Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

When I was young, I was told that the big belts at HW were the WBC and the WBA belts. I'm guessing that's changed?

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

When I was young, I was told that the big belts at HW were the WBC and the WBA belts. I'm guessing that's changed?

I always thought the WBC was the 'biggie' by quite a distance and then WBO was the mickey mouse one with the other two sandwiched in between. Was never really sure, nor had much of an opinion what difference there was between IBF and WBA in terms of prestige.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin
typo

I always remember the WBO title as the belt that Wladamir held when I first started watching boxing on Sky Sports. 

However, looking at its history, it traditionally has been a 2nd tier heavyweight title - https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/WBO_Heavyweight_Champion

Edited by jimufctna24

the WBC is usually considered the top belt, thats likely down to its history though.

...any love here for the IBO? what about the WBF?😄

If I'd been a pro boxer, I'd have gone heel on everyone by fighting for the lowest-rung world titles, then go around festooned with belts calling myself "the real World Champion", never fighting any of the real ones.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, Carbomb said:

They were, and the IBF was the Mickey Mouse one, I think it started about 1983?  But yeah, then the WBO came about and was laughed at, then it went full alphabet soup and people stopped giving a fuck.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, Carbomb said:

If I'd been a pro boxer, I'd have gone heel on everyone by fighting for the lowest-rung world titles, then go around festooned with belts calling myself "the real World Champion", never fighting any of the real ones.

thats what Chris Eubank did when he won the IBO title.

The Golden Contract series continues tonight on Sky Sports Action from 7:30pm onward.

It's the Light Heavyweights this time. Hosea Burton is the only name I recognise. 

this is tonight as well, solid Top Rank card (only on Fite in the UK though). Lopez/Commey is a great fight.

191214_CrawfordMeanMachine_Annoucement_1

I've had a feeling for a while that all isn't well in the Fury camp. Furys's family always seemed so tight but since Davison came around its all been fractured. Fingers we're pointed at Davison after the Wallin fight and we never found out why Tyson split from his uncle Peter. Strange turn of events considering Davison was given a massive part of the credit for Fury's comeback.

Davison has been responsible for keeping Fury on the straight & narrow, as well as helping him come back from the depths. To put it another way, if it had been left up to his family, he'd still be sitting on the couch eating kebabs and playing PS4.

Let's hope we don't see him veer off track now that the man who helped him focus is gone.