Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i know there's a good few boxing fans on here and threads randomly pop up i thought id start one to chuck in some random thoughts on shit ive recently watched or whatever...

anyway's, some fights:

Riddick Bowe Vs Andrew Golota I - one of the most infamous heavyweight fights in boxing history, no one really gave the un-tested Golota a chance againt Bowe, but damn was they wrong...Golota beat the fucking shit out of Bowe, but with Bowe being one of the toughest mu'fuckers in boxing this made for one of the greatest wars ever (definatly one of my favourite fights), Bowe refused to drop and kept coming at Golota hurting him several times. Then Golota goes and gets himself disqualified for throwing repeated low blows, there's no real reason why Golota did it, he was winning the fight maybe it was through frustration of not being able to finish Bowe, or the fact that he felt he was getting tired. Anyway's the low blows set off a fucking riot, one of Bowe's men attack Golota with a phone and chaos kicks off, the best thing about it is the camera's film the whole thing, one of the craziest scenes in boxing history...a must-see, for the right and wrong reasons.

Larry Holmes Vs Marvis Frazier - as one-sided a heavyweight title fight that there's ever been, Frazier basically got this fight 'cause he was the son of Joe Frazier, anyway's Holmes beat the holy hell out of him, a knockdown early doesn't finish the corageous Frazier who refuses to quit, in the end Holmes traps Frazier in the corner and lays down one of the great heavyweight beat down's, Holmes actually stops punching to ask the ref to stop it, the ref doesn't and Holmes lays on some more jack-hammers, brutal!

Vitali Klitschko Vs Corrie Sanders - another great heavyweight battle, Vitali not only fighting for the heavweight title but to avenge the defeat of his brother to Sanders. Basically Klitschko is leagues above of Sanders in terms of ability but Sanders has the punchers chance cause he hits like a truck plus the guy has an iron jaw, this again is a brutal and exciting fight, Klitschko finally gets a stoppage victory but Sanders refused to drop...one of the best heavyweight fights in recent memory.

Edited by Ebb

Riddick Bowe Vs Andrew Golota I - one of the most infamous heavyweight fights in boxing history, no one really gave the un-tested Golota a chance againt Bowe, but damn was they wrong...Golota beat the fucking shit out of Bowe, but with Bowe being one of the toughest mu'fuckers in boxing this made for one of the greatest wars ever (definatly one of my favourite fights), Bowe refused to drop and kept coming at Golota hurting him several times. Then Golota goes and gets himself disqualified for throwing repeated low blows, there's no real reason why Golota did it, he was winning the fight maybe it was through frustration of not being able to finish Bowe, or the fact that he felt he was getting tired. Anyway's the low blows set off a fucking riot, one of Bowe's men attack Golota with a phone and chaos kicks off, the best thing about it is the camera's film the whole thing, one of the craziest scenes in boxing history...a must-see, for the right and wrong reasons.

Spooky stuff Ebb i was watching that fight just a couple of nights ago. Golota really went to school on him and then threw it all away with those low blows.Then he looked even more convincing in the return fight and did the exact same again. Those fights finished Bowe off although he won by DQ, shame there was never any clear cut winner. Danny Williams v Mark Potter A bit of a nothing fight you may think, it was from 2000 and for the British heayweight title - nothing too eye catching about that at the first glance. I'd actually not really heard much about it untill i read up on it a few weeks ago. Williams dislocates his shoulder a few seconds into the 6th round - you can hear it pop out :crazy: - and keeps fighting on with his right arm completely limp by his side with the commentators aghast at his corner for not ending the fight and fearing for his safety he comes back and knocks Potter out with one hand. Unreal, you have to see this to believe it. Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

