Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Martin Murray interview with IFL talking about his fight this Saturday and the Billy Joe Saunders situation; 

"I'd rather be myself without a world title than be someone like him and have a world title."

Spot on. Night and day between Murray and Saunders. Murray's always seemed like a genuine down to earth bloke. Whereas Saunders seems to be made up purely of bollock sweat and bravado.

I'd still like to see Murray vs Saunders happen one day. Maybe if Saunders finally gets that crack at being Golovkin's punchbag he's been clamouring for, that fight can happen after GGG batters him. 

• Paid Members

When they first announced Murray/Saunders it felt like a bit of a waste of time. Saunders coming in off the form of his career and Murray past his best, but it was nice to see Murray get one last spotlight fight. The fallout since the second pullout from BJS has boosted Murray's profile for me though, it feels like everyones siding with him and people wanna see him succeed more than usual Saturday.

I dont think he had much of a shot at beating Saunders though. From the whole mess i genuinely hope Saunders did fake injury to get the GGG fight only to have it backfire on him when Canelo got back on the scene.

Looking forward to Dubois/Little on the Warren show too. Tom Little talking some mad shit.

there's Ritson/Hyland for those that missed it.

Edited by Egg Shen

I look forward to the September clash of Degale v Saunders, two of the most hated British champions of all time. Nothing signed yet but i think it will be. Saunders cant make middleweight no more i dont think. Just from snippets ive read on websites here and there, nothing concrete. An easy fight to make and the 02 is already booked by Warren.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, Saunders vs DeGale? Who the fuck do you pull for in that one? It's like asking someone if they want either a diarreah or vomit smoothie. I'll be praying for a double KO if that fight actually happens. 

I think DeGale is done. He's looked awful in his last two outings. 

If he is looking for one last payday, then surely he would be better off waiting to see if Groves wins the Super Series. If he does, then a Groves vs DeGale unification bout makes a lot of sense for all involved. It would be a bigger fight than DeGale vs BJS.

• Paid Members

That hasnt been confirmed yet. By all accounts GGG plans on fighting again in December is succesful against Canelo so id imagine Saunders isnt signing anything until that fight is done.

• Paid Members

The Murray fight wasn't much good. Seemed like it was part down to the late switch in opponent for Murray and also that Garcia was just an awkward but durable fighter who made it an ugly, messy fight. 

Dubois and Yarde looked good again. The Ohara Davies KO was ridiculous. 

I watched the Murray fight, as much as i like him, he’s not much kop.

Was thinking i would love Degale to fight Saunders and Saunders win then to go onto fight Groves, just so Groves could tie him in knots at the pressers and Saunders resort to calling him Ginger and Grives just generally making him come across as the idiot he is....

• Paid Members

I think that's a bit harsh on Murray. He's a good fighter who fought like a lion despite being outmatched against Golovkin and was unlucky to not get decisions against the likes of Sergio Martinez and Felix Sturm in past world title shots. However you had those decisions, he was competitive and they were close fights. He might've lost a step now but 'not much kop' is a tad unfair based on a fight against a tough, awkward and scrappy Mexican late replacement after being fucked around by Saunders in the lead up to the fight. 

• Paid Members

The WBA are demanding Joshua make a fight with Povetkin. Can’t blame a governing body for wanting their title defended this side of 2019 while Joshua and Eddie Hearn wait for Wilder to find a pen.

Edited by Your Fight Site
Hearn, not Heard. Bloody autocorrect.

• Paid Members

yeh, always looked like it would go that way. Hearn has said its looking like Povetkin in September then Wilder in the Spring if he signs. Thats a tough fight before Wilder, AJ/Hearn could really do with an easier mandatory challenger going into Wilder, huuuuge banana peel situation.

I dont really see Povetkin as a tough fight for Joshua, i see it as a convincing knockout. Now if Wilder fights Breazele, thats an easy win. It’s absoloutly ridicolous if Wilder fights Breazele. This is why boxing sometimes is shite. Wilder allowed to fight Breazele and not someone like Whyte.   

• Paid Members

caught a spoiler for Taylor/Postol which is pretty annoying, sounded a good scrap too. 

Dubois looked decent, started slow but he settled in and took Little out. Showed patience too against a guy clearly trying to mess with his head.

I know Warrens taking the slow road with Anthony Yarde but the guy needs a step up badly. Im all for guy learning but hes not even breaking a sweat in these fights.