Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Been meaning to post this for a few days, Kelly Pavlik has quietly called it a day on his career.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxin...etires/1849821/

I quite liked The Ghost with two fights coming to mind immediately, those being the Edison Miranda & the first Jermain Taylor fight. Sadly I also think of the Bernard Hopkins fight where he clearly wasn't himself and got absolutely battered!

Edited by rubbafish

• Paid Members

yeh, sad story. The Taylor fight was where i first became aware of Pavlik, when he's had troubles with alcohol in the past you gotta be worried about what kind of direction he'll go in now he isn't actually boxing, hope he keeps it together.

Only just seen last weeks featherweight world title bout between Orlando Salido & Mikey Garcia, I would have Salido ranked as one of the top featherweights in the world, especially after his double TKO on JuanMa Lopez. So it was a surprise to see Garcia knock down Salido twice in the first round of the fight. Salido couldn't really get going as Garcia had easily worked out his gung-ho style and he was down four times by the end of the sixth round. Salido had lost every round and was going for broke, when he flew at Garcia with a punch and then followed through with a massive headbutt which broke Garcia's nose. The fight stopped at the end of the eighth round and went to the judges scorecards and Garcia easily won on a technical decision. This was the first time I had seen Garcia fight and he was very impressive for a young guy. He was patient and calm on defense and then clinical and ruthless when attacking.

Sky Sports had a roundtable discussion show on earlier this week with David Haye, Carl Froch, Amir Khan & Anthony Ogogo with Johnny Nelson chairing it. They mostly discussed the personal effects of boxing, like fame, what they do outside of boxing, people's perception of them and ambitions, etc. Here it is.

Lucas Matthysse is in action tonight against Michael Dallas Jr. He was originally going to face Hank Lundy but he had to pull out. You always get an entertaining fight from Matthysse because of his strong chin and his heavy hands. 30 KO's from 32 wins is a great record.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen Garcia vs Salido yet but I'd already seen a spoiler. My mate was telling me how good Garcia looked as well. I'll have a watch.

Cheers for the roundtable link I forgot about that. Oh and I love watching Matthyse. He was in 2 belters last year and you can always count on him for excitement and usually a KO.

• Paid Members

dunno if anyone's aware, but on the Daniel Geale/Anthony Mundine undercard on Boxnation this weekend is a fella by the name of Kimbo Slice. Dunno if Boxnation will air it but he's fighting a bloke names Shane Tilyard who's 6-5 but every fight but one he's been involved in has ended by KO on one side...could be short and sweet.

The fight is today/early hours tomorrow and i think Boxnation has it on delay, so beware spoilers.

dunno if anyone's aware, but on the Daniel Geale/Anthony Mundine undercard on Boxnation this weekend is a fella by the name of Kimbo Slice. Dunno if Boxnation will air it but he's fighting a bloke names Shane Tilyard who's 6-5 but every fight but one he's been involved in has ended by KO on one side...could be short and sweet.

The fight is today/early hours tomorrow and i think Boxnation has it on delay, so beware spoilers.

Kimbo's still boxing? That'll be worth a watch, even if it is out of curiosity.

• Paid Members

Here it is

I had it spoiled too wand :(

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Nothing for the purists to see here...

But regardless, what a crazy round and half that was. I can imagine Kimbo going on some kind of world tour taking on local tough guys, there's fun to be had. He's lucky he caught that body shot though because i think the fight would have ended with Kimbo on his back, homeboy took some shots!

• Paid Members

Spoilers for Mr Slice's Australian adventure...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It was a really fun fight. It does raise questions about where you go with Kimbo. I mean, he almost got himself KOed by a chap who, let's put it nicely, is not a exactly a world beater. I don't want to be mean about Mr Slice, but there are decent domestic level heavyweights who would beat him easily. For instance, I have no doubt in my mind that John McDermott would fucking kill him. Where you go with a guy who goes tooth and nail with a 6-6 Australian club fighter I have no idea. The moment you step Kimbo up he's done, and you won't even have to step him up that far before he gets his clock cleaned.

If you told me that Kimbo was fighting Paul Butlin then I would bet on Paul Butlin.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by nfc90210