Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Pretty cool we're getting some free fights on TV again.

Uzcategui / Plant should be a good scrap. Plant looked ripped at the weigh-in. If he wins he will be the first white American to win a world title since Chris Algieri beat Ruslan Provodnikov 3 and a half years ago.

Guillermo Rigondeaux is fighting on the undercard tonight without much fanfare. He's fighting a Mexican journeyman so should be a routine win.

• Paid Members
On 1/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, Rossman said:

Uzcategui / Plant should be a good scrap. 

It was decent. Plant won the belt as a bit of an underdog, great to see after watching his back story going in. Not sure how far he can go, he looked great for 6 rounds but faded in the second half of the fight, he's got something about him though, he's got a certain type of charsima that could see him be a bit of a breakout star. He'll do well to hold onto the belt considering he may fight David Benavidez next though.

Few announcements this week too...

Joe Joyce vs. Bermaine Stiverne is on the DeGale/Eubank undercard.

plus two domestic shows:

• Paid Members

i thought Jacobs was already with DAZN because of the Matchroom ties? or is it just a new deal?

Regardless, great fight. Outside of a 3rd GGG fight, that's the best fight that can be made at middleweight.

• Paid Members

Don’t know how the Matchroom ties work in regards to DAZN. Obviously there are links but are Matchroom fighters automatically DAZN fighters as well or is it a separate deal? 

Could be wrong but I don’t think Jacobs was with DAZN previously. Doesn’t sound like it from the way the tweet was worded anyway. Here it is, complete with a pretty shit poster;

B21AB84B-0C1D-471A-8144-5AADFF671697.jpeg

Jacobs was with HBO but with them being done with boxing now, he has signed with DAZN.

No surprise Canelo has dropped back down to 160lbs after the farce against Fielding, in winning what is a made up belt and becoming champion at a third different weight class. Jacobs is a good fighter and will pose problems, but cant see pass Canelo winning on points.

Yes sir.

Weird country. Everythings similar enough to lull you into a false sense of security, but then the little differences blow your mind. Fucking expensive, too.

Yesterday was a crazy day, but my first real project is around the MVP fight in a month or so... Will be fun to be there live, though!

• Paid Members

It feels like something has changed with Joshua vs Fury. Hearn has been speaking about that fight in much more positive terms the last week or two. It’s been reported that offers have been made and in this interview below Hearn says Fury recently called him about making the Joshua fight and specifically asked for a straight financial offer rather than a percentage. Warren was saying the offer was “derisory” but Hearn’s saying if it’s a percentage they want he’ll do 60/40. Fuck knows. All I know is Hearn went from never really mentioning Fury and banging on about Wilder, Whyte and Miller to now where he’s talking about doing the Fury fight much more. 

It could well all be a game and a load of bollocks but his tone has definitely switched to sounding more positive on the likelihood of AJ vs Tyson. 

”I think right now, the chances of Wilder fighting Joshua in April are about 5%. The chances of Fury fighting AJ next are about 40%. I actually think there is...Tyson’s capable of doing anything. He’s capable of phoning me up this afternoon and going ‘let’s go.’” 

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it actually happens but at least it sounds like there’s a discussion being had there. Which it doesn’t sound like there’s much of at this point in the case of Joshua vs Wilder.