Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Hearing talk that Wilder is holding off on signing the contract for the Fury rematch until the Joshua/Ruiz fight has taken place. Word is that a win for Ruiz would see Wilder choose to face him instead in an all-American battle for the belts.

Makes sense, of course, but it would be shit to not see the Fury rematch.

• Paid Members

Ive never really bought the talk of February 22nd for the rematch. 

Wilder was giving it the 'one face...' schpiel again last weekend too so it could be about the unification. Im fairly certain the winner of Joshua/Ruiz has to deal with a mandatory though before a potential Wilder fight. Lots of talk the winner having to give up certain belts.

8 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Ive never really bought the talk of February 22nd for the rematch. 

Wilder was giving it the 'one face...' schpiel again last weekend too so it could be about the unification. Im fairly certain the winner of Joshua/Ruiz has to deal with a mandatory though before a potential Wilder fight. Lots of talk the winner having to give up certain belts.

Wilder's just being smart. It obviously sucks for Fury, but if you're Wilder you wait and see who wins the fight between Ruiz/Joshua and see what the lay of the land is there. If the Saudi's love what they got and are prepared to throw more money at another fight, why wouldn't Wilder want part of that? 

Fury will get his big fight eventually no doubt, and if Ruiz wins again could we maybe even see that huge Fury/Joshua British fight we've all wanted? I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Paid Members

i would have watched that live, ive gotta work though. Hughie Fury has dropped off the card.

Theres a show on BT at the same time...

Midlands-Mayhem-On-Sale.jpg

Then Carl Frampton returns in the wee small hours:

valdez-frampton-nov-30-1.png

The advertised Valdez fight is off though, Gurierrez came in 11lb over weight 🙄

Edited by Egg Shen

Any predictions for this weekend's big fight? I am currently leaning towards Ruiz. But I have changed my mind several times already. 

Oh, and an early heads up for those who don't know. Joshua and Ruiz will enter the ring at sometime between 8:30pm and 9pm, rather than the usual 10pm. 

I honestly have no idea how this will go. 

I think the first three rounds will determine it. If Joshua looks good, has some early success and isn't caught with anything I think his confidence will grow and he could go on and win, but any kind of setback early on and I think he'll start to doubt himself.

It's going to be interesting.

• Paid Members

It's hard to predict it. I think Joshua has a clear path to victory if he can get his jab going and stay on his bike when Ruiz shuffles in. I just cant recall another fight that has dissected a fighters mindset going in like this one has regarding Joshua and thats what makes it fascinating. You still have to question Ruiz' too, there's always the risk that he'll be overly complacent, Ruiz may be thinking that all he has to do is land a shot on Joshua's chin. Cant wait.

If i had to wager money though, i'll say Joshua by UD.

• Paid Members

I’ve got a feeling Joshua wins but I don’t even really know why. There are questions on both for me. On Joshua because he’s coming off his first loss. And a loss where the other guy got up from his knockdown punch and came back to stop him. That has to fuck with you a bit. And the questions on Ruiz are like Ebb says, will he come in complacent now? There’s also the chance of him losing his ‘eye of the tiger’ now he’s reached the top of the mountain and scored that upset in June. I don’t get the sense he’ll have taken his eye off the ball but you never know. I think Ruiz will come in really motivated to prove the first time wasn’t a fluke though. And AJ’s obviously up against it because you really don’t want two losses to the same man. A win here re-opens the possibilities of potential monster fights with both Wilder and Fury in 2020, plus a trilogy decider with Ruiz. If he loses I’m not sure where that leaves him. Maybe he just retires but I can’t see him wanting to finish up on back-to-back losses.