Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i was thinking of getting a ticket for the Millenium Stadium show (its only 40mins from my house), but i was thinking ill prob have to dish out good money for a decent seat, but it still aint gonna be as good as sitting in my front room watching it, its gonna be awesome though.im planning on going to Wembley Arena the week before for the Cage Rage show too, so that throws my money into the shits.

I am resurrecting this thread to have a public whinge about Frank Warren failing yet again to find an opponent for Joe Calzaghe. It's bullshit

One of last weekends Sunday papers said that Peter Manfredo was in the frame to be his opponent. The same Peter Manfredo who was in 'The Contender' reality show with Stallone & Sugar Ray Leonard.

I saw an advert on Raw last night for Oscar De La Hoyas comeback fight, it's going to be on Sky Sports one this weekend apparently.Balls, beaten to it.Anyway, I think De La Hoya will take the win, probably on points, unless he's really had enough of fighting at this point. He might've gotten to used to the millionaire lifestyle that he's lost that desire to win fights.

Edited by Larryboy

One of last weekends Sunday papers said that Peter Manfredo was in the frame to be his opponent. The same Peter Manfredo who was in 'The Contender' reality show with Stallone & Sugar Ray Leonard.

Why not? People at least know him here and he beat Scott Pemberton. They were calling Jeff Lacy a mini Tyson after he fought him. Pemberton is a nothing but if it was good enough for Lacy to get a shot...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Calzaghe is out of his fight on July 8th...the show is going ahead though at the Millenium Stadium, i think thats abit odd, alot of people aint gonna wanna go now he's out. Williams/Skelton would have a hard time selling out the CIA let-alone the fucking Millenium Stadium!

Did anyone see that cracking fight yesterday between Kevin Anderson and Young Mutley? They've dubbed it the British version of Corrales vs Castillo! Truly was an excellent fight.Couldn't believe my eyes in that 10th round...what a great comeback!On the subject of Chico, can't wait for the third fight on Saturday night! Smart money is on Castillo but I'll be cheering on Corrales and hope he gets some measure of revenge for the weight-debacle last time out. Plus he's probably more likely to fight Hatton this year if he comes through :)

Calzaghe is out of his fight on July 8th...the show is going ahead though at the Millenium Stadium, i think thats abit odd, alot of people aint gonna wanna go now he's out. Williams/Skelton would have a hard time selling out the CIA let-alone the fucking Millenium Stadium!

13,000 tickets already sold. I think they should get all the big Brit names on such as Kahn, Froch, Woods, and Harrison (if he has managed not to be a drunken cunt by then).

Carl Froch isn't with Frank Warren. And he could draw flies with 2 hand fulls of shit.There is no way this show should still be in Cardiff. They need a genuine world title fight on this show. Maybe rush Alex Arthur into a shot. Can't think of anyone else that deserves one other than David Haye and that's not gonna happen.

• Paid Members

From bbc.co.uk:

Saturday's WBC lightweight title fight in Las Vegas between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo has been called off after Castillo did not make the weight. The fight could have gone ahead for no title but Corrales decided it was too dangerous to fight at a heavier weight. "I have a wife and children and I want to see them grow up," said Corrales, who gave up the $1.3m he would have made by fighting Castillo a third time. "All I can say is I'm sorry," said Castillo, who weighed in four times. "Those are just empty words," said Sacramento-born Corrales, who weighed the 135lb (61kg) limit on his first try. "I wanted to hit him in the mouth." Mexican Castillo, 32, could get no closer to the limit than 139.5lb (62.8kg) during his four attempts in two hours. He also failed to make the weight on the last occasion they met last October, when Corrales, 28, paid the price for going ahead with the fight. He lost on a fourth-round knock-out to a fighter who did not have to make the same sacrifice to make the weight. On Friday his manager, promoter and trainer all told him he shouldn't fight because it was too risky against a fighter who so heavily outweighed him. "If he got hurt I could never live with myself again," said Corrales' promoter Gary Shaw. His trainer Joe Goossen added: "He (Corrales) drained himself to make 135lb (61kg) and the other guy didn't have to do it." Castillo's own promoter Bob Arum, who has promoted fights for 40 years, said he couldn't remember a fight being canceled in similar circumstances. "I'm mortified and embarrassed by what happened here," he said. "It's a disgrace. If I was Corrales I wouldn't fight either." Promoters had sold about 8,000 tickets for the fight, and Arum said he stood to lose $1m from the cancellation. The undercard will go on without the main event, but anyone with a ticket was offered a full refund. The cmain event will now be Armenian-born Australian Vic Darchinyan defending his IBF flyweight title against Mexico's Luis Maldonado.

For it to happen once is bad. Twice? What an utter farce.

From bbc.co.uk:

Saturday's WBC lightweight title fight in Las Vegas between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo has been called off after Castillo did not make the weight. The fight could have gone ahead for no title but Corrales decided it was too dangerous to fight at a heavier weight. "I have a wife and children and I want to see them grow up," said Corrales, who gave up the $1.3m he would have made by fighting Castillo a third time. "All I can say is I'm sorry," said Castillo, who weighed in four times. "Those are just empty words," said Sacramento-born Corrales, who weighed the 135lb (61kg) limit on his first try. "I wanted to hit him in the mouth." Mexican Castillo, 32, could get no closer to the limit than 139.5lb (62.8kg) during his four attempts in two hours. He also failed to make the weight on the last occasion they met last October, when Corrales, 28, paid the price for going ahead with the fight. He lost on a fourth-round knock-out to a fighter who did not have to make the same sacrifice to make the weight. On Friday his manager, promoter and trainer all told him he shouldn't fight because it was too risky against a fighter who so heavily outweighed him. "If he got hurt I could never live with myself again," said Corrales' promoter Gary Shaw. His trainer Joe Goossen added: "He (Corrales) drained himself to make 135lb (61kg) and the other guy didn't have to do it." Castillo's own promoter Bob Arum, who has promoted fights for 40 years, said he couldn't remember a fight being canceled in similar circumstances. "I'm mortified and embarrassed by what happened here," he said. "It's a disgrace. If I was Corrales I wouldn't fight either." Promoters had sold about 8,000 tickets for the fight, and Arum said he stood to lose $1m from the cancellation. The undercard will go on without the main event, but anyone with a ticket was offered a full refund. The cmain event will now be Armenian-born Australian Vic Darchinyan defending his IBF flyweight title against Mexico's Luis Maldonado.

For it to happen once is bad. Twice? What an utter farce.
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: Your joking! This has ruined my weekend. I even watched the first fight on Thursday to get hyped up! Surely they could shove either Castillo or Corrales in with someone else on short notice, it would be one sided but at least it would be a fight. Darchinyan vs Maldonado might be okay but theres nothing under that worht watching is there?