Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

Harold Lederman has died😔 real sad news, Lederman just has one of those legendary voices that gave you that warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feeling, without doubt the greatest in fight scorer ever. Boxing will be a different place when all these old school characters are gone. Felt the same when Bert Sugar passed.

RIP.

Ah man that’s a shame. Always used to enjoy his enthusiasm when he’d come on during fights to give his score. Always something like;

Jim Lampley: Harold, how did you have it? 

Harold Lederman: OK Jim, with the knockdown I had it 10-8 to Manny...’Pacman’...Pacquiao. Jim, I gotta tell ya, he’s looking better than ever here. He’s fast, he’s sharp and that knockdown could’ve ended it. Marquez is gonna have to really dig deep now. 10-8 to Pacquiao. OK back to you guys. JIM!!’

The over the top ‘JIM’ at the end always cracked me up. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Really giddy about the Taylor vs Baranchyk fight this weekend. 

I haven't supported a boxer with this much enthusiasm since the Hatton years. Froch and Haye came close (yes, I know, Haye was a pillock), but there were chunks of their careers that I didn't follow religiously. I have followed Taylor throughout most of his rise to the top. I love his fighting style and he comes across as a top bloke in interviews. 

Fingers crossed he prevails on Saturday night. 

Yeh a decent night of boxing. BT have a card then isnt Wilder on through the night?

Also Pacman has signed to face Thurman, i actually fancy Pacman to beat him. 

Fuck paying for that. 

While I’m here, Bob Arum contradicting himself on Joshua vs Ruiz...

The second clip there is from an IFL interview with Arum, Fish Eyes and Tyson Fury, which sounds like it’d be worth a listen but is probably just same old;

At this point, all these cunts need to start fighting each other. We’ve got Joshua, Wilder and Fury all claiming to be the man but they’re all fighting uninteresting opposition instead of each other. Then the recent talk of Fury vs Whyte sounded promising until Ben Davison shot it down and said Whyte already declined it and it’s just Hearn playing the media. It’s all just a mess. The hope is that with AJ, Wilder and Fury all fighting within a month, some combination of those 3 gets made for later in the year. If they all win their fights over the next few weeks and all take different fights next then it’s the biggest joke since whoever thought putting Fury vs Schwarz on PPV was funny. If they all take other fights, at that point Dave Allen might as well claim he’s the man as well. They all point the finger at each other but they’re all at it. You can’t have 3 men running around saying they’re the top heavyweight in the world then never fight each other. In fairness I think Joshua and Fury would fight anyone if the deal is good/their teams agree on it. But I really don’t think Wilder wants any of either of them anymore. He seems to define himself by that unbeaten record and after that Fury fight, where deep down he must know he lost, I think how close he came to losing that has spooked him. 

Edited by wandshogun09

heres an easy watch, Paulie breaking down Wilder Brazeale. I think Wilder will struggle. Brazeale took some great shots from AJ and definately wont be intimidated by Wilder, plus the added history between the two could make for an interesting match.  

4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

While I’m here, Bob Arum contradicting himself on Joshua vs Ruiz...

Bob Arum is 87 years old. Most guys that age can hardly tie their own shoes or wash themselves, so we should probably cut him a bit of slack if he forgets the odd thing here or there.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Ah man that’s a shame. Always used to enjoy his enthusiasm when he’d come on during fights to give his score. Always something like;

Jim Lampley: Harold, how did you have it? 

Harold Lederman: OK Jim, with the knockdown I had it 10-8 to Manny...’Pacman’...Pacquiao. Jim, I gotta tell ya, he’s looking better than ever here. He’s fast, he’s sharp and that knockdown could’ve ended it. Marquez is gonna have to really dig deep now. 10-8 to Pacquiao. OK back to you guys. JIM!!’

The over the top ‘JIM’ at the end always cracked me up. 

Deontay Wilder has outdone himself this week with the "i want a body on my record" schpiel, what an absolute nugget he is.

34 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Deontay Wilder has outdone himself this week with the "i want a body on my record" schpiel, what an absolute nugget he is.

I was just watching him last night on a recent episode of Billions, and my instant thought was "stick to boxing man, you ain't no actor," even though his part was fairly limited. 

55 minutes ago, David said:

I was just watching him last night on a recent episode of Billions, and my instant thought was "stick to boxing man, you ain't no actor," even though his part was fairly limited. 

Dunno - he's done an excellent job in his role as "elite World Champion"

37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Dunno - he's done an excellent job in his role as "elite World Champion"

You have him down as a schmuck, C-Bomb? A bum? 

A chump?!?

35 minutes ago, David said:

You have him down as a schmuck, C-Bomb? A bum? 

A chump?!?

Hahaha, it was just an easy gag to make. Although his resume doesn't seem quite as glittering as AJ's, I don't think you get to the level he does by being a bum, certainly.