Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Little 15 minute video on Prince Naseem. 

I’m going to have to watch the Kevin Kelly fight again. And I forgot just how brutal that Liendo KO was. His head fucking bounced. 

4940476A-618C-4125-B370-FF4290DA9A34.gif

Didn’t help that it came just a week after Benn vs McClellan. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

This was 18 years ago today.

3-C49-BD7-D-E1-B5-4397-A66-F-825-DE9-D42

It wasn’t the best of fights but I still vividly remember the buildup and the night I watched this, what I did and who was there. Pretty sure Sky Box Office aired it live in a big fuck off 8 hour block or something because I remember trying to record it all on VHS. Without even checking, I remember there being a young Manny Pacquiao fight on the undercard. And I’m almost certain they showed the entire first Arturo Gatti vs Mickey Ward fight as part of the marathon broadcast well, as it had happened just weeks before. It was on the Sky version anyway. 

59-EE04-BC-FBC7-4618-998-F-1-ADD518-BFD1

What an event. The volatile buildup sticks with me. Tyson was a proper cunt and nearly got the whole thing cancelled. Biting Lewis’ leg at the press conference, that outburst where he threatened to “fuck faggots til they loved him” etc. And I remember him being vile to one of the women journalists during an interview, saying something like ‘I usually don’t do interviews with women unless I fornicate with them. So you should be quiet, unless you wanna...’ The biting incident is the reason it had to be moved to Memphis. After all that, plus Tyson’s rapey past, seeing big Lennox break him up and then put him down was sweet.

36-A1486-B-76-E7-4-AA0-98-C6-D2-EE7-CFBA

Wasn’t as meaningful as it’d have been if they fought in the 90s, they’d both passed their prime by 2002, but I do think getting Tyson’s name on his record was one of the defining moments of Lewis’ overall legacy. Without it, people would’ve always speculated so it was good that he got to completely outclass him on such a big stage. Huge fight though, even at that point in their careers. I was 16 and still going Boxing training at the time and had just started working. I remember the buzz of everyone talking about it like it was yesterday. At the gym, at work, at home. From obsessed fight fans to people you never would’ve expected to talk Boxing with. From a middle aged Polish woman at work to my girlfriend at the time’s Mum to the Greek guy who owned the chippy at the top of our road. Everyone had an opinion.

LEWIS

TYSON

There are a few things I remember about Lewis vs Tyson (keep in mind I was only 14 when it happened)

- There was speculation that they had signed for 2 bouts instead of 1. 

- Tyson actually did pretty well in the first round. 

- The tabloid press were quite lukewarm towards Lewis. He certainly wasn't as beloved as Joshua is today. 

- One of Sky's pundits openly admitted before the fight that Tyson was no longer an elite level heavyweight. He claimed that Tua was the second best heavyweight in the world behind Lewis. 

16 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

spot on from Mr. Bellew:

😄

In fairness to Bellew, many others believed that Price was better than Fury prior to 2013. 

• Paid Members

Top Rank returned last night. I skipped and viewed some highlights, it was a predictably one sided night though.

Top Rank are planning on rolling out a couple of shows a week for the summer. Do worry that every show will end up being a series of mismatches though.

Teddy sums it up:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Mental that Daniel Kinahan's name is starting to creep into the boxing mainstream more and more these days. A few days ago it was announced that he'd set up some deal with the Saudi's/Warren/Arum and others to host some mega events over in Saudi. The comment section on Twitter is brutal whenever his name is brought up.

41 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Mental that Daniel Kinahan's name is starting to creep into the boxing mainstream more and more these days. A few days ago it was announced that he'd set up some deal with the Saudi's/Warren/Arum and others to host some mega events over in Saudi. The comment section on Twitter is brutal whenever his name is brought up.

Arum mentioned Kinahan's name on IFL a month or so ago. That was the beginning of people acknowledging that he was still involved in the boxing game. Kinahan is now openly working with MTK again, and some believe he never actually parted ways with them. 

As part of an attempt to soften Kinhan's public image in preparation for his re-introduction into the boxing mainstream, there was short film/documentary released last month about the 2016 incident where three gunman tried to shoot Kinahan at a weigh-in in Dublin. The film alleged that the police and politicians may have orchestrated the shooting to influence an upcoming election. Despite public support from the likes of BJS (prick), Kugan Cassius (tosser), and others, few took the film seriously and Youtube has since taken it down. 

Jamie Moore was shot by gangsters believing him to be Kinahan in 2014. One rumour doing the rounds is that Frampton was later "persuaded" to hire Moore as his trainer as compensation for the shooting. Stories like this are just the tip of the iceberg. 

So aye, mental stuff. 

Edited by jimufctna24