Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Kell Brook turned down a fight with Bradley.

I don't like Brook. Anybody on here genuinely rate him?

Hes a solid fringe world level fighter, could pick up a title. although I wouldn't say hes on the level of Bradley, he would be in with a decent chance against Bailey or Malignaggi. I dont blame him for turning down Bradley, its too early for him. A shame he's not really been challenged during his career, bar his last fight where he looked like shit for 6 rounds.

Hatton to take on Senchenko, the guy that Paulie just beat for the WBA. May look easy on paper, but the guy is going to tower over Hatton. If Ricky's half as good as he was he shouldnt have too much problems, but I still think he could of done with someone like Katsidis as a tune up.

Did anyone catch Danny Williams fight last night? For those not in the know, he made a comeback after his retirement when he lost to Chisora in 2010. He was out for a year, and his record since coming back is 3-4, losing 3 on the bounce.

He's been very active, boxing twice in September, but he's lost both against sub-standard opposition. His chin is vritually gone, and it's rather painful watching him fight now. He's nearly 40, and really should be calling it a day for good.

• Paid Members

part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lui-i45XdfM...feature=related

part 2

part 3

got this of the links of the joe frazier tribute, a great prog on taylor chavez - theres loads of these progs on yt, all vey good.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the Legendary Nights series. I recommend the Foreman/Moorer, Pryor/Arguello and Holyfield/Bowe ones as well if you haven't seen them. They should all be on Youtube.

Actually, the Legendary Nights series was done in 2003 to celebrate 30 years of Boxing on HBO. Wonder if they'll do more next year to mark the 40 year anniversary? I hope so. There's still loads of great fights that would make for a great story.

The Gatti-Ward trilogy.

Barrera-Morales trilogy.

Pacquiao-Marquez trilogy (well, quadrilogy by next year).

Cotto-Margarito 1 & 2.

Mayweather-Hatton.

There's tons more, that's just off the top of my head.

dont remember this.............what heavy would plot this shit??? maybe glen mcrory.....

Haha, never heard that one. By all accounts Nelson was a right boring fucker so maybe someone just mercifully wanted to kidnap him so he'd stop stinking the place up.

Edited by wandshogun09

I don't know if anyone has been watching that World of Sport program on ITV4 but last night they did the 2000s and had a highlight package of the Graham Earl vs Michael Katsidis fight. I'm not a huge boxing fan, but watched it at the time and was blown away then, and it was every bit as dramatic and incredible in the highlights that they showed last night.

Probably old news for a lot of the regulars in here, but full fight is on youtube in a couple of parts.

• Paid Members

Yeah I've watched bits of that World of Sport show. They showed a brief package on the Eubank vs Benn rivalry the other day as well.

Earl vs Katsidis was a tremendous fight. Earl had no quit in him and Katsidis was really coming into his best form then. Haven't seen the fight in years but the thing that always sticks with me was the one knockdown by Katsidis. Can't remember if it was the first knockdown or the finish or what but it was brutal and the crowd went eerily quiet for a few seconds.

I remember I thought I was about to have a heart attack when Earl dropped Katsidis as well but it wasn't to be. Incredible fight, I'll watch it again soon I think.

• Paid Members

Just read that it's 15 years ago today that this happened...

lennox_lewis_vs_andrew_golota_6__3_.jpg

Lennox Lewis battering Andrew 'The Bollock Killer' Golota to a first round stoppage. I've actually been watching a lot of Lewis stuff on and off over the last few months so thought I'd knock up a post on him.

221731_1.gif

Lewis was never a favourite of mine growing up. I liked him but he was never in that same category as Frank Bruno, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank or Naseem were as far as excitement for me. Personality as well, I was used to larger than life characters being a big WWF fan and Lennox was just too normal for me back then. No matter how many fights he won I was still never all that fussed to watch him. It's only since I got older and more into Boxing that I grew to appreciate Lennox, towards the middle to end of his career. It seems like a lot of fans are the same.

He had a few things against him as far as fan support went. Like I said he came across quite bland in his personality, there was fuck all to really get behind as a kid growing up on the Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. But also;

He was seen as a right big Mommy's boy

0.jpg

He loves a bit of chess

lennox-lewis16.jpg

Not exactly typical traits of a Heavyweight champion boxer. Also, he was a man of many identities. Born in Britain, of Jamaican descent but also a Canadian citizen since the age of 12 and represented them in the Olympics. There was no country he was really tied to. This is probably part of the reason he never got that really strong loyal following like a Bruno or Hatton. It certainly wasn't a lack of dedication or success.

He began his career in the amateurs in 1983 and on his second crack at the Olympics at the Seoul Games in 1988, he won the Gold representing Canada by beating Riddick Bowe in the finals. A name he would cross paths with again in the pro ranks.

