Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I cannot believe 1 judge had such a different result to the others. They'll have a rematch, Rahman will likely win on a split decision. But so far Rahman has haeld the WBC title twice, defended the title twice and has not won a defence. To light the division again they should do Brewster or Byrd Vs Rahman so they can get some unification. Valuev will unlikely take a difficult opponent til he has to face his mandatory challenger.

Just downloaded the fight and I'd agree with the judge who had Rahman the winner by six more than I'd say Toney got a draw. Rahman won it easy by at least 3 or 4.

American welterweight boxer Kevin Payne has died after winning a non-title bout in Indiana on Saturday.The 34-year-old suffered brain injuries following his points victory over Ryan Maraldo in an eight-round contest.After the fight, Payne had to be helped out of the ring and was immediately taken to hospital where he had brain surgery, but died later on Sunday.Payne had a record of 14 wins, five defeats and one draw, and was due to fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr next month.The fight was the main event on a card and was set in Payne's home town of Evansville.An inquiry will now be made into the circumstances of Payne's death.www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Never heard of him, but always sad when a boxer dies in the ring.

Super middleweight king Joe Calzaghe wants to fight former three-weight world champion James Toney at Cardiff's Millenium Stadium on 8 July.Calzaghe dismantled Jeff Lacy to add the IBF belt to his WBO title, a fight Toney said Calzaghe was sure to lose."Toney fancied Lacy's chances so I would love to see how he would get on with me," said Calzaghe, 33."He should lose the flab and fight me. But I don't think anyone can drag him out of his training camp at McDonalds."Calzaghe is bristling after Toney told BBC Sport that Lacy would "destroy" Calzaghe at the MEN Arena. Toney also said: "Calzaghe never did anything. He beat Chris Eubank nine years ago, but what has he done since then? He's a joke."Toney, 37, failed to win the WBC heavyweight crown on Saturday after a disappointing draw with Hasim Rahman.He held the IBF middleweight and super middleweight title in the 1990s before moving up to win the cruiserweight crown.However, a fight with Calzaghe is unlikely to happen as Toney scaled 236lb against Rahman and would have to lose almost 70lb to make the super middleweight limit."I would love to kick his behind now because I just missed out on doing it in the '90s when I was coming through," added Calzaghe.Former four-weight world champion Roy Jones Jr, who beat Toney in 1994, has already said he would like to fight Calzaghe.

He is right, Toney is just turning into Butterbean. The fight won't happen, but funny all the same. He should just face Jones, who is still one of boxings biggest draws and a probable win.

Danny Williams and Matt Skelton have agreed to a rematch at Manchester's MEN Arena on 15 July.Commonwealth heavyweight champion Williams took a split decision against British champion Skelton last month.The winner could go on to fight for a world title later this year, according to promoter Frank Warren.Russia's WBA champion Nikolay Valuev, who will defend his title on 3 June, has been touted as the most likely world-title opponent in the past.Williams and Skelton will return to action in separate non-title bouts at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, on 1 April.

May go to this, last fight was good fun, scrappy and dirty but fun.

Do i go to that fight or not?Do i think it will sell out? No... not unless a shit load of cockneys travel up

An odd venue of choice, I feel they will have to have a WBU title match with a mancunian in it and Amir Khan. If Calzaghe cannot sell out MEN then I doubt Skelton/ Williams would.

Colombia's Edison Miranda became the first man to stop London's Howard Eastman in their IBF middleweight eliminator in Hollywood, Florida. Both fighters landed big shots in round three before Miranda rocked Eastman in the fifth with a big right hand. Eastman staggered Miranda in round six, but the fight was stopped after a barrage of unanswered punches from Miranda in the seventh. The loss could spell the end of the road for the 35-year-old Eastman. Miranda will now fight IBF champion Arthur Abraham, who beat Eastman last July.

That's a shame :/ always liked Eastman... Edited by LOPUK

Eastman was vastly overrated. He wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes with Benn, Eubank, Watson or Collins back in their day.

And yet he managed to go twleve rounds with Hopkins? Even the sleepwalking version of Hopkins that fought Eastman would have taken all of the above apart piece by piece - Eubank would have gone the distance because of his immense chin but th other two would have come off a hell of a lot worse than Eastman did.

Eastman was vastly overrated. He wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes with Benn, Eubank, Watson or Collins back in their day.

And yet he managed to go twleve rounds with Hopkins? Even the sleepwalking version of Hopkins that fought Eastman would have taken all of the above apart piece by piece - Eubank would have gone the distance because of his immense chin but th other two would have come off a hell of a lot worse than Eastman did.
Leave me out. Benn would have absolutely torn Hopkins apart. Bernard Hopkins, in my opinion, is arguably the most overrated figther I've ever seen. And I've seen plays more exciting than his fights. Honest to God - PLAYS!

Leave me out. Benn would have absolutely torn Hopkins apart. Bernard Hopkins, in my opinion, is arguably the most overrated figther I've ever seen. And I've seen plays more exciting than his fights. Honest to God - PLAYS!
Hopkins fights werent exciting because he was so good that he could - with the exception of the Jones fight - choose how he wanted a fight to go. You are aware that hopkins fought in a deliberately boring manner if he felt he was being underpaid? - just look at his madatory defences if you dont believe meAs for Benn tearing him apart - that really is comical. Please provide us with a least of the amazing fighters Benn has torn apart during his career - you'll find its short list and full of fighters who for one reason or another were shot to pieces (or in the case of McClennan weight drained beyond belief)