Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

think we can write off any notion of Joyce/Stiverne being competive. Stiverne was highly criticized for the shape he came in to fight Wilder for their rematch. He's 20lb heavier again to fight Joyce, and almost 40lb heavier than he was when he went the distance with Wilder in 2015. Rubbish.

Caught up with a few scraps from last week. The one that piqued my interest was the John Molina Jr. vs. Omar Figueroa Jr fight. Both like to go to war and fight. This turned into a close quarters, slug-fest but didn't really catch fire. Both are in an awkward position, this was their first fights in 18 months. Neither are ranked in the top 15 welterweights. Figueroa who held the lightweight title and is still undefeated came in looking out of shape but his power and chin got him over the line. Molina stuck to single right hands that found a home but was on the receiving end of two more. The position Molina is in, there are not many competitive fights for him at this weight. Figueroa also, the jump from 135lbs to 147lbs seems ill-advised. He's still only 29 and a move down would probably suit his size better.

Down in Mexico tonight, they've got Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto on the DAZN card and also on Sky Sports. It's supposed to be at Super Welterweight (154lbs). Soto came in at 146lbs and Rios at 151lbs. Rios was also limping at the weigh-in. Good odds on Soto also. Whatever happens, it should be a decent tear-up.

I see Billy Joe Saunders is getting a shot at the vacant WBO Super Middleweight title against some unknown bum. I think they're trying to improve his credibility when he beats this fella, then drop the strap and go back down to 160 and fight Andrade. Maybe try and get the fight over here so he doesn't get VADA tested.

Joe Joyce will get found out at a later date. Too robotic and slow to be a contender in the world title picture. Luckily Stiverne is even slower and with the extra bulk will move like he's wearing concrete boots.

Groves made the template on how to beat Eubank Jr. Just box him, he hasn't got a clue on the fundamentals and Chunky does with an impressive amateur pedigree. If they start throwing bombs and getting into an unnecessary war, it may be a different story.

Interested to see how Lee Selby does at lightweight tonight. He looked drained at featherweight and at the weigh-in he didn't look much different for lightweight. He's said in the past, he's known as a puncher in his gym but that never transcended to his fights. Hopefully with some extra bulk, he's more comfortable. His opponent, Omar Douglas hasn't been ko'ed and only lost to a world champion and championship contender. He looked in good shape at the weigh in, so should make for a competitive fight.

• Paid Members

115-110 Eubank for me.

I didn't give DeGale anything after round 5 after he started fairly well (aside from round 2). DeGale just had no answer to Eubank's physicality. It was a mess of a fight but when it broke down into a bit of a fight DeGale was clinging on for dear life or trying to get out of the way. He had some success with his lunging straight left hand, especially in a few early rounds but other than that he was just being bullied around.

Probably the performance of Eubank's career. Pretty much no posturing and he stayed pretty conventional, but when shit breaks down he's still pretty nasty. Love that after everything he has another IBO beltšŸ˜‚

Just dont know what to make of Joe Joyce. Stiverne gave it a go but gassed in 3 minutes, Joyce proceeded to plod along yet still through about 500 punches in 6 rounds. He should have got Stiverne out of there way sooner but his lack of explosive power prevented him from doing so. He just bumbles along throwing constant, thudding shots. Hes gonna be hard to beat for anyone who isnt coming in in shape.

Eubank stole a lot of the mid-late rounds in the last 30 seconds or so. I'd have DeGale slightlyĀ ahead inĀ the round, but then Eubank would land big shots in the dying secondsĀ and sway my judgement.Ā By the end, I had him winning by at least 3Ā points. Probably more.Ā The final 3 rounds were all Eubank (barring the points deduction).Ā 

Oh, and I like how Eubank Snr still somehowĀ managed to hog the camera, despite him being removed from his son's corner.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Not sure if anyone saw it, but just before that 1st knock down there was a nasty clash of heads, with DeGale looking like he got the worst of it. He never seemed to clear his head after that, so maybe he was concussed? Who knows?

Shambles of a fight though. Stop/start constantly, with no real flow. I hate that kind of scrap. Decent slam by Eubank(s) though.

• Paid Members

The fight was fucking crap and I donā€™t even care. Iā€™m just glad that DeGale lost and that I didnā€™t pay for it. ThisĀ should never have been a PPV in the first place. DeGale hasnā€™t looked good in a while and Eubank is a big game choke artist. I thought it was a bit much when Warrington vs Frampton and Whyte vs Chisora 2 were put on PPV last year but this was really taking liberties from the second it was announced. And itā€™s not even like they had a stacked undercard to try to give more bang for your buck either. At least when Sky did Whyte vs Parker on PPV last summer they loaded it up.Ā I quite like Lee Selby and Joe Joyce but it just wasnā€™t cutting it when they were charging the same price as Joshuaā€™s fights, Fury vs Wilder, Mayweather vs McGregor etc. ITVā€™s PPVs so far have all been pretty shit havenā€™t they?Ā 

I think the thing I enjoyed most about this whole thing was George Groves putting the boot in to DeGale post-fight;Ā 

Yeah, itā€™s not very sporting but fuck it. Theyā€™ve always legitimately disliked each other, why be fake humble now? And if it was theĀ other way around youĀ know DeGale wouldā€™ve been 10 times worse than this to Groves.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeh, the PPV thing is always disappointing. Going off what Sr. was saying last night though Jr. will be staying on PPV with ITV for the considerable future.Ā There's obviously a bit more to it than it being about trying to fleece fans, Eddie Hearn does a pretty good of explaining why certain fights have to on PPV with his IFL interviews. With Eubank though id imagine its more of a Ortiz/Liddell thing where they take a lower base rate and depend on the success of PPV sales?

Always had to know Groves would have the last laugh though, he beat both of them and left as the fan favorite of the piece. Someone tried to have him banned from the broadcast last night, they worked it out though.

• Paid Members

I like him but I donā€™t think he goes to the top. Heā€™s just in an era where there are too many better fighters about. He seems a likeable enough guy andĀ I actually think some of the criticism he gets is a bit harsh. But I canā€™t see him doing too well as he steps up againstĀ the tougher tests waiting for him. His style isnā€™t pretty but heā€™s made it work up to now. I just think the top operators in the division are going to find his lumbering style makes it easierĀ to beat himĀ to the punch. In another era maybe heā€™d goĀ further but thereā€™s too many guys I see beating him in the current landscape.Ā