Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah he talked about it to IFL this week. Petty shite. Obviously he’s retaliating to Hearn putting Whyte-Chisora 2 on head-to-head against Warrington-Frampton on the 22nd. But, for the same reasons Frank complained about that, putting Wilder-Fury 2 against Joshua’s next Wembley fight isn’t good business. Just splits the audience and forces people to choose. Regardless of which fight people choose, both sides lose out to some degree and get less buys and the fans are fucked over because they have to choose one or the other. Of course, if AJ ends up fighting someone like Jarrell Miller in April then undoubtedly the Wilder vs Fury rematch is the one to choose. But there’ll always be a big chunk of the audience who will buy the AJ/Sky fight over the competition. 

In a way I actually like the Monday Night Wars aspect of this whole thing. It’s entertaining in a weird way and competition is good in the grand scheme. But these head-to-head same night battles are silly. With Whyte vs Chisora and Warrington vs Frampton, whatever. But with Joshua, Fury and Wilder you’re talking THE fights everyone’s talking about. People want to see all three of these guys fight each other, they don’t want to be forced to choose or fork out for 2 big fights on the same night, especially when it basically boils down to Promoter A not liking Promoter B or his old man. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

they wouldnt clash outside of making people pay for 2 shows though would they? Fury/Wilder will more than likely be in the States. I dont think Warren's dumb enough to go down that route, the AJ/Whyte fight still probably outsells it because its on at primetime, hes probably just blowing smoke.

Warren:

It's stupid. No one wins, it's impossible for anyone to be a winner out of this. I'm using hypothetical numbers; if there are half-a-million fans who want to watch it, 250,000 watch one, 250,000 watch the other, they're not going to be able to afford both. Then we've both lost 250,000 punters. It's stupid, senseless, if they were running on that date, I'd have never run on that date. We are not the cause of this.

Nice to see Frank taking his own advice. 

It would be a mental night if it happened. I presume Joshua's card would start at 7pm and go off air at 11pm. Then the Wilder and Fury card would start up around midnight and end around 6am if it's held in America. I would probably try and split the bill with my Brother. 

If the Wilder vs Fury fight happened in say Manchester (which it probably won't), then the cards would clash. That would piss me off. 

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s more the expecting people to pay for two fights on the same night I’m getting at. I expect if Wilder-Fury 2 is next then it’ll happen in the States. Having them on the same night is a terrible decision if Frank goes that route. Because what would most likely end up happening is a lot of people would pay for the Joshua fight and find ‘other means’ to watch Wilder vs Fury. If you’re going to pay for one or the other, you’re more likely to pay for the one that’s on at a decent hour and either stream the one that starts at fucking 5am or torrent it the next day. If Wilder vs Fury somehow ends up happening in the UK then it gets more interesting but again, worse from a fan POV because then they would actually clash. 

I’m sure Frank’s just posturing by talking about going head-to-head. He’s obviously been around long enough to know the problems that come with doing that.

I'm not so sure that Warren will have final say on the date anyway, as it'll also come down to the venue that they want to book being available, and obviously what the Wilder side of negotiations want as well.

I see Dubois is out of his fight with the flu.

• Paid Members

Yeah Dubois is out with flu. They've moved his opponent to the 22nd to face Nathan Gorman.

The opponent Razjan Cojanu went 12 with Joseph Parker not long back so he seems a decent step up for either. Speaking of which Joseph Parker returns today as well in New Zealand.

Might be harsh but i don't think you could justify a PPV even with Chisora/Whyte and Warrnington/Frampton doubled up on the same card. It's getting ridiculous and far too over saturated these days.

In regards to Canelo fight i just saw the staredown on Sky Sports News five minutes ago, couldn't get over the difference in height! Mind you it gives Canelo plenty of target to aim for in terms of body shots 🥊

Got offered 3/1 on a request a bet for Canelo stoppage in 4th, 5th or 6th round which thought was good value so got a score on that.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin
typo

59 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Anyone expecting anything else was being a bit of a rube. Fielding was trying, I guess, but Canelo was just walking through everything he'd throw to land some monster body shots. Canelo, rightly, showed no respect.

It's a bit of a shambles that such a fight was even created. The fact it was for a World title is hilarious.

• Paid Members

It's what boxing does, sadly. Fielding even pointed out the other day that Canelo's face is still all scratched up from the GGG fight; Canelo is still on the mend. This was essentially a nice, no risk payday for all involved, while Canelo gets some light work in before the 3rd GGG/Canelo fight, next year.

Edited by ColinBollocks