Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

who does everyone think will be next for AJ? he has to deal with the mandatory situation so id say the smart money is on Pulev. Id prefer the Usyk fight but it looks like he'll fight Chisora in Feb.

14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

who does everyone think will be next for AJ? he has to deal with the mandatory situation so id say the smart money is on Pulev. Id prefer the Usyk fight but it looks like he'll fight Chisora in Feb.

Joshua will probably fight Pulev next. Hearn said yesterday that the IBF belt is more importantly historically than the WBO belt. And Pulev is mandatory for the IBF belt. 

Usyk will probably fight either Chisora or Parker in the meantime. It all depends on whether Joshua vacates the WBO belt or not. Hearn said yesterday that Del Boy is not ranked high enough to fight for the WBO belt. And as I wrote on Sunday, Higgins has been badgering the WBO to book Usyk vs Parker.

9 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Joshua will probably fight Pulev next. Hearn said yesterday that the IBF belt is more importantly historically than the WBO belt. And Pulev is mandatory for the IBF belt. 

Usyk will probably fight either Chisora or Parker in the meantime. It all depends on whether Joshua vacates the WBO belt or not. Hearn said yesterday that Del Boy is not ranked high enough to fight for the WBO belt. And as I wrote on Sunday, Higgins has been badgering the WBO to book Usyk vs Parker.

The multitude of belts situation is fucking insane, and not something I pay any attention to. For me, it's the RING Magazine rankings all the way, and they don't have a definitive heavyweight champion at present. There's three main players in the division. We all know who they are. Parker or Usyk being handed a shot at a belt that they don't really deserve makes no difference.

• Paid Members

Unfortunately its how it goes with the mandatory situation. AJ wants to fight earlyish next year so with Wilder/Fury tied (thought im still not convinced it happens) knocking off a mandatory makes sense, and it's more than likely Pulev. 

Yeah, but it doesn't mean that people need to recognise these belts and their holders as legit. I mean, if Joshua vacates the WBO belt and lets say Parker beats Usyk in an eliminator fight, is anyone gonna be like "well, Fury, Wilder and Joshua may be the main players, but Parker is in the mix as well as world champion"?

Of course not. The belts mean fuck all in the grand scheme of things. The important pieces of the division are Joshua and Wilder with belts, and fury as former undisputed champion who never lost the title in the ring. The others matter not a jot unless they beat one of those three.

• Paid Members

I see what you're saying, but thats just the way boxing goes. As long as there's 4 governing bodies all jockying for position with mandatories and getting their belt inline to be defended there's always gonna be bullshit like that Usyk/Parker situation you mention above.

You dont need to look far to see many examples of guys becoming world champions without really deserving it or even beating a champ to become champ. I guess its how someone defends a belt that truly solidifies their position as a legit world champion. Joshua's initial path is great proof of that, he first became champ beating a guy who won a vacant belt in a fight where a guy injured his knee and couldnt continue. Joshua went on to defend the same belt 6 times, i guess by that he'd proven he was a legit world champion.

People only pay attention to the actions of certain governing bodies because they explain why certain fights are made and others are not. 

Of course no one is going to say that Parker, if he wins the WBO belt, is in the same bracket as Fury. I don't think that needed to be said. I mean, Charr holds a version of the WBA belt, yet he isn't ranked in RING's top 10, or even in contention to fight anyone notable at the minute.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

When I was young, I was told that the big belts at HW were the WBC and the WBA belts. I'm guessing that's changed?

I always thought the WBC was the 'biggie' by quite a distance and then WBO was the mickey mouse one with the other two sandwiched in between. Was never really sure, nor had much of an opinion what difference there was between IBF and WBA in terms of prestige.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin
typo

• Paid Members

If I'd been a pro boxer, I'd have gone heel on everyone by fighting for the lowest-rung world titles, then go around festooned with belts calling myself "the real World Champion", never fighting any of the real ones.