Lewis vs Bowe Olympic finals '88

5590-0524lewis2-v6_jpg_427x1200_upscale_q85.jpg

By the time Lewis was ready to go professional he'd amassed an impressive 85-9 amateur record. He turned pro in 1989, signed with Frank Maloney and made light work of a bunch of journeymen and lower level opposition. His first real test came in 1991 against Gary Mason.

2156.jpg

This is the earliest fight of Lewis' I've seen. One of his best fights for me, especially from his early days. Mason was a big tough bastard. He was something like 35-0 with 31 or 32 KOs at the time of this fight. Lewis survived some rough moments and came through with a TKO in the 7th. Mason's eye was mangled and swollen really bad in this fight. It effectively finished him. He was out for 3 years, fought only twice more and then retired for good.

Mason sadly died last year when he was hit by a van while riding his bike. He was 48. I'd recommend watching the Lewis vs Mason fight though, it's one of the better heavyweight fights of the time I'd say. Especially out of Britain.

Lewis vs Mason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0dGZKa1Ic

He walked out with the British Bulldog at Summerslam 92 and then made short work of Donovan 'Razor' Ruddock that October in London;

Lewis vs Ruddock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N120cwqaS7U

Ruddock was one of few to take Mike Tyson the distance at this point so the quick dismantling Lennox gave him was very impressive to say the least.

That win should have set up a fight with WBC champ Riddick Bowe. Of course, Lewis had already beat Bowe in the Olympic finals back in 1988;

lewis-bowe.jpg

Bowe didn't want any of Lewis in the pros and decided instead to just dump his WBC belt in the bin. The WBC then declared Lewis their new Heavyweight king.

With that mess out of the way, the next big fight for Lennox would be against the man who was the true UK Heavyweight poster boy

200px-Lennox_Lewis_vs._Frank_Bruno_poster.jpg

Frank Bruno, who was one of the legit most loved TV personalities by far at the time in the UK. This was billed as 'The Battle Of Britain' and took place in Cardiff in Oct 93. A week before the big Benn vs Eubank rematch at Old Trafford.

There was some of nasty shit going about before this one with Lewis calling Bruno an 'Uncle Tom' and all sorts. Bruno responded by saying Lewis wasn't even British and went and got 'True Brit' put on his fight gear.

This is one of my earliest memories of watching Boxing as a kid. We were a big Bruno supporting house back then and my Dad wouldn't hear of 'Lummox' Lewis beating him. Bruno gave a good account of himself in the early rounds but as usual with Big Frank it all went tits up...

2z8nv4n.gif

article-1309792-007C89C000000258-162_306x202.jpg

Frank got spanked.

They're on better terms these days though

71_lennox_1164430a.jpg

Lewis vs Bruno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlhHDt6JDcg...feature=related

But just when everything seemed to be going perfect, this happened;

box_g_lewis_mccall_600.jpg

Oliver McCall sparked him in 2 rounds at Wembley.

Lewis had to work his way back up and rattled off four wins including a TKO over Tommy Morrison AKA Tommy Gunn from Rocky V.

Then the rematch was on, Lewis vs McCall 2. In what turned out to be one of the most weird fights ever in Boxing, Lennox won back the title by making McCall cry in the ring. Literally.

He lost the first few rounds and broke down and cried

Oliver.jpg

And refused to fight, leaving the referee no choice but to wave the farce off and declare Lewis once again the Heavyweight champion.

Lewis swiftly wrecked the previously mentioned Andrew Golota and then did this to Shannon Briggs;

966420_o.gif

Then came the New York robbery in March '99

Lennox-Lewis-and-Evander--001.jpg

Lewis fought almost a perfect fight. Nothing spectacular but he widely outlanded him and scored heavily with jabs and uppercuts. Olny to have the fight scored a draw on the scorecards in what I still believe is one of the worst decisions I've seen.

Lewis vs Holyfield 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS6FgHJ-OBw

They fought an immediate rematch that November. This fight was scored a unanimous decision for Lewis. I thought he rightly won this one as well but funnily enough I thought this was actually more competitive than the first which I thought was Lewis' very clearly. At least the right man won this time though.

Lewis vs Holyfield 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWW8dQKBgvU

Lennox started picking up momentum again stopping Michael Grant and Francois Botha and beating David Tua on points. Then he hit his second speed bump....

article-1327481-003C57E300000258-732_468x318.jpg

...when Hasim Rahman KO'd him in 5 rounds in South Africa in April 2001.

Lewis wanted a rematch, Rahman didn't. After a bunch of legal threats and court proceedings they agreed to a rematch for late 2001. Before the rematch both men appeared on ESPN's Up Close show to promote the fight and after some trash talk they got into a brawl in the studio...

