Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

so how does everyone see Haye/Bellew going?

The build-up has been nasty, Tony Bellew has always divided opinion but David Haye has done his best to alienate the public for me, he's come off like a bit of a prick and i'd love to see Bellew chin him. I just can't see it happening. There's lots of questions to be asked about Haye and Bellew's right to question his lay off and quality of the opponents since the comeback but Haye's speed and power will surely be too much.

Im actually going to this one and have still managed to avoid most of the build up, although have seen bits of Skys staged potty mouthery. Cant see anything other than Haye, not sure Bellew can carry himself at heavyweight against somebody as quick and powerful as Haye. Its a big step up and I dont think hes got the conditioning to transition as seamlessly as Haye did. The only question mark is about whether Haye has that top level left in him anymore since his injuries and retirement.

• Paid Members

Haye could have worn a Lostprophets shirt and a Justice for the 39 banner and he'd STILL be more likeable than Bellend. I hope Haye fucks him up real quick.

Absolutely this. Never been able to stand Bellew. He's always seemed a right knob to me but then he always makes sure to throw in the "I'm a family man me. I just wanna get home safe to my kiddies" bit to make himself seem like some humble man of the people. Haye can be a cock as well of course but he's the babyface in this one to me regardless of how he's been going on.

As for the fight, I think Bellew's out of his depth this time. He seems to believe he's winning though so hopefully he goes for it. But I can't envision this fight ending any other way than with Bellew horizontal. Within 5.

Edited by wandshogun09

Would happily see Haye get chin'd here, but I can't see it actually happening. Weight differences, Hayes still a very good fighter if not the best in the division still. Skilled and possess power. Only way I see it happening is if Haye hasn't taken this remotely seriously with all his training out on the cruise liner/Bellew has genuinely got under his skin and distracted him. Otherwise should be an easy KO win for David.

I think Haye has come across as a bit of a mug throughout the build up, Bellew has for once actually come across ok. And although is a prick at times, is actually a family man, its not a gimmick. Haye generally is pretty classless, with his gang rape comments pre the Harrison fight and insinuating he wants to permenantly injure Bellew.

As for the fight i see Haye smashing him quite convincingly. Similiar to the Bellew/Stevenson fight, once Bellew feels Hayes power i dont think he will get close to him. Bellew doesnt have great head movement which against Haye = curtains. I can see Bellew getting put down in the first and maybe surviving till the 3rd or 4th.

• Paid Members

I'm not even saying he's not really a family man. But he bangs on about it in every single interview to the point where it IS actually starting to feel like it's his gimmick.

I just can't fully buy into Bellew's talk. He talks a great game but his bark is worse than his bite and his fights don't often live up to the build for me. Main event mouth, midcard talent. He's not a bad fighter by any means and he's had his moments, but I think some people buy into his talk and think he's better than he actually is.

Anyway, fuck Bellew. Shannon Briggs got robbed, he was meant to be next for Haye and Bellend stole his fight with that (admittedly great) post-fight outburst on 'Spongebob' Haye.

Is Briggs in town for this one? Surely he is, right? The Cannon wouldn't miss this. LET'S GO CHAMP.

I've always had a soft spot for Bellew. I can't take his trash talk seriously half the time, even when he's making a prick out of himself. Plus, while he does hammer it home a bit too much, he clearly loves his kids. Even though he isn't the best Crusierweight in the world, he is still world class at that weight (top 5)

That being said, he has little business mixing it up with Haye. Even with all the speculation in the build-up, my prediction has remained the same - Haye inside 4 rounds. 

• Paid Members

I just can't fully buy into Bellew's talk. He talks a great game but his bark is worse than his bite and his fights don't often live up to the build for me. Main event mouth, midcard talent. He's not a bad fighter by any means and he's had his moments, but I think some people buy into his talk and think he's better than he actually is.

I think Bellew is genuinely confident going into this one though. He's on a KO run and has one a couple of fights people expected him to lose. The trash talk/gimmick can rub people up the wrong way but there's no denying Bellew is one of the best in the game at what he does. Great hype man.

As for people thinking Bellew is a bit of a knob, its likely come from following the mainstream hype stuff, if you follow his interviews through IFL you'd probably think differently, ive always thought he's come off great in those. Speaks his mind but comes off as a genuine lad. IFL has changed my opinion on several fighters (and i apologise for continually banging on about it).

• Paid Members

See I love IFL and I've watched a bunch of Bellew's interviews but they haven't made him any more likeable to me at all. Just seems like the type of twat who absolutely loves the sound of his own voice.

Plus, while he does hammer it home a bit too much, he clearly loves his kids.

I've no doubt he loves his kids but you shouldn't get plaudits for that. You're supposed to love your kids. I'm not going to root for him on that basis.

Yeah. Fuck him.

• Paid Members

One thing I have learned in the build up to the Haye/Bellew fight is that Bellew is mixed race. I watched the first episode of behind the ropes where Bellew was with his kids and it registered in my mind that the middle one looked a bit more and I can't think of any other way to put this, cocoa than the other 2. I just assumed he had the bravest milkman this side of the Gaza Strip. Then Haye claimed that the Scouters racially abused him at the presser the other day. On IFL Bellew said, that that was bollocks because they all knew he was mixed race and that his mum was blacker than Haye. It never occurred to me Bellew was mixed race.