Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

On 12/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, Carbomb said:

When I was young, I was told that the big belts at HW were the WBC and the WBA belts. I'm guessing that's changed?

They were, and the IBF was the Mickey Mouse one, I think it started about 1983?  But yeah, then the WBO came about and was laughed at, then it went full alphabet soup and people stopped giving a fuck.

• Paid Members
On 12/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, Carbomb said:

If I'd been a pro boxer, I'd have gone heel on everyone by fighting for the lowest-rung world titles, then go around festooned with belts calling myself "the real World Champion", never fighting any of the real ones.

thats what Chris Eubank did when he won the IBO title.

• Paid Members

I've had a feeling for a while that all isn't well in the Fury camp. Furys's family always seemed so tight but since Davison came around its all been fractured. Fingers we're pointed at Davison after the Wallin fight and we never found out why Tyson split from his uncle Peter. Strange turn of events considering Davison was given a massive part of the credit for Fury's comeback.

Davison has been responsible for keeping Fury on the straight & narrow, as well as helping him come back from the depths. To put it another way, if it had been left up to his family, he'd still be sitting on the couch eating kebabs and playing PS4.

Let's hope we don't see him veer off track now that the man who helped him focus is gone.

• Paid Members

Yeh that's the worry. From an outsiders perpspective ive always seen Davison as more of a mate to Tyson that anything else. I dont think Davison would ever have provided a degree of boxing knowledge that helped Tyson given his limited experienxe, its more he more just got him into the right frame of mind get in shape. Ive also suspected that perhaps.

Not ideal considering you 12 weeks out from a Wilder rematch.

Anyone catch the Top Rank card?

Terence Crawford was in deep for a few rounds, he was dropped in round 3 (wrongly ruled a slip) then decided to meat Mean Machine head on and outfight him, not ideal tactically but he got through it and got a KO in an exciting fight. They need to sort out Crawford a big fight in 2020.

Teofimo Lopez was his first world title with a shock 2nd round KO. Great performance and really solidifies as Lopez as one of the top guys to watch next year, Lopez/Loma will happen.

Tyson's new trainer is Sugarhill Steward. He's the nephew and protege of Emanual Steward. Full details here - https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/11888471/tyson-fury8217s-new-trainer-sugarhill-steward-on-their-link-up-and-the-plan-to-beat-deontay-wilder

After reading that article, I am more positive about Fury's decision. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I think this could be a positive. Davidson worked with regards to him being the right man to get Fury back into ring shape. However, there have been rumblings after the Wilder fight that he's not really up to it. IIRC, Freddie Roach was critical of the corner advice of Davidson and Roach sort of has a clue about that.

Also, by the sounds of it, Davidson's influence on Fury has withered post-Wilder (by the sounds of it Tyson does as he pleases). Maybe Fury has found himself in a bit of a rut and has realised he needs new ideas. Certainly if he fights the way he did during his last fight he'll be in for a rough night v Wilder.

The thing is, he can have the best boxing coach in his corner all he pleases, but if he has no one there to keep him in check mentally and to make sure he doesn't veer off the path then it won't matter a jot. 

He's always had the boxing ability. That was never the issue, it's his extra-curricular activities that fucked him up, and he has always said that Davison was key to getting him back to where he is today.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

The thing is, he can have the best boxing coach in his corner all he pleases, but if he has no one there to keep him in check mentally and to make sure he doesn't veer off the path then it won't matter a jot. 

He's always had the boxing ability. That was never the issue, it's his extra-curricular activities that fucked him up, and he has always said that Davison was key to getting him back to where he is today.

Davison was great in that he managed to get Tyson to lose all that weight. However, by the sounds of it, Tyson happily does all that himself now - it's why some have questioned if he over trains now and Davison can't convince Tyson otherwise. He could fall off the deep end again, but Tyson seems very aware of what to do to make sure that doesn't happen.

We'll see how it pans out. As discussed, Davison has his critics. 100% he was the best coach for Tyson on the comeback, but his next coach may take him to another level now. If he thumps Wilder and stays healthy then it will prove to be a brilliant move.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Josh Taylor has been charged with making racial and homophobic comments towards a bouncer - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50839281

Taylor called the Asian bouncer "a gay looking c**t" and labelled him "a big Orange looking c**t" when he and a pal were chucked out the capital's trendy Shanghai club in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Disappointed about this, thought Taylor was better than that. He was also found in possession of cocaine, but his not-guilty plea was accepted by the courts.