Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Sounds unfortunately like the his on deaths door but some places seem keen to publish his death already.

The lad who came out as gay Cruz won his fight so should be in line for a title shot. Will be interesting.

• Paid Members

Emmanuel-Steward-and-Thomas-Hearns.jpg

Some tributes;

Wladimir Klitschko

Boxing has suffered a tremendous loss with the passing of Emanuel Steward.

Vitali and I, along with the entire Team Klitschko, send our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to Emanuel's family and friends.

It is not often that a person in any line of work gets a chance to work with a legend, well I was privileged enough to work with one for almost a decade.

I will miss our time together. The long talks about boxing, the world, and life itself. Most of all I will miss our friendship.

My team and I will carry on with the goals we had set while Emanuel was with us because that is exactly what Emanuel would have wanted. I know he will be with us in spirit along the way and we will accomplish these goals in his honor.

Rest in peace Emanuel. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again my friend.

Wladimir Klitschko

Lennox Lewis

I'm completely devastated by the passing of my long time friend, mentor and trainer Emanuel "Manny" Steward. Manny has helped me get through some of the biggest fights in my career and I only regret that I couldn't return the favour and see him through his biggest fight.

We've maintained a close relationship and the last time we spoke he seemed his usual upbeat self so it was very disturbing to hear about his illness and rapid decline. It is with a heavy heart that realization of what I hoped were just rumors are now in fact true. Manny always told me I was the best, but the truth is, HE was the best and I'm grateful, privileged and honoured to be counted among his many historic successes.

This has been a very tragic year for the boxing world, but today we've truly lost one of its crown jewels. Manny was giving, selfless, compassionate and stern. He always gave back to the community and never forgot where he came from. He was an institution unto himself and I'm proud to have had him in my corner for so many years.

I'm extremely grateful for the time that I was given with him and he will be severely missed by all who knew and loved him. I'll miss his smile, his frank no holds barred truthfulness and our discussions on boxing and life. My prayers and condolences go out to his family at this very difficult time.

-Lennox Lewis

Jim Lampley

"He's going to be most known as one of the greatest trainers in the history of the sport. That's the central element of his identity. He's my best friend and it's on a personal level I have the most appreciation for him. But he is the man who groomed Thomas Hearns and who built an iconic inner city gym in the working class capital of America.

"What tells you a lot about the man he was is that he made a tremendous mark in his early days training what one would think was his natural constituency, black American fighters in the middle weight classes. But then he moved on and trained an English heavyweight champion, a Ukrainian heavyweight champion and an Irish middleweight. He was just spectacular."

Oscar De La Hoya

"It brings me great grief and sadness to hear of the passing of one of the best and most respected trainers of this era, Emanuel Steward.

"I learned a lot from him during our professional relationship and I will be forever grateful for his help during that time.

"We were also friends and I know I am going to miss him as so many others will too. He was an important part of our boxing community."

Freddie Roach

"Emanuel Steward passing today is biggest loss to boxing in long time. He'll be greatly missed. My thoughts prayers are with his family."

Miguel Cotto

"Emanuel thank you for giving it all for our sport and for giving me your great advice. We enjoyed those days! You will always be in my mind"

'Sugar' Ray Leonard

"(His death) is devastating. Thank God I had the chance to see him in Las Vegas at the WBC boxing convention. We got a chance to talk a little bit. I had heard that he was sick, but Manny is such a fighter himself that he can put on this front. Besides looking a little smaller and a little thinner, he looked pretty good. But I don't think about those times when I saw him like that. I think about the good times that we had together."

Al Bernstein

"Today is a very sad day for all of us in boxing, because this is the day which Emanuel Steward passed away. He had been ill, and we feared this day was coming very soon. But nonetheless, it didn't change the reality of it.

"I've known Emanuel Steward for about 30 years. Over that time, he's a man I called a friend, and he's somebody who has been as big an influence on me as anybody could be in the world of boxing, with the exception of the great Gil Clancy, who I think is just like Emanuel in terms of what he's accomplished in boxing, and Don Dunphy. Emanuel taught me more boxing and was as good a friend as you could possibly be. My condolences to his family and to all those close to him.

"It's almost impossible to think of the fact that I'm not going to see Emanuel at the next fight when HBO is in town to do it, or he's there training one of his fighters. He's one of those people, it's impossible to think of the boxing landscape without him.

"Today, I've been answering a lot of questions both on radio shows and to newspapermen about him, and it's driven home, I think, the reality of him not being here. And I said to several of the folks that maybe his greatest achievement, despite all the fighters he trained and all the other things he's done in the world of boxing, is at the end of the day, he's the greatest ambassador the sport's ever had.

