Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Cleverly looked terrible. A good decision to hang them up. When the commentaters say Badou Jacks name it has to be followed with "he does the basics right."

Gervonta Davis looked the worst i have ever seen him, petulant. Almost Broner esque with missing weight and acting a knob. Although normally he looks impressive at 130lbs, i think at 135 he is to small. Imagine the size difference between him and say Ricky Burns?

Roll on the 16th Sep.....,

16 hours ago, FailedPromoter said:

2017_08_27_1.png

304 hits to the head in that fight, utterly insane from Kamegai to take all that. 

That right there is a visual indication of someone who'll have problems later in life. Possibly the dumbest boxer I've seen in years.

• Paid Members

It's not going to end well for him, is it? I kept hearing Bunce and Lillis and that lot going 'Kamegai blocks punches with his face' like it's a good thing. His toughness is admirable but it shouldn't be his main thing. If you look at smart defensive fighters like Mayweather, prime James Toney, Pernell Whittaker, Bernard Hopkins etc, the chin was always their last line of defence. They'd only rely on their punch resistance when they had to. The aim was to not be hit at all. 

Don't get me wrong, guys like Kamegai are exciting to watch. I can't take the moral high ground when maybe my favourite boxer ever is Arturo Gatti who was known for getting into wars and his ability to ship damage. But at the same time it's brutal to think the state Kamegai is going to end up in long term. It's probably going to shave a few years off his life, and definitely off his career the way he fights. 

All that aside, I fucking love Cotto. One of my favourite boxers ever. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Yeah, we should be talking more about Golovkin vs Canelo. For boxing, Mayweather vs McGregor was the 'event of the year' but this is the fight for me. I can't wait. I keep going back and forth on who I think will win. Fuck, I can't even decide who I want to win. I love watching both, I like both and I just want to see them fight. Two of the absolute best in the world, squaring off at or as close to their primes as can be. This is a proper dream match for me. 

After initially thinking GGG, I'm actually swaying towards a Canelo victory now. I think. But I don't know if that's because I'm putting too much stock in Golovkin looking more human against Daniel Jacobs. I don't necessarily think that was Golovkin slipping, I think it was a case of Jacobs just being so good and stepping up. Golovkin will know this is a big challenge, he'll be coming in firing on all cylinders. But I think Canelo has the game to put Golovkin in some bother. 

Ahh fuck it. Who knows? I just want to see it. 

Alot of Boxers are picking Canelo. 

If Golovkin fights as reckless as he can at times Canelo definately has the power to trouble him. Golovkin though is quite clearly the bigger man. Canelo i would say is the smarter boxer....just rambling really, theres loads of positives for both of them really.

BJS fights earlier in the night doesnt he. Would like to see him lose tbh, and unless he has got himself into shape i think theres a chance he could. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Saunders is fighting Willie Monroe. I'd love to see BJS lose as well. Can't stand him and Monroe seems a pretty good guy from the few interviews I've seen. He's been in with Golovkin as well, losing end obviously but still. Saunders does look like he's putting the work in though from bits and pieces I've been watching. He's moved his camp to Sheffield under Dominic Ingle and he looks like he's dropped some weight. He's got to start taking it more seriously or he's going to hit his ceiling sooner than later. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 27/08/2017 at 5:44 PM, FailedPromoter said:

2017_08_27_1.png

304 hits to the head in that fight, utterly insane from Kamegai to take all that. 

Never seen anything like that i don't think. Just an incredible ability to absorb punishment, the guy has some suds on him but fuck me he took a beating. Dunno if they mentioned in Boxnation, but HBO made reference to him having his head turned from a punch and it just sticking turned, ive never seen that happen before, what an absolute maniac.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Cleverly looked terrible. A good decision to hang them up. When the commentaters say Badou Jacks name it has to be followed with "he does the basics right."

Gervonta Davis looked the worst i have ever seen him, petulant. Almost Broner esque with missing weight and acting a knob. Although normally he looks impressive at 130lbs, i think at 135 he is to small. Imagine the size difference between him and say Ricky Burns?

it was a shame to see Cleverly go out like that. I've questioned Cleverly's desire for a while, not so much in ring (only two fights removed from a classic with Fonfara) but the lack of activity and the quietness surrounding his activities always made me feel he'd had enough. I imagine he went to Vegas for one last pay cheque, not a bad place to go out.

All i could think of when watching Davis was 'we've got another Adrien Broner here'. He looked great in the last two fights i've seen him, but here he looked far too comfortable and fucked about way too much, hopefully Floyd gets him straight because he's a hell of a prospect.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they compared Gervonta Davis to Broner on the Sky commentary. I thought the same thing but we'll see. Hopefully this'll be an isolated thing. 

Oh and as a pointless aside, I just have to say, I've thought it for years that Miguel Cotto's wife is pure vintage bintage. 

image.jpg

Edited by wandshogun09

The thing that worries me if this idea that Cotto wants the winner of GGG/Canelo. He doesn't need to be fighting guys like that at this stage of his career.

Pick a decent opponent and give the fans a good dust up on your way out, but don't be fucking silly. He'll get crushed by either of them nowadays.

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

After initially thinking GGG, I'm actually swaying towards a Canelo victory now. I think. But I don't know if that's because I'm putting too much stock in Golovkin looking more human against Daniel Jacobs. I don't necessarily think that was Golovkin slipping, I think it was a case of Jacobs just being so good and stepping up. Golovkin will know this is a big challenge, he'll be coming in firing on all cylinders. But I think Canelo has the game to put Golovkin in some bother. 

The wind is also in Canelo's sails. Canelo is coming off a dominant win over Chavez Jr. Now, Canelo was perfect that evening, but it's possible that Chavez made him look a bit better than what he is. The Khan win also says very little, as GGG is a completely different kettle of fish. 

Still, I'm leaning towards Canelo, based on gut feeling. But as said, who the fuck really knows?

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

hard to tell, its basically a situation where he had a fight where he didnt look super human (arguably two if you count the Brook fight, i dont) so everyone's questioning if he's past it how. The under-par performance in the Jacobs fight is probably what helped secure this fight so it was a bit of a blessing in disguise.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, they compared Gervonta Davis to Broner on the Sky commentary. I thought the same thing but we'll see. Hopefully this'll be an isolated thing. 

Oh and as a pointless aside, I just have to say, I've thought it for years that Miguel Cotto's wife is pure vintage bintage. 

image.jpg

what do you class as vintage these days wand. she's like 36.