Anyone here seen the first Meldrick Taylor vs Julio Cesar Chavez fight? I watched it the other day, They go at it toe to toe for 12 rounds, with both the Philedelpia fighter and the Mexian fighter being to proud to guard or clinch. It looked like Taylor had the match won, then in the last round Chavez hit the exhausted Taylor and sent him to the floor. Taylors up at 8 but doesn't answer the ref and so the fight gets stopped, with 2 seconds to go until the end. It really was a damn shame for Taylor as he went into a rapid decline from this point, it looked like hewas on his way to being a true great, I've seen him speak recently and he's got brain damage or something because his words all mix into one. An all time great match though, it was voted fight of the decade by one of the top boxing mags.I also watched Nigel Benn vs Gerald Mclellan from 95. I remember watching this match as a kid and being really into it because it was Our Nigel Benn vs one of those dastardly yanks, and everyone seemed to have written off Benn. It doesn't look good to start as Nigel gets knocked out the ring in the first round, but he comes back with a good counter to Mclellans style. I think it was in the tenth round when Mclellan bizzarely kneels down and lets himself get counted down. He passed out after and went into a coma. Marvin Hagler vs Thomas Hearns. This was for the middleweight title in the middle of the 80's. This was a huge fight at the time. The first round is one of the most action packed inboxing history. Hagler had found Hearns bragging before the fight most annoying and went in to prove a point. Hearns returned fire and both spent 3 minutes swinging for the hills on each other. Hearns broke his right hand off Haglers head and Hagler was bleeding badly by the end of the first. Hagler shocked the world by ending this match quickly with a knockout in the third.

• Paid Members

Spooky stuff Ebb i was watching that fight just a couple of nights ago. Golota really went to school on him and then threw it all away with those low blows.Then he looked even more convincing in the return fight and did the exact same again. Those fights finished Bowe off although he won by DQ, shame there was never any clear cut winner.

yeh Golota seriously meant business back then, shame the guy didnt have the mental attributes to go with his physical ones.

[ Danny Williams v Mark Potter A bit of a nothing fight you may think, it was from 2000 and for the British heayweight title - nothing too eye catching about that at the first glance. I'd actually not really heard much about it untill i read up on it a few weeks ago. Williams dislocates his shoulder a few seconds into the 6th round - you can hear it pop out :crazy: - and keeps fighting on with his right arm completely limp by his side with the commentators aghast at his corner for not ending the fight and fearing for his safety he comes back and knocks Potter out with one hand. Unreal, you have to see this to believe it.

Yes I remember this one. (Well it's pretty hard to forget!!) His shoulder came out in the third, then had popped itself back into place by the end of the round. It came out again in the 6th and Williams used the jab, with his other arm hanging limply by his side and collarbone protruding. He then caught Potter with an uppercut with his good arm and Potter couldn't recover. Thing is Williams was getting his arse booted with two arms, and looked a lot better fighting with one arm!!!

• Paid Members

Skelton as Williams tends to blow hot and cold and it is about time for the moody can't be arsed Danny Williams to show up. Add to that that Williams's last fight was against someone who didn't want to fight and this time Skelton will be all over him because of his style, Williams won't be able to handle it.

I got a question, who should Ricky Hatton's next opponent be?Baldomir?Freitas?Gatti?Castillo?Corrales?Witter?Anyone else? :confused: Baldomir fight would make sense and add another recognised scalp on Ricky's hitlist. It would also set up a nice little earner against the winner of Judah/PBF fight somewhere down the line.Also is anyone in the UK showing the Sugar Shane/Vargas or the Glen Johnson/Hall fights next weekend?

• Paid Members

Frank Bruno Vs Carl Williams - im a big Bruno fan, so i went back to some of the the old dvd's...this was a huge fight for Bruno, a win would set up a world title fight with Lennox Lewis a loss would have probably spelled the end for him. Bruno just bullied his way through this fight, very aggressive early on and doing alot of holding and hitting (Bruno was a pretty dirty fighter, he even threw the most blatant elbow ive ever seen later in the fight). Williams' insistence to shake his head after every attack just made me wanna see him get KO'd even more so when Bruno clubbed him down in the 10th it was pretty fucking awesome. Good fight.