Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Guest split_decision

I got a question, who should Ricky Hatton's next opponent be?Baldomir?Freitas?Gatti?Castillo?Corrales?Witter?Anyone else? :confused: Baldomir fight would make sense and add another recognised scalp on Ricky's hitlist. It would also set up a nice little earner against the winner of Judah/PBF fight somewhere down the line.Also is anyone in the UK showing the Sugar Shane/Vargas or the Glen Johnson/Hall fights next weekend?

Baldomir and Gatti are fighting each other. (Hatton;s promoters reportedly said they couldnt offer Baldomir the money he was asking for, whilst Main Events and Golden Boy have publicly stated they can)Frietas is fighting RaheemCastillo and Corrales are fighting each other. Just leaves Witter..........and he wont fight Witter. Other "possibles"Juan Diaz (WBA Lightweight Champ)Has been mentioned but couldnt be considered a real threat as he isnt a big puncher at lightweight. I see Hatton would like this fight as it is low risk but unlikely to happen as he is a young guy who they wont want to risk in a fight like this. Louis Collazo (WBA Welterweight Champ)Called out all the major players from 140 to 147 last week in a bid to land himself a big fight. possible but unlikely. Hatton camp would argue he isnt a big enough name. Antonio Margerito (WBO Welterweight Champ)Was mentioned once but I dont think the Hatton camp could be serious about this one, the guy is an animal, and an enourmous puncher, at WELTERWEIGHT.

• Paid Members

boxings on its last legs, give MMA 5 years and it will totaly eclipse it

The two sports are not related. A lot of friends of mine would not and will never watch MMA and they are huge boxing fans. Apart from a very small crossover of a few fighters the skills are completely different, and no matter how much MMA fans try and convince boxing fans that MMA is better, boxing fans will always regard MMA as a second class sport. It is what you do if you can't box to a high enough standard in most boxing fans opinion. That is not a view I share but it is the view of most of the boxing fans I know.

Outside of forums like this I've never heard anyone ever mention MMA, let alone profess to like it. I've never seen it covered in a newspaper, or on terrestrial TV. Everybody could name a boxer, past or present, how many people on the street could name one MMA fighter? MMA will never over take boxing as the top combat sport.

boxings on its last legs, give MMA 5 years and it will totaly eclipse it

Unlikely.A lot of the general public confuse MMA with Pro wrestling or illegal fighting as a result are resistant to MMA, until their perception is corrected. Until this happens there is no chance of it surpassing boxing.Personally, over the last two years, a mixture of crap fights on sky and the price of attending a boxing show compared to an MMA show, I have been going to more MMA shows than Boxing

go look at how much the UFC and MMA made last year in america, go see how much Pride and K1 made in Japan, its only the uk thats still behind on the MMA scene, as for the comments about MMA being a route for those not good enough to make boxing, your an idiot, every boxer who tried to enter MMA got destroyed, and im not just talking about on the floor but stand up, also look up antonio nogueria, the bloke is a decent striker in MMA, but won a recent national championship in boxing, once MMA gets main stream global attention boxings funding and suport will be massivly dinted, its happening in america, and has happend in japan allready

Difference is that MMA is growing and growing and boxing is dying. The general public are sick of the Mike Tyson's of the world. They are sick of fixed fights and dodgy decisions. MMA is a whole new world. And on PPV, they aren't a mile apart now when it comes to PPV buys or live gate money.Can't use the star power arguement either. Take away Hatton and you'd struggle people who are casual boxing fans who actually know more than 2 current world champions. Take away Tyson and Amir Khan and you'd struggle to find people who could name 5 current boxers! You can easily find the same comparison in the States. And I'd bet more people know The Rock, Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan than Oscar De La Hoya, Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather in the States and that doesn't make pro wrestling bigger than boxing either.

4th round just finished, this is turning into a cracking heavyweight bout...

You're kidding me?!? If this is the 'best of British', heavyweight boxing as we know it is in a sorry state.Williams will NEVER be World Champ, and Skelton is nothing more than a Pit Fighter. Edited by SpykeDudlei1