Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

did anyone catch Teofimo Lopez again Saturday night before Kovalev? fuck me, there's the future right there. Great punch selection, nasty as hell and carrying serious powe. Just 21 as well.

Kovalev cruised it. I had a feeling people were writing him off to much after the last defeat. Alvarez being desperately poor didnt help proceedings.

as for Ted Cheeseman, well the step up was too early. I think everyone was shocked by how good Garcia was. General feeling was that he was a bit of a soft touch after only having fought in Spain. First Ritson, now Cheddar. Hearn aint having much luck.

Other that Buatsi, Hearn has a paper thin undercard. Okolie isnt headline material and i find terrible to watch,  Cheeseman i cannot see progressing passed European level, The jury is still out on Ritson. Who else is there as far as ticket sellers go? Is Josh Kelly under Matchroom? 

Sam Eggengton has reached his peak as has Dave Allen. I mean who on the horizon has the potential to be a big ticket seller or proper ppv star under Matchroom? 

Adam Smith rightly so was not happy with Skys card last Saturday. 

I did not see the Lopez fight. Is he the fighter who done the fortnight dance after smashing someone?

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

yeh, the feeling is that Hearn is spreading himself too thin. There was a video on IFL where Smith came in and you could tell was upset with what Hearn produced last Saturday.

But, yeah. Josh Kelly is with Matchroom and is a nailed on future headliner. They are just going through a bit of a transitional stage, the few times recently though hes tried to step guys up its failed.

I like this show put together for March 23rd though:

Fight-Poster.jpg

oh and off the point, but Teddy Atlas has only gone and created a podcast of his own...

Teofimo Lopez has some serious skills. Him vs.Lomachenko at lightweight would go off but I don't think Loma would take it because it's too high risk, losing to a prospect. In the fight, Magdaleno fell into Lopez's trap everytime, constantly leaning forward to punch and getting hit with the uppercut. He possesses slick movement, impressive reflexes. He's got a cocky streak as well with his post fight dancing when he's just sparked his opponent out.

Next he will need a stronger task against someone like Yvan Mendy or Anthony Crolla.

• Paid Members
On 2/10/2019 at 1:55 PM, Porkchopcash said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jVBxJTqdtf8

The American broadcast of Lewis v Ruddock. I always prefere the American take on fights from years gone by.

Sure this was on the same night as Ghostwatch. What a great nights tv.

Also this. Nice intro music.

It was Halloween night, 1992, and yeah it was the same night as Ghostwatch. However, the fight was on extremely late at 2 or 3am because despite being in England, they still held the fight at the later time to accommodate the HBO audience. 

This fight was the first part of an unofficial agreement between the management of Lewis, Ruddock, Bowe and Holyfield, brokered and partially financed by HBO, where the winners of each fight would face off in an attempt to crown one champion. The second fight in the agreement was of course the Bowe/Holyfield classic a few weeks later. Unfortunately, Bowe and his manager Rock “Don’t call me White” Newman would go back on their agreement and refused to fight Lewis, who had to raise the WBC belt after Bowe tossed it into a bin. And thus began Lewis’ reign of being the most avoided Heavyweight of the 90’s. As surprising as that might be to hear, it’s undeniable, as no fighter in history at any weight received as much “step aside” money as Lennox Lewis.

The HBO broadcast contains one of my favourite Larry Merchant flip flop moments; just after Lewis destroyed Ruddock “We have a GREAT new Heavyweight on the boxing scene” 

30 seconds later; “errr I don’t trust a guy whose best accomplishment was losing two tough fights” (referencing the two Tyson fights). 

I’m sorry, but none of the US announcers could carry Reg Gutteridge’s microphone, nowhere near in his class in terms of both announcing and knowledge.  

On 2/11/2019 at 9:38 PM, Taylorslade said:

It was Halloween night, 1992, and yeah it was the same night as Ghostwatch. However, the fight was on extremely late at 2 or 3am because despite being in England, they still held the fight at the later time to accommodate the HBO audience. 

This fight was the first part of an unofficial agreement between the management of Lewis, Ruddock, Bowe and Holyfield, brokered and partially financed by HBO, where the winners of each fight would face off in an attempt to crown one champion. The second fight in the agreement was of course the Bowe/Holyfield classic a few weeks later. Unfortunately, Bowe and his manager Rock “Don’t call me White” Newman would go back on their agreement and refused to fight Lewis, who had to raise the WBC belt after Bowe tossed it into a bin. And thus began Lewis’ reign of being the most avoided Heavyweight of the 90’s. As surprising as that might be to hear, it’s undeniable, as no fighter in history at any weight received as much “step aside” money as Lennox Lewis.

The HBO broadcast contains one of my favourite Larry Merchant flip flop moments; just after Lewis destroyed Ruddock “We have a GREAT new Heavyweight on the boxing scene” 

30 seconds later; “errr I don’t trust a guy whose best accomplishment was losing two tough fights” (referencing the two Tyson fights). 

I’m sorry, but none of the US announcers could carry Reg Gutteridge’s microphone, nowhere near in his class in terms of both announcing and knowledge.  

Tbf to Larry, he said he didnt trust a fighter whose accomplishments were based on losing two tough fights as Ruddock entered the ring.

After Lewis beat him he said we could have a great new heavyweight in the world.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Dave Allen’s transformation into Stone Cold Steve Austin continues. He’s buzzed his hair off and has a shit goatee.

uOqauA.jpg

So next it’s the Million $ belt, breaks his neck, returns and gives Eddie Hearn the stunner, then beats Anthony Joshua for the big one and takes boxing to new heights. 

Hopefully he leaves out the wifebeating bit.