Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fuck. I can't say I've heard of him but that's really tragic news. It's always horrible to hear of anyone dying after a fight. Only 31 years old as well. I can only imagine the emotional rollercoaster his family must've been on the last few days. From being happy he won his fight to grieving his loss. 

• Paid Members

only just caught up on the WBSS but Nieky Holsken did himself no harm there did he? the difference in the fight was Callum's jab but it really felt like a case of Smith won the fight but Holsken won the war. All the highlights between rounds were Holskens and he definitely landed the more damaging, eye catching shots but the jab was the difference on the scorecards. Really surprised by the performance Holsken put in. The hype on Callum Smith has definitely cooled, since he's stepped up to world level he hasn't been near as impressive as he was earlier in his career, if he was 2-3 inches shorter im not even sure if he'd be in the mix at the top level.

Tell you what though, i would love to see a Holsken/Eubank Jr. fight, that would be a war.

Aye, perceptions have changed.

Before the tournament I had Smith as the favourite to win it with Eubank a close second. I really thought that Groves was going to be caught out before the final. Thankfully, I could end up being very wrong. If anything, Groves is now the favourite to win the whole thing. He has opened as a slight favourite with the bookies to beat Smith. I was also lurking on a few boxing forums the other night, and the general consensus was in Groves's favour. 

There's a bumper weekend of boxing coming up. On Saturday evening, Kell Brook's return on Sky Sports clashes with Josh Taylor's next fight on Channel 5. Then it's Wilder vs Ortiz in the wee hours of Sunday morning - also on Sky Sports. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

There's a bumper weekend of boxing coming up. On Saturday evening, Kell Brook's return on Sky Sports clashes with Josh Taylor's next fight on Channel 5. Then it's Wilder vs Ortiz in the wee hours of Sunday morning - also on Sky Sports. 

You can add the Kovalev fight to that as well. Think it's on Box Nation. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I was also lurking on a few boxing forums the other night, and the general consensus was in Groves's favour. 

im definitely favouring Groves going off Smith's last couple of performances.

On 25/02/2018 at 8:43 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Anyone catch the BT show? The Zelfa Barrett vs Ronnie Clarke fight is well worth going out of your way to see. Really enjoyed that. 

Thrilled to see Ronnie Clarke win the big one, so to speak. He's been through a lot in his life and it's nice to see him achieve what he did in the manner he did.

The commentators were talking as if it was a close fight, which it clearly wasn't in my opinion.

• Paid Members

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/jailed-dundee-boxer-ronnie-shark-clark-suspended-sport-officials/

You are right David. Good old Ronnie. It's nice to see good things happen to good people. It was a cracking fight, the knockdown would have been the end of a lot of fights, but let's not pretend this is some heartwarming tale. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, David said:

The commentators were talking as if it was a close fight, which it clearly wasn't in my opinion.

Probably because Zelfa Barrett is one of Warren's prospects. It was a showcase type show and that was a fight very much a fight set up for Barrett to win. I missed the show but ive read that Daniel Dubois didn't look great either.

• Paid Members

I thought it was Dubois' least impressive performance so far. Didn't think he looked bad but when you're knocking people dead the way he's been I suppose anything less than that is going to seem unimpressive. There were a few times in the fight though where I remember thinking he looked slow and lumbering. He's got all the time in the world though. He's one of those guys, like Joshua, who people are going to be waiting to rip into the second he looks human because he's being hyped and promoted. But at 20 or whatever he is, he's still a baby in his career. I hope he goes from strength to strength. 

• Paid Members

I don't think strength will be a problem for Dubois Wand, it will be speed. Handspeed and footwork looked very cumbersome. I know he is only young but those are 2 things that really need sorting out if he is going to be challenging for any titles. 

• Paid Members

tidy news...

Ringside is re-launching Friday, kind of. Sky has a new weekly show called JD Ringside starting, the format looks to be a little different but its the same kind of thing. Best of all it'll be free on Sky Sports Facebook/Youtube channels. About time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I don't think strength will be a problem for Dubois Wand, it will be speed. Handspeed and footwork looked very cumbersome. I know he is only young but those are 2 things that really need sorting out if he is going to be challenging for any titles. 

Of course, I didn't mean strength in the literal sense! You're right though, that's the feeling I got watching him. At times it almost looked like he was finding his arms too big to manoeuvre. Like he was getting in his own way if that makes sense. 

And that's good news Egg. I've missed Ringside. Be good to have something like that back again.

Edited by wandshogun09