Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Loved the four rounder! Best little ruck ive saw in ages. Electric atmosphere. 

Ritson looked great for the first four rounds. A great straight left jab seemed to be busting Patera up but then it all went a bit pear shaped. I still think Ritson has potential and can come again. Would be interesting to see a rematch. 

Bustsi looks the real deal. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think Ritson can still make some noise. It wasn't like he got outclassed, Patera just outworked him just enough at crucial points to nick a decision. It was the type of loss that doesn't damage him too much and that he can learn and improve from. As long as he's mentally up for it.

The Crawford vs Benavidez show was good. 

Crawford remains unbeaten. He looked really good throughout, didn't think Benavidez got much done. I had Crawford well up on points but that became redundant as he stopped Benavidez in the 12th with seconds to go. Quality performance again from Crawford. Easily one of the best in the game right now. We need to see him vs Spence or Thurman or Porter or one of those guys. It's getting to where those guys are all going to have to fight each other soon. Welterweight is such a good division at the moment. 

The undercard was full of highlight reel stuff and excitement. Shakur Stevenson is someone everyone needs to keep an eye on IMO. He's a 2016 Olympic silver medalist. He's far from the finished article but this was my first time seeing him and I thought he looked ace. He took apart the more experienced Viorel Simion in a round here. Moving to 9-0 with 5 knockouts. Simion had never been stopped before and his only losses were to Scott Quigg and Lee Selby, he took both the distance. So Stevenson, at just 21 years old and with less than 10 pro fights, blowing him out in a round is pretty impressive.  

Mike Alvarado, best known for his couple of wars against Brandon Rios years ago, scored a crushing second round knockout over a guy called Pea Shooter Cannon or something. Knocked him down once then he got up and Alvarado just nailed him and he was out, head bounced off the mat and everything. 

Oh and there was a guy on the undercard who Bunce highlighted. They didn't show his whole fight but they aired a few clips of it plus some of his other fights and, more importantly, his ring walks. Steve Nelson is his name. He's an army vet apparently. 12-0 with 12 knockouts so far. He looks a bit unpolished and raw at the moment from the snippets they showed but, fuck, he's entertaining. Just look at these from some of his entrances. 

Here he is being wheeled out as Hannibal Lecter;

FU38Y3.jpg

As Rick James;

ov3HLL.jpg

And Michael Myers;

kNAFfE.jpg

One of his cornerman had a Chucky mask on for that one as well. 

The 'Filthy' Tom Lawlor of Boxing! I'm already a fan of this guy and I haven't even seen him fight yet. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

What the fuck? 

Anyway, here's Brook talking about the Khan thing again.

"I will tie one 'and behind me back, I will, and I'll still pop 'im. One o'them brownies. Over. Look at 'im in his last fight. I feel sorry for the kid, I'mer 'urt 'im bad. I'mer 'urt 'im bad." 

:laugh: 

I really like Brook as a fighter but I can't take his trash talk seriously at all with that Keith Lemon accent. 

At this point I've given up on Brook vs Khan ever happening. And it's clear as day what the holdup is. These roadblocks Khan's putting in the way are really silly now. You'd think them both being signed to Matchroom would make it so much easier to get the fight on but it's never happening, is it? First it was 'Brook will have to come down to 147', Brook agreed. Then it was 'I want to fight Manny Pacquiao instead', then the Floyd vs Manny 2 rumours started up. Now it's this cobblers about rehydration. What the utter bollocks is that? So it's not enough that he wants Brook to boil himself down to 147, now he's expecting him to weigh in again and he can't fully rehydrate after the weigh in. Have I got that right? Madness. It's at the point now where I actually think Khan would lose less face by just saying 'I'm never fighting Brook. Don't ask me again', than these constant excuses. Either way everyone knows he's ducking the fight but at least then he doesn't have to pretend he's up for it or be asked about it again. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Watched some of last weekends fights but read up on the rest, i fell too far behind.

Matchroom's US card debut was a success. Some real fun fights on that one. Callum Johnson gave it one hell of a go against Beterbiev, fair play to him.

With regards to last weekend. Cant help but feel the Ritson fight came at the wrong time. The Geordie Golovkin stuff didnt help him much and having him thrown in at a higher level when hes been KOing everyone early was probably his undoing. You have to roll the dice though.

Canelo has signed with DAZN, 11 fight deal for £280 million, guess he receive more than that depending on subscriptions and the like. At least he will be on Sky Sports now. 

It would be funny if he did a Eubank after he signed with Barry Hearn and just fought a load of bums before getting Hearn kicked of Sky.

And Haye is now managing Chisora!

Edited by Porkchopcash

4 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Canelo has signed with DAZN, 11 fight deal for £280 million, guess he receive more than that depending on subscriptions and the like. At least he will be on Sky Sports now. 

It would be funny if he did a Eubank after he signed with Barry Hearn and just fought a load of bums before getting Hearn kicked of Sky.

And Haye is now managing Chisora!

Canelo has signed with DAZN, not Matchroom. He’s still with Golden Boy, and so his shows won’t be on Sky (unless they buy the rights separately).

Sky has the 16 Matchroom USA shows.

14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

With regards to last weekend. Cant help but feel the Ritson fight came at the wrong time. The Geordie Golovkin stuff didnt help him much and having him thrown in at a higher level when hes been KOing everyone early was probably his undoing. You have to roll the dice though.

Ritson reminds me of Lucas Matthysse. Good power, good chin but put them in with a boxer and they are lost. Ritson's defence is too leaky. He showed that against Scott Cardle but walked straight through him. But you move up to the next level and they're going to take your punches and dish some back too.

• Paid Members

The dog ate the contract. Or his pen ran out. Or his garden shed needs tidying up. Or he's having a sex change like Frank Maloney. No excuse would shock me at this point - Ok that last one would - I think the thing that would surprise me most now would be if the fight actually gets made. 

Seriously, it'll probably be an absolutely mental purse split he wants next. Like 90/10 or something mad. So that when Brook rightly tells him to shit off he can say 'look, we tried to make the fight and Brook didn't want it'. 

49 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Seriously, it'll probably be an absolutely mental purse split he wants next. Like 90/10

"Kell, you won't be getting any actual fee but you'll be getting massive exposure.  That's how the modern world works"