Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

well Frankie Gavin looked the business against Denton Vassell tonight, Vassell had no answer to Frankie's southpaw attack and handspeed. Vassell tried to make it a dogfight but Gavin did a great job of tying up on the inside and even roughed up Vassell with some foul shit. Quality performance.

Paul Butler continues to impress as well, little guys rarely catch on with the media over here but i think Butler has that little something about him that may push him into the mainstream eye, only 12 fights and they are already talking of getting him a World Title shot.

shout out to Tony Thompson on the punditry too, i know he's basically being brought over again to lose to David Price but he seems a sound dude, only ever caught glimpses of Thompson's personality from fight hype and stuff but he seems a genuine good guy. He looks in great shape too, this time yesterday i'd have picked Price to win (as i did first time), but Thompson looks like he's coming to win.

• Paid Members

well anyone question Gennady Golovkin's legitimacy can now be quiet, holy fuck. He destroyed Matthew Macklin. That body punches was one of the most brutal in recent memory, goodnight irene. Macklin in all fairness had a go despite it being apparent early that he was in a world of shit.

Rees/Crolla was a decent scrap in Bolton, somewhat spoiled by a pro-Crolla commentary team. I was kinda pissed watching it last night but thought it was closer than the commentary had it, i re-watched this morning and scored it 116-113 to Gavin Rees. McCroy was giving Crolla rounds in which he was doing very little, a good example was round 2, go back and watch it...how the hell do you score that for Crolla?

Good fight but nowhere near a FOTY candidate that the awful MC spouted at the end...speaking of the MC, was he pissed? i find that boxing MC's are trying so hard to get a Buffer-esque schtick that they end up coming off as trying to hard. The guy last night though was just shocking, he doesn't even say people's names right, what the fuck is this...

"in the blue corner, Scott Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh" That was meant to be Scott Quigg. He even started Tony Dodson's introduction and didn't finish it, he didn't even say Dodson's name, the corner looked confused. He's fucking shocking.

Few comments on the undercard, Scott Quigg looked a million bucks against a guy with a decent record, Quigg is ready for world title challenges, let's see it.

Paul Smith/Tony Dodson was a brutal little fight, both guys cut and both giving it their all, the final right hand from Smith was harsh, ref. stepped in at the right time.

GGG is a beast, what a body shot. If you're Martinez I'm sorry but you stay away from that, you don't need that sort of guy in your life. There was talk that HBO offered him to Froch at 168lbs, that would be some fight but I doubt it will happen. He doesn't look like a killer, shows some looks can be conceiving. I hope he one day comes to fight in England, I'd go for sure. Unlucky for Macklin, hopefully he can win a world title one day, he's a good fighter.

Rees/Crolla was a decent scrap in Bolton, somewhat spoiled by a pro-Crolla commentary team. I was kinda pissed watching it last night but thought it was closer than the commentary had it, i re-watched this morning and scored it 116-113 to Gavin Rees. McCroy was giving Crolla rounds in which he was doing very little, a good example was round 2, go back and watch it...how the hell do you score that for Crolla?

I thought it was a difficult fight to score, Rees looked like he was hitting Crolla with lots of shots but Crolla didn't look very marked up at the end, so how many were actually landing is undefinable but he seemed to work the body pretty well. All the mid-round replays had Crolla rocking Rees with big shots, I think some of them were the same shots replayed over and over though. I thought Crolla showed good movement and counter-punching but if he does gets to face Ricky Burns, he's going to be eaten alive because he's a totally different level.

Thomas Oosthuizen got a lucky escape on the undercard of the Golovkin/Macklin card. He was fighting Virgil Hunter prodigy Brandon Gonzales and coming into the fight both were undefeated. Gonzales who had never had a 10 round fight started promisingly and outboxed the gangly Oosthuizen and won the first four rounds. Oosthuizen got back into the fight for sporadic periods as Gonzales was tiring; for such a tall fighter he couldn't push Gonzales back and box from distance with the jab. They traded rounds in the middle before Oosthuizen won the last few because Gonzales was exhausted. I had it 6-4 to Gonzales, possibly 7-3. But the judges had it 8-2 for Gonzales, 5-5 & 6-4 for Oosthuizen so it was a draw. Oosthuizen who was the heavy favourite in the fight was supposed to win easily but he doesn't look like he's got the skills to progress much further. He cuts really easily, he can't KO anyone decent and he's not aggressive enough to take the fight to his opponent.

I almost forgot that we got Price/Thompson II tomorrow night. Price has looked good from the clips I've seen of him training with Lewis and I expect him to get redemption for the lose in the first fight. Thompson looks in good condition at the weigh in and I'm sure he'll be expecting a shot at one of the champs if he picks up the win again. I go with Price to win by stoppage in later rounds.

Is anyone watching the Greek version of Prizefighter boxing on Eurosport HD at the moment?

Its probably the worst boxing I've ever seen but I can't stop watching it. No regard for ring safety, punches to the back of head, stray elbows, it really is low class stuff but I've just watched the equivalent of a pub brawl and I can't wait to see the next contest.

I've got a funny feeling David Price is going to get stopped again. Thompson has only been stopped by Wladimir Klitschko in the past 10 years but his age may play a factor and Thompson hasn't gone 12 rounds in 7 years.

50 Cent is putting on his first boxing show on ESPN's Friday Night Fights tonight. Former world champion, Billy Dib is facing Mike Oliver and Super Six entrant, Allan Green is fighting unbeaten Colombian, Eleider Alvarez.

Golovkin has said he wants to fight Martin Murray next but his criminal past may hamper that as he can't get a visa to enter the US. I think Murray would be a slightly tougher fight than Macklin because of his size but Golovkin shouldn't have any trouble ploughing through him. If he really wants to get the big bucks he needs to face an established name so he can get on PPV. Fighting Martin Murray isn't going to do that with a US audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYt5Rz2XlAg

Hagler Hearns from the yank tv at the time - 40 min prog. Haglers a badass talking about hearns' baby pinkie.....Hagler should have been a wrestler.

Very tricky fight to predict tonight. This fight will tell us the most about David Price so far, if he can do everything right tonight he has a chance, if he doesnt then there may not be much of a future for him. Hope he does well. After a safe start i see him stopping him within 5 or 6.

Don't know where Price goes from here after that. Should not be that exhausted after five rounds of action even if he did throw a lot of punches in the fight, credit to Thompson for surviving the early scare, great body shot in forth round and once he had Price in the fifth he wasn't going to let it go. I'm not sure what he does next, maybe a new choice of trainer and new camp because the preperations didn't seem good enough.

• Paid Members

I think more than anything this shows that the fighters Wlad completely shuts down (and he shut Thomspon down twice) are a lot better than people like Steve Bunce and Frank Maloney give them credit for. Maloney has been telling people for years that Wlad is a hype job who beats up incompetent cans.

All that said, I do feel bad for Price.

Edited by nfc90210