Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Easily the FOTY for me so far. We haven’t really had that many FOTY contenders this year, have we? Unless I’m overlooking something obvious. Spence vs Porter blew everything else out of the water for me. 

Haven't seen it mentioned but Golovkin vs Derevyanchenko is live on Sky Sports tonight. 

• Paid Members

yeh, seems to be a lot going around that this fight may mark the beginning of the downfall for GGG. Might look a gimmie at first glance, but Derevyanchenko gave Danny Jacobs fits and people seem to think hes very much a live 'dog here. I aint seen him fight to comment but its gonna be interesting.

Anyone see that stuff with Claressa Shields/Ivana Habazin? was meant to fight tonight but someone sucker punched Habazin's coach (i think from Shields' team) and he was knocked out for 20 minutes. Shocking, the fight is off.

Also, Charlie Edwards has vacated his WBC Title and moved up. Probably for the best, i dont think it was wise to take that Martinez rematch. Seeing some backlash towards the move.

Fowler/Fitzpatrick has been definately UK fight of the year. The thing about the Spence/Porter fight was, it was a throwback to some of the great fights from the 80/90’s where two top world class fighters went hell for leather, neither taking a backwards step. Fighters nowadays are normally alot more reserved , even when theyre losing a fight they dont throw the kitchen sink at the opponent to win. Alot of fighters nowadays will survive and live to fight another day. I’m not saying theres anything wrong with that but that’s what i’ve become accustomed to as a fan. This fight was an absoloute treat to watch,  Especially as i thought Spence would outclass him.

The highest praise i could give it was it reminded me slightly of Leonard/Duran 1, where Porter made Spence fight his fight. I think if there was a rematch that Spence would fight alot smarter and maybe try and keep Porter on the outside. Easier said than done though.

Edited by Porkchopcash

This is an interesting watch for any non boxing fans who do not know the back story. It details Moseleys PED history and also Margaritos hand wrap scandal which for some reason was played down live in air. The commentaters mention how Margarito is actually more popular with Mexicans for not speaking English. I never really realised that before but i guess thats why Canelo doesnt really do interviews or talk much in English.  

• Paid Members

Anyone watched Golovkin vs Derevyanchenko yet? Wasn’t Spence vs Porter great but it was a quality fight. Derevyanchenko really pushed GGG and made him look his 37 years at times. GGG is class though. It was a close fight and like with any close fight you’ll always get the outcries of robbery afterwards. I had Golovkin winning but it wasn’t like I was sat there with a pen and notepad scoring closely and I wouldn’t have been outraged had they scored it to Derevyanchenko. Don’t think it was a robbery though. There were a handful of rounds that could’ve gone either way. 

The GGG fight was another high quality 12 rounds of action lastnight. GGG wasnt himself, ive saw interview headlines saying he was ill going into the fight, but you never know. He is now 37, i imagine Canelo will be licking his chops to complete the trilogy after watching last night. I just hope BJS doesnt get a fight with him.  Not sure where GGG goes now? Andrade? High risk low reward.  The other middleweight champs bring nothing to the table for him. 

• Paid Members

I’d be cool with a rematch but I hope GGG gets that third crack at Canelo next and the payday that goes with it before he retires. 

He’s definitely lost a step but I think the overall narrative of him declining is being a bit overplayed. I usually find Matthew Macklin pretty spot on in his commentary but I thought he was a bit too doom and gloom with the ‘Golovkin looked old tonight’ stuff at the end. Anyone would think he looked terrible. He didn’t. An old washed up man wouldn’t have been going 12 rounds at a pace like that with a machine like Derevyanchenko. And whether you had him winning or losing he had a fair share of the rounds. Golovkin is still class at 37 years old. He’s just a shade less than what he used to be. People seem to have been wanting to declare Golovkin old and declining for ages. It was similar after the Jacobs fight. Instead of saying ‘fair play to Jacobs, he gave GGG a great close fight’ it was ‘GGG looks old, he’s slipping’ etc. He took Canelo to the wire twice after that. Everyone has to be so dramatic after fights. Especially in Boxing. You could dominate all your career and go 50-0 but you go to one split decision and everyone gets Jim Watt syndrome and says you’re ready for the care home. 

It wasn’t the best he’s ever looked but Golovkin didn’t look bad to me last night. I think Derevyanchenko deserves more of the credit for the fight being so close. Hopefully Canelo does see it as Golovkin slowing down though because I could quite easily watch those two fight a Best Of 7 and not get bored of it.