Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Difference is that MMA is growing and growing and boxing is dying. The general public are sick of the Mike Tyson's of the world. They are sick of fixed fights and dodgy decisions. MMA is a whole new world. And on PPV, they aren't a mile apart now when it comes to PPV buys or live gate money.Can't use the star power arguement either. Take away Hatton and you'd struggle people who are casual boxing fans who actually know more than 2 current world champions. Take away Tyson and Amir Khan and you'd struggle to find people who could name 5 current boxers! You can easily find the same comparison in the States. And I'd bet more people know The Rock, Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan than Oscar De La Hoya, Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather in the States and that doesn't make pro wrestling bigger than boxing either.

Excellent point. I was gonna post that until I read your post. I completely agree that in 5 years MMA will be MUCH bigger than boxing, It's just growing so rapidly and is much more exciting than boxing. I'm a fairly big boxing fan too. It'll never be the same as it was 20 years ago.What was the result last night? Did Williams win?

Difference is that MMA is growing and growing and boxing is dying.  The general public are sick of the Mike Tyson's of the world.  They are sick of fixed fights and dodgy decisions.  MMA is a whole new world.  And on PPV, they aren't a mile apart now when it comes to PPV buys or live gate money.Can't use the star power arguement either.  Take away Hatton and you'd struggle people who are casual boxing fans who actually know more than 2 current world champions.  Take away Tyson and Amir Khan and you'd struggle to find people who could name 5 current boxers!  You can easily find the same comparison in the States.  And I'd bet more people know The Rock, Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan than Oscar De La Hoya, Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather in the States and that doesn't make pro wrestling bigger than boxing either.

Excellent point. I was gonna post that until I read your post. I completely agree that in 5 years MMA will be MUCH bigger than boxing, It's just growing so rapidly and is much more exciting than boxing. I'm a fairly big boxing fan too. It'll never be the same as it was 20 years ago.What was the result last night? Did Williams win?
yea williams won a slit decision. boxing is going through a bad time at present but it will come through and sorry mma will never repace it.imo.

Not saying they will overtake boxing. MMA will definately compete with it though. You are always going to find the boxing purists who will just bury MMA for being "human cockfighting" even though the injury rate in comparison to boxing is on another level. No deaths as a direct result of a legal MMA match. This weight cutting thing needs to stop though.

Does anyone know where Hattons next fight will be screened?I was having a talk with a mate last night and he thinks Sky will keep hold of him but i have a feeling it might go on terrestrial...Also lets look forward to Calazaghe vs Lacy as im going and i just want to build it up some more. Im thinking Lacy will win in round four or eight but im wondering what everyone else thinks...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Mike Tyson Vs Peter McNeeley - browsing my Mike Tyson career dvd's...holy shit, this was crazy! McNeeley comes storming out swinging bombs, gets caught and goes down in the opening ten seconds, he gets up goes crazy and gets in Tyson's face...the fights restarted and it's a fucking war! headbutts flying in..crazy! McNeeley then gets dropped again 90 seconds in and the fight is stopped. Gutted McNeeley looked like he was ok, a little shaken but ok. Quite gutted i think the ref. or the corner (wasnt clear who stopped it) robbed us of a classic brawl, i dont think it would have gone past the 2nd or 3rd round but it woulda been awesome.

hang on... i just read the fight was ruled a DQ, anyone know why??? weird.

Sorry Ebb :( Doesn't look its gonna be shown anytime soon. It might on Friday Fight Night in a couple of weeks though. I heard Sky showed the Vargas/Sugar Shane fight the other week so we'll probably get it on a delay.Really wanted to see this fight live though! "Has-been" Rahman has been talking a good fight up to this point. Lights Out has been pretty funny too. Smart money's on Toney I guess...