"If people saw only one person from the sport of boxing, and it happened to be Emanuel Steward, they would all think very highly of the sport. My condolences to Emanuel's family and his friends. He'll be missed."

Really sad news. RIP.

BadLeftHook put up these videos of some of his best calls on commentary;

Gatti-Ward 1, Round 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=P_GctYbPByI

Toney-Jirov, Round 12 (skip to 5:40)

!

Berto-Ortiz, Round 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYRSiVYIEEw...player_embedded

Worth a watch.

Edited by wandshogun09

Theres a point in the Calzaghe Kessler fight in round 12 where lampley or kellerma says "Kessler is fighting like an animal" and Steward casually says " yeh but i like that" always loved that piece of commentary from him.

As theres no boxing on tonight, have a butchers at the ultimate 12 round war below, the best ever rounds 1-12 of individual fights. Watching Morales in rnd 5 with the speed and accuracy he has, its a shame seeing him plodding and slow last week, from what i have seen of him, what a fighter. Round one obviousley needa a mention, as does 9 - my personal favourite round ever. Great viewing.

great trailer, if this doesnt get the blood rushing through the veins i do not know what will. I assume its from hbo as they are showing the hatton comeback - hatton comeback trailer.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members
Theres a point in the Calzaghe Kessler fight in round 12 where lampley or kellerma says "Kessler is fighting like an animal" and Steward casually says " yeh but i like that" always loved that piece of commentary from him.

I remember that Manny Steward quote but couldn't remember which fight it was from.

As theres no boxing on tonight, have a butchers at the ultimate 12 round war below, the best ever rounds 1-12 of individual fights. Watching Morales in rnd 5 with the speed and accuracy he has, its a shame seeing him plodding and slow last week, from what i have seen of him, what a fighter. Round one obviousley needa a mention, as does 9 - my personal favourite round ever. Great viewing.

Great stuff, cheers for that. Just watched it. As far as I can tell it was..

Rd 1 - Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns

Rd 2 - Terry Norris vs Troy Waters

Rd 3 - Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vazquez 2

Rd 4 - Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vazquez 3

Rd 5 - Erik Morales vs Marco Antonio Barrera 1

Rd 6 - Oscar De La Hoya vs Ike Quartey

Rd 7 - ???

Rd 8 - Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Yaqui Lopez 2

Rd 9 - Arturo Gatti vs Mickey Ward 1

Rd 10 - Jose Luis Castillo vs Diego Corrales 1

Rd 11 - Erik Morales vs Marco Antonio Barrera 3

Rd 12 - Carl Froch vs Jermain Taylor

Anyone know what fight Round 7 is from? Looks like a belter.

I've seen all but 2 of them fights. Never saw the fight in Round 7 or Norris vs Waters (which I now have to see). Gatti/Ward and Castillo/Corrales were the obvious picks. And no surprise to see Morales/Barrera and Marquez/Vazquez in there.

As great as Froch vs Taylor was though, I'd have gone with Chavez vs Taylor 1 personally for round 12. Or now maybe even Martinez vs Chavez Jr.

I'm saddened by the lack of Chacon vs Limon 4 in there. One of the best fights I've ever seen hands down. Easily. If they'd done 'Best 15 Rounds' then they'd surely have to include a round from this beast of a fight.

If you consider yourself a Boxing fan and you've never seen Chacon vs Limon 4 then do yourself a favour and watch it. Full thing's on Youtube so no excuse...

Chacon vs Limon IV

Really is fantastic. Has to be a top 3 favourite fight of all time for me.

great trailer, if this doesnt get the blood rushing through the veins i do not know what will. I assume its from hbo as they are showing the hatton comeback - hatton comeback trailer.

Man that's a great video. Rooting hard for Ricky. I don't know what to expect but I'm hoping he does well. As unlikely as it is I'd love to see him turn back the clock like 2002 Shawn Michaels.

ricky-hatton280x390.jpg

"Let's fuckin' 'ave 'im"

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double but...

Orlando Salido vs Mikey Garcia

Juan Manuel Lopez vs Wilfredo Vazquez Jr

..both rumoured for Feb 2nd. Two potentially terrific fights there.

Also, Donaire vs Arce is being talked about (again) for Dec 15th. Mismatch but I still want to see it. Arce will get battered but at least he'll come to fight which is more than can be said for Nishioka.

Rafael Marquez looks to be done as well. He got TKO'd in the 9th last night by Mijares. At 37 it's hard to see him bouncing back again.

I remember that Manny Steward quote but couldn't remember which fight it was from.

Great stuff, cheers for that. Just watched it. As far as I can tell it was..

