Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

well fuck me, i give everyone a heads up here, i warned my mate and i even checked what time the repeat was on tonight...has a lapse in concentration in work, went on twitter and saw a spoiler. Fuck sake.

Managed to avoid the result all day thankfully. Cracking fight. Donaire fought really well and did way better than I imagined he would. Inoue pulled ahead at the end though and the knockdown ultimately sealed it for him. 

Just saw this as well. Is this the real poster/show name? Looks like Frank Warren found the Christmas av/sig thread on here and got @chokeout to sort the poster out. I actually quite like it. Although I’m glad they didn’t ruin Dubois’ stone cold killer aura by plonking a Santa hat on him. That might’ve been his Goldberg wearing Goldust’s wig moment. 

4795AA3A-E6C7-4C4C-B697-3871122CA55C.jpeg

We have been very lucky the last few weeks. Prograis/Taylor, Cash/Cullen, and Donaire/Inouye have all been absolutely cracking. I think that today's may have been the best of the lot. What a fight, some tremendous power punches thrown by both, both in trouble at points, just a great fight. The scoring was a bit odd but I think the right result was reached. Coked Up Kalle has done well with both Super Series finals. 

Kalle may look like Chris Benoit on speed, but he's easily my favourite boxing promoter. Hearn is overexposed these days. And Warren, while an entertaining interview, is still ultimately Warren.

The Super Series has been a bit of a mess since it inception, but it's provided some of my favourite boxing moments of the past few years, such as Groves beating Eubank, Taylor vs Prograis, Inoue vs Donaire, etc. It also raised Usyk's profile and established him as a P4P contender. 

Fingers crossed the Heavyweight Super Series delivers next year. 

13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Just saw this as well. Is this the real poster/show name? Looks like Frank Warren found the Christmas av/sig thread on here and got @chokeout to sort the poster out. I actually quite like it. Although I’m glad they didn’t ruin Dubois’ stone cold killer aura by plonking a Santa hat on him. That might’ve been his Goldberg wearing Goldust’s wig moment. 

4795AA3A-E6C7-4C4C-B697-3871122CA55C.jpeg

Warren was apparently looking for an opponent of name value to run the o2, clearly couldnt find one.

Fujimoto is another K-1 crossover though, he has kickboxing wins over Jerome Le Banner, Peter Aerts, Gokhan Saki and a bunch of others. Seems to be be happening loads recently.

They’ve built it well, wouldn’t say I’m looking forward to it but I’ll be watching, I’d probably give Logan Paul the win just due to size alone but I doubt his training sessions have been taken as serious as KSI’s due to Logan having Shannon Briggs as his head trainer, whilst KSI has been in with the Mayweather’s.

Pair of YouTubers, fuck's sake. Paul's one of the dirt-worst, though - one of those tossers who literally just got a following for just being him and attracting a load of pre-teen girls and gays who fancied him. KSI's not much better though.

No interest in this. However the match goes, those douchebags win, unless they end up Gerald McClellan-ing each other (not that I'm hoping for that).

It's boxing for the Nickelodeon audience.

My 11 year old step-niece asked me about this the other day. She showed me footage of Paul training on her phone. She wouldn't be able to identify Usyk, Fury, and probably even Joshua in a police line-up.

catchup needed!

i aint seen Wilder/Ortiz yet but Smith/Ryder delivered last night in ring, it also delivered some of the worst scorecards of the year. I had Ryder winning 115-113, near enough all of twitter had Ryder winning yet Smith won on the cards 117-111, 116-112 (x2), just an absolute travesty. I could understand a close decision nod for Smith but i cant fathom how they got those cards. Ryder fought out of his skin, he bullied Smith around the ring despite being the much smaller man.

There was talk that Smith beats Canelo before last night at Super Middleweight, not a chance.

None of them are beating Canelo for a while, I don’t think. I never thought Callum Smith would’ve given him much trouble even before last night. And I’m not having that fucking Billy Jean Saunders is the boogeyman that Canelo is somehow shitting himself of and avoiding either. Not seeing it, never have. Who else is there? He beat Jacobs. He wasted Kovalev. You’ve got Demetrius Andrade, Jermall Charlo, Jaime Munguía and David Benavidez who are all unbeaten but I don’t know, I just don’t see it. And I think Munguía and Benavidez, both being in their early 20s, could probably do with at least a year or two more before stepping in with someone with the quality of Canelo anyway. Golovkin ran him really close in their fights but the clock is ticking and with every month that passes I think his chances in a potential third fight diminish. Short of a Mayweather return I don’t see anyone beating him for a while. And even then, who knows anymore with Floyd. Canelo has matured as a fighter in the 6 years since they fought and Floyd is just 6 years older. Not that I think Floyd vs Canelo 2 ever happens. Floyd’s not stupid enough to risk that at 42. 

Not saying none of the above couldn’t give him a close or competitive fight but I just don’t think any of them hand him a loss while he’s on the form he’s in currently. And definitely not Jorge Masvidal if that goofy crossover fight somehow materialises. 

So yeah, like him or not I think the Canelo show will rumble on for a bit yet. 

AD88718A-692D-450B-BB7B-E7EA8E0C2514.gif