Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

BoxRec & ESPN have got Joyce down to fight Marco Huck in January in Germany. Someone better let Joyce know, he thinks he's fighting in Stevenage in May.

Right old heavyweight ding dong on PBC last night. Prospect, Efe Ajagba fought veteran, Iago Kiladze. Ajagba is big, rugged and tough with a deadly right hand. He put Kiladze down in the 2nd round and then every punch afterwards looked like it would stop the fight. Ajagba hit Kiladze with a punch in the 3rd that staggered him backwards across the ring but didn't go down. As they came in close quarters again, Ajagba dropped his guard and Kiladze countered and put Ajagba down for a quick knockdown. Ajagba stalked him in the 4th looking for that killer shot but couldn't find it. As he upped the pressure in the 5th, Kiladze started to relent and crumpled in a heap from a knockdown. But the bloke has a lot of heart and got back up again and kept on coming. In the end, the corner threw in the towel to save Kiladze from himself.

• Paid Members

I’m really enjoying watching Daniel Dubois progress and grow in his career. Wicked jab and frightening punching power. Fujimoto seemed pretty tough as well but you’re just not going to stand up to that kind of power for long. 

The bit with Joe Joyce after was a bit painful, like any time a microphone is put in front of Joyce. If that fight happens then I can already hear the moaning about how dull the press conference will be. I want to see the fight though. I don’t even mind Joyce as much as some seem to, but at this point I’m more than up for seeing Triple D iron him out. And to be fair to Dubois, I feel like he is getting a bit better at the interviews and media stuff. He definitely seemed more smiley and comfortable in front of the cameras in the post-fight bit than I’d seen him before. 

But yeah, I don’t necessarily think it’ll be easy but I’d be happy to see Dubois flatten Joyce sometime in 2020. If for no other reason than to wipe the smug look off the face of Sam Jones with the little red jacket. 

8356BF94-2F3C-4EF7-9200-BB8A5EA13EC8.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Oh yeh, i think the success of Paul/KSI II all but guaranteed they'd do it again. I have no issue with it, as someone who loves the freakshow element of MMA and anything strange combat sports related i dont see the problem.

Yup, a fight for the ages. Absolutely no idea how this is going to go. Fury has a habit of fighting to the level of competition he faces, so there's every chance we see a tremendous performance on the 22nd, despite him looking a bit shit in recent outings.

How will the change of coaching affect him? Has he been distracted by the WWE stuff? Wilder has looked sharp and on-point his past few fights.

I really hope we see a Fury win, resulting in a Fury vs Joshua match in the UK. That would be the pinnacle for British heavyweight boxing, wouldn't it? 

• Paid Members

100% especially with Fury going in off the back of a Wilder win.

Given all the circumstances going in and current form i make Wilder the favorite in the rematch. I think fight likely looks very similar to the first, i just think Wilder finds the shot to put Tyson away this time.

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

100% especially with Fury going in off the back of a Wilder win.

Given all the circumstances going in and current form i make Wilder the favorite in the rematch. I think fight likely looks very similar to the first, i just think Wilder finds the shot to put Tyson away this time.

I agree, and I think Wilder has been in better form since their first fight. I'm dubious that Tyson has the mental capacity to juggle as many hats as he has of late while still staying on top of his boxing and come in focused. All the WWE stuff was entertaining, but while he's doing that, and singing with Robbie Williams Wilder is Clubber Lang-ing it, training like a madman and stopping fools with scary power.

Saying that, if Fury comes in sharp, on-point and ready to go I can see him winning it. When he's on and mentally focused he's a technical boxer like no other, and can make anyone look stupid. 

I read something in a boxing magazine about Fury's coaching change, and it was someone who's a former fighter (forgotten his name) who said that while the change may make sense on the surface of it, it's silly little things like not having the same person doing the warm-ups that first time you're with a new coach, and not seeing that familiar face when you come back to the corner after a difficult round that can throw you a bit.

I also don't mind Wilder. He's a decent enough guy, and he's exciting. I'm not actively wanting him to lose as much as I want Fury to win. In all honesty, either of them facing Joshua next would be huge, so regardless of who wins, the fans will get a good result out of it.

• Paid Members

Showtime squeezing a nice little card tonight:

maxresdefault.jpg

not sure if there's a UK broadcast but thats a decent double header. Davis is threatening a proper breakout year in 2020, and Gamboa is the flashy veteran who seems reborn recently.

Similar case for Pascal. Everyone thought he was finished but he came out last time out to upset Marcus Browne for a version of the Light Heavyweight Title. Badou Jack is returning from suffering one of the worst cuts ever in his last fight, losing to the same guy that Pascal went on to beat.

DxXQ9yvWsAMt5Ug.jpg:large

• Paid Members

Showtime card was good. Pascal/Jack was better than it had any right to be, both men down, Pascal throwing bombs and lots sways in the action. I thought Jack did enough but Pascal nicked it to retain.

Tank Davis is a strange one. At times against Gamboa he looked great, but there were periods late on where he was weirdly tired for a 135lb fighter. He got the stoppage but id expect another year of protection off the back of that performance. They aint gonna risk putting him with any of the big lightweight players.

Edited by Egg Shen

Davis is quality but I think he's going to come up short at lightweight to Lomachenko or Lopez. This is the first fight where Davis went past 8 rounds and he's had 23 fights and been a world champion for two years. His power may be his Achilles heel if he can't condition himself to go full tilt for 12 rounds.