They went from this

ez_lewis_rahman_i.jpg

To this

SNS2355CN_72699a.jpg

There's been a lot of talk over the years that this was all staged and the little scuffle does look suspect to me.

video of the 'brawl' here

Anyway, the real fight took place in the ring in Nov 2001 and Lewis once again avenged the previous loss, putting in a much better performance and doing this in the 4th...

169978_o.gif

And resulting in one of my favourite Boxing photos ever...

hasim20rahman.jpg

Lewis was nearing the end of his career now and wanting some big legacy fights. And there was no bigger than a long talked about fight with Mike Tyson.

220px-Lewis-Tyson.jpg

The fight sold itself, they were total opposites in every way. I'd left school a year before this fight and had my first job and I remember this was the first Boxing event I coughed up the money for on Sky Box Office. Everyone knew they were both coming to the end of the road but it didn't stop the event raking in over $100 million in PPV buys.

There was a ton of history with this one dating back to the early 80s when both were starting out and gaining reputations and were both having trouble finding people foolish enough to spar with them. So Lewis went to Cus D'Amato's gym to spar the young Tyson.

lewis_sm-01.jpg

The old story is that D'Amato predicted the two would meet one day in the professional Boxing ring for big money and titles.

The fight was on and off a bunch of times and was nearly killed dead when they got into a fight at the press conference which ended with Tyson biting a chunk out of Lewis' leg and threatening to "fuck faggots till they loved him".

article-0-11D106A3000005DC-9_468x286.jpg

It caused a load of hassle and the fight had to be moved from an April date in Vegas to a June one in Memphis.

When the fight finally happened there was a sense that anything could happen and the promoters weren't taking any chances even in the pre-fight intros

09pic1.jpg

Once the fight started though, it was all Lennox. He methodically picked apart and punished Tyson with jabs, uppercuts and straight punches...

Tyson_Lewis_1539498i.jpg

52xt10.gif

Finally putting him down for good in the 8th

8y75gp.jpg

Immediately after the fight, all the bad blood disappeared and they were pals again

119579929.jpg

Lewis vs Tyson

Lennox's next fight turned out to be his last. And one of his toughest fights of his career against Vitali Klitschko in June 2003.

image-3-for-best-sporzjinw.jpg

2758-718848.jpg

It was a rough fight and Vitali gave Lewis all he could handle, more a lot of the time. But Klitschko suffered a nasty cut on the eyebrow and the fight was stopped and ruled a TKO for Lewis in the 6th.

article-0-00671F4E00000258-728_306x396.jpg

Vitali was actually ahead on the scorecards at the time of the stoppage.

Lewis vs Klitschko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQm1bYZ_k8

With the unsatisfactory ending, talks for a rematch began and Lewis was originally all for it. But he changed his mind and decided to just hang up the gloves.

They did meet in the ring one more time though;

2359028792_dac4ef9af0.jpg

After Boxing, Lewis appeared on the Celebrity Apprentice series in America...

lennox-lewis---photo.jpg

...the series won by Piers Twatface Morgan. And was also reportedly offered big money to do some stuff in the WWE facing Brock Lesnar on PPV in 2003 but it never materialised.

LL.jpg

If you're thinking of watching some Lewis fights, I highly recommend the Mason, Ruddock, Morrison, Holyfield 2, Rahman 2 fights especially if you haven't seen them.

Some extra stuff worth checking out...

Lennox teaches Chris Eubank how to jab on Channel 5's 'At Home With The Eubanks' show

Legendary Nights: The Tale of Lewis vs Tyson

Beyond The Glory: Lennox Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JIVBL7b1ZM

Lennox Lewis: The Undisputed Truth (can only find this in parts)

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ehdI3AhsEg

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTJBhTSb-hY...;feature=relmfu

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH9c1ORVMHU...;feature=relmfu

Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHtaMW_SVGY...;feature=relmfu

Part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIbP2-v8O3M...;feature=relmfu

I can't recommend enough the Undisputed Truth documentary. It focuses on the lead up to the first Lewis-Holyfield fight going inside Lewis' camp and giving a more behind the scenes look at him. Really interesting, only saw this for the first time the other day. Give it a watch.

179992_small.jpg

Fuck me, that post went longer than planned.

Great post. Lewis was/is my second favourite british boxer - after Benn. Personally i think he is the greatest heavyweight of all time. What i mean by that is, that in his prime he would beat any other heavyweight against there prime, past or present. I just think he had everything, size, speed, strength, great array of punches. He would have been to big for the smaller heavyweights and to quick and powerful for the larger heavyweights.

