Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Its Gorman/Dubois for July then as expected. Think a few people were thrown by the Warren tease of Joyce being put in the mix but it was always gonna be Dubois/Gorman.

Glad Fish has put it together. A few months ago it sounded like he was gonna overcook it and have these guys fight a year or two more before matching them. Given the current climate i think its best to just match guys up, the way things you are you need to be providing the fights fans want to see. Great stuff.

Interesting...

TYSON FURY has been ordered by the WBC to fight Dillian Whyte as a final eliminator in order to finally secure his much-anticipated rematch with Deontay Wilder.

The 30-year-old ex-heavyweight world champion climbed off the deck to earn a heroic draw when the giant duo met on December 1 for the American’s WBC title.

The two vowed to re-run the showdown but the Gypsy King penned a mega-money deal with ESPN, killing a repeat as Wilder is backed by rival broadcasters Showtime.

However, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has now revealed they have ordered Fury to face Whyte as the final eliminator to decide Wilder's next mandatory, according to ThaBoxingvoice.

In a further twist, the Brixton banger's team have turned down the offer because they're pushing for a bout with Oscar Rivas to be the last challenge.

Whyte, 30, has an extended history with WBC champ Wilder, 33, as he has been the No1 challenger for his belt since 2017 - but has yet to receive a world title fight.

Instead, Wilder ended up defending his title against Fury in December, drawing the bout, before the WBC handed mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale the next shot.

Fury had incredibly revealed earlier this week that he's already planned for the end of his career without a Best of Britain showdown with Anthony Joshua.

Fury announced that he wants just three more fights then he's "gone", with the first of which being his next bout against the unknown Tom Schwarz.

The 30-year-old, who will fight for the first time in Las Vegas against the undefeated German in June, also confirmed his next fight will be on September 28.

Although the opponent is yet to be named, Fury's US promoter Bob Arum previously hinted that the Brit is set for a second tune-up bout after Schwarz.

So, Fury signs an £80 million deal with ESPN for his next five fights, then claims he's retiring after three? 🤨

Edited by David

I also note that Bob Arum has said that Fury is set for another "tune up" fight after his next one.

Only in boxing can a 30 year old former undisputed world champion get a "tune-up" fight in supposedly the 2nd last fight of his career.

A tune up for what exactly, Bob?

• Paid Members

The whole Fury situation is baffling me. Coming off Wilder he had the most momentum in the entire division. Then he signs a great deal with ESPN and gets lined up to fight an utter scrub, now apparently he will fight another next. Its all abit weird. It feels like hes being used as a showcase name to push ESPN+ subscriptions, but they are giving the fans the complete opposite of what they wanna see at this point. The Schwarz fight is an absolute dud.

Some free live boxing on tonight too if anyone fancies it. Theres a NxtGen show on Sky and BT are doing their first Ultimate Boxxer show (terrible name), the one man knockout tournament thing. Its streaming free on youtube too if you aint got BT.

UB3-1920x1080-1.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Harold Lederman has died😔 real sad news, Lederman just has one of those legendary voices that gave you that warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feeling, without doubt the greatest in fight scorer ever. Boxing will be a different place when all these old school characters are gone. Felt the same when Bert Sugar passed.

RIP.

• Paid Members

Ah man that’s a shame. Always used to enjoy his enthusiasm when he’d come on during fights to give his score. Always something like;

Jim Lampley: Harold, how did you have it? 

Harold Lederman: OK Jim, with the knockdown I had it 10-8 to Manny...’Pacman’...Pacquiao. Jim, I gotta tell ya, he’s looking better than ever here. He’s fast, he’s sharp and that knockdown could’ve ended it. Marquez is gonna have to really dig deep now. 10-8 to Pacquiao. OK back to you guys. JIM!!’

The over the top ‘JIM’ at the end always cracked me up. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Really giddy about the Taylor vs Baranchyk fight this weekend. 

I haven't supported a boxer with this much enthusiasm since the Hatton years. Froch and Haye came close (yes, I know, Haye was a pillock), but there were chunks of their careers that I didn't follow religiously. I have followed Taylor throughout most of his rise to the top. I love his fighting style and he comes across as a top bloke in interviews. 

Fingers crossed he prevails on Saturday night. 

• Paid Members

Fuck paying for that. 

While I’m here, Bob Arum contradicting himself on Joshua vs Ruiz...

The second clip there is from an IFL interview with Arum, Fish Eyes and Tyson Fury, which sounds like it’d be worth a listen but is probably just same old;

At this point, all these cunts need to start fighting each other. We’ve got Joshua, Wilder and Fury all claiming to be the man but they’re all fighting uninteresting opposition instead of each other. Then the recent talk of Fury vs Whyte sounded promising until Ben Davison shot it down and said Whyte already declined it and it’s just Hearn playing the media. It’s all just a mess. The hope is that with AJ, Wilder and Fury all fighting within a month, some combination of those 3 gets made for later in the year. If they all win their fights over the next few weeks and all take different fights next then it’s the biggest joke since whoever thought putting Fury vs Schwarz on PPV was funny. If they all take other fights, at that point Dave Allen might as well claim he’s the man as well. They all point the finger at each other but they’re all at it. You can’t have 3 men running around saying they’re the top heavyweight in the world then never fight each other. In fairness I think Joshua and Fury would fight anyone if the deal is good/their teams agree on it. But I really don’t think Wilder wants any of either of them anymore. He seems to define himself by that unbeaten record and after that Fury fight, where deep down he must know he lost, I think how close he came to losing that has spooked him. 

Edited by wandshogun09