Rd 1 - Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns

Rd 2 - Terry Norris vs Troy Waters

Rd 3 - Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vazquez 2

Rd 4 - Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vazquez 3

Rd 5 - Erik Morales vs Marco Antonio Barrera 1

Rd 6 - Oscar De La Hoya vs Ike Quartey

Rd 7 - ???

Rd 8 - Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Yaqui Lopez 2

Rd 9 - Arturo Gatti vs Mickey Ward 1

Rd 10 - Jose Luis Castillo vs Diego Corrales 1

Rd 11 - Erik Morales vs Marco Antonio Barrera 3

Rd 12 - Carl Froch vs Jermain Taylor

Anyone know what fight Round 7 is from? Looks like a belter.

I've seen all but 2 of them fights. Never saw the fight in Round 7 or Norris vs Waters (which I now have to see). Gatti/Ward and Castillo/Corrales were the obvious picks. And no surprise to see Morales/Barrera and Marquez/Vazquez in there.

As great as Froch vs Taylor was though, I'd have gone with Chavez vs Taylor 1 personally for round 12. Or now maybe even Martinez vs Chavez Jr.

I'm saddened by the lack of Chacon vs Limon 4 in there. One of the best fights I've ever seen hands down. Easily. If they'd done 'Best 15 Rounds' then they'd surely have to include a round from this beast of a fight.

If you consider yourself a Boxing fan and you've never seen Chacon vs Limon 4 then do yourself a favour and watch it. Full thing's on Youtube so no excuse...

Chacon vs Limon IV

Really is fantastic. Has to be a top 3 favourite fight of all time for me.

Man that's a great video. Rooting hard for Ricky. I don't know what to expect but I'm hoping he does well. As unlikely as it is I'd love to see him turn back the clock like 2002 Shawn Michaels.

ricky-hatton280x390.jpg

"Let's fuckin' 'ave 'im"

That Chacon v Limon fight was awesome! How hot was the crowd!!! How shit was the belt!!! Totally brutal war, Loved it thanks :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
quick heads up...Frankie Gavin fights Junior Witter on Boxnation tomorrow night, yep, Thursday night.

WOW!

Cheers Ebb, I was looking forward to this but thought it would be one of the upcoming weekends.

• Paid Members

well if you like tactical chess match type fights, you'd have enjoyed it i guess. I've always disliked Junior Witter, always wanted to see him get laid out because of the smugness of his style and he brought that in abundance against Gavin. He simply didn't do anything though, definsively sound but his lack of punch output was annoying and frustrating, especially after starting so well. They summed it up on commentary by saying no one really looks good against Witter because he's so awkward to hit but i think Gavin soundly beat him at his own game as the fight progressed. Frankie Gavin will be in better fights.

• Paid Members

It wasn't great was it. I'm the same with Witter, never been a fan. He talks a good game but I've never found him enjoyable to watch once the bell rings. Maybe it's a good thing Hatton's people didn't go for Witter as the first opponent back. The risk of such a slow, awkward fight would be shit for Ricky's big return.

Always liked Frankie Gavin though. Not just Brummie bias, I think he's got a lot of potential and he seems sound enough. He's defo a more exciting fighter than he was able to show last night and I'm sure we'll get some quality stuff out of him over the next few years.

• Paid Members

I don't even know the word to describe the card that Boxnation put out last night.

Wild, maybe?

I ain't sold on Gavin one bit yet. Fair play for moving up a level (Unlike you B.J Saunders) but Wittor is well past it. Just a frustrating watch.

Prizefighter tomorrow night. I find them really shit now unless your going to stack them with decent level domestic fighters than i ain't arsed about watching 8 nobodys with the chance 1 might do "ok" on the British scene.

Huck is on Boxnation though so you know shit is going down.

• Paid Members

Yeah I always tune in for Huck's fights. I'm still hoping they set up that Afolabi rematch soon, the first one was a war.

Did anyone catch the Barry McGuigan doc on BBC Three last week? I'd Sky+'d it and just got round to watching it. It was really good. Sports Life Stories: Barry McGuigan I think was the proper name of it.

McGuigan is someone I grew up hearing about a lot because my Dad's side of the family are all Irish. There's still a picture hanging up in my Nan's house of my Grandad meeting McGuigan. But he was before my time really and even now I've only seen 2 of his fights, the 2 most well known ones vs Pedroza and Cruz.

In recent years I've kind of soured on McGuigan. A lot down to his uneducated criticism of MMA and then backpeddling and when meeting Dana White shortly after which seemed two-faced. But then other times seems like the most likeable bloke in Boxing.

The stuff in the doc about him killing another Boxer and his brother's suicide were moving stories. Anyone read his book yet?