Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

23 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Berto v Porto is a US domestic fight really, you would have to fancy Porter really but both are just below Thurman, Brook, Pacman....

some Tyson fanboy commentating as well.... horrible commentator.

Speaking of which, did anyone else find the commentary on SKY for Berto vs Porter to be horrendous. It was getting on a bit, but I swear the ref ruled that Porter's cut was caused by an accidental headbutt, yet the commentator claimed that no such signal was given. Also, when Porter was teeing off on Berto in the exchanges leading up to the stoppage, the commentator barely acknowledged that Berto was in trouble. 

Elsewhere, BJS made a spectacle out of himself again. 

Fancied a bit of a flutter on the Joshua/Klitchko fight this weekend and saw that on the undercard, Luke Campbell is 11/10on (at Paddypower) to win his fight by KO/TKO, which he has managed in his last two fights. While it's not quite Evens, it could be a decent thing to add to any multiples you've got going at the weekend

• Paid Members

That Georgian bloke Khurtsidize or however its spelt may genuinely be my new favorite fighter, what a maniac. At a high level he shouldn't really be effective but fuck me he can crack. Langford did alright until he got clipped but it always felt like a matter of time. Can't believe he actually got up. I dont dislike BJ Saunders as much as some here but i'll be cheering Khurtsidize if they fight.

Murray/Rosado was a disappointment, decent scrap but far from what was advertised. The biggest talking point was the scoring. 11 rounds to 1 for Murray? That's one of the worst cards in recent years.

Roll on the weekend!

Struggling to look forward to the Joshua/Klitchko fight. It's intruiging i guess, but the fact Wlad has looked awful in his last 2 fights, hasnt fought in 16 months and is coming off one of the worst performances ever from a Heavyweight champion takes the shine off it for me.

I read an interview with Bryant Jennings on sky sports app today who said Wlad was slow and his punches didnt hurt him really as he saw them all coming. I can only hope that the loss to Fury has somehow made him up his game. I doubt it though.  I just cannot see what Klitchko can do to stop Joshua. 

If Sam Peter was able to put him down years ago when Klitchko was in his prime, i see Joshua having no trouble with him.

Vitali in his prime would be a different story.

looking forward to seeing if Quigg has improved under Roach, as he was becoming stale under  Gallacher, (gaurd up for first few rounds, then come on strong late), i hope he fights with more urgency.

Campbell should be the fight of the night for me. Sometimes he looks a world beater but he does have his flaws. 

• Paid Members

The build-up is a weird one because both men are incredibly respectable to each other, it sells on magnitude and Joshua's populatity though. The buzz is building nicely for me.

Press conference on Sky Sports News at 1.30.

The press conference was in my office, which has made for a strange afternoon. Though I've got to meet Paulie Malinaggi and Buffer. Just missed out on meeting Vitali, apparently he wandered around whilst I was having a shit.

Wlad was not impressed with the crowd when he walked past us at the start of the press conference, he just kept saying 'It's so silent'.

The USB stick thing is weird..

• Paid Members

It was a strange atmosphere at the press conference, even on TV. The crowd didn't seem to know what to do as there isn't a heel in this match. They didn't seem to really cheer AJ either. They have been so polite to each other that the crowd just didn't want to get involved. 

It was strictly employees mate. Only a small fraction were really boxing fans, who happened to also work at Sky. Everyone just wanted to be a part of it. No actual fans were admitted.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I'm not sure about that either, Egg. I'm expecting a bit of flexing followed by a nice polite face off and nothing more. Klitschko just doesn't do drama. If he had his way the fight wouldn't even heat up, it'd be a nice slow jabfest. 

I've got a feeling Joshua is going to clobber him within 6 rounds. I know it's Klitschko but he hasn't looked good in a while and I just can't see him not getting overwhelmed if he comes in with that slow robotic start like he's been known to do. 

On 26/04/2017 at 10:34 PM, Porkchopcash said:

Struggling to look forward to the Joshua/Klitchko fight. It's intruiging i guess, but the fact Wlad has looked awful in his last 2 fights, hasnt fought in 16 months and is coming off one of the worst performances ever from a Heavyweight champion takes the shine off it for me.

I read an interview with Bryant Jennings on sky sports app today who said Wlad was slow and his punches didnt hurt him really as he saw them all coming. I can only hope that the loss to Fury has somehow made him up his game. I doubt it though.  I just cannot see what Klitchko can do to stop Joshua. 

If Sam Peter was able to put him down years ago when Klitchko was in his prime, i see Joshua having no trouble with him

The last time Wlad looked good was against Pulev, some 2 and a half years ago. The Leapai fight was not much to go on. If you look at Wlad's resume, you could make the argument that Fury is the best Heavyweight he's faced. I think Wlad looked poor against Fury partially due to it being an "off-night", but mostly due to the merits of Fury.

The mid-00's were a dire time for Heavyweight boxing. There were no prime versions of Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, or Golota around like there were in the 90's. Haye and Mormeck were great Crusierweights, but nowhere near as effective at Heavyweight. Mercer was shot when Wlad fought him. Povetkin always had his doubters as well, and was lucky to scrape a result against Marco Huck. 

On paper, Wlad is there for the taking. I am even picking Joshua to win in 6 rounds. That being said, I am still quite nervous. It's a huge step up for A.J. It's also Heavyweight boxing, where the next Lewis or Holyfield, can be reduced to the next Sam Peter in a matter of a few fights. People forget how hyped Peter was until Wlad pipped him in their first encounter. Wlad is also saying all the right things in the build-up. Unlike what he has been accused of in the past, he looks quite comfortable fighting outside of Germany. It's a real litmus test for A.J. I'm really excited. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I'm not sure about that either, Egg. I'm expecting a bit of flexing followed by a nice polite face off and nothing more. Klitschko just doesn't do drama. If he had his way the fight wouldn't even heat up, it'd be a nice slow jabfest. 

Crowd wise i meant 😁 i don't expect any drama from the fighters.

If you aint seen it, i highly recommend the AJ doc that was shown on BBC. It's on iplayer. Not so much a build up show, more a behind the scenes look at his last 4 fights leading to this one. It's very good and confirms Joshua to be a really nice guy, its hard to route against him when you see things like this. Doc was directed by Noel Clarke, well worth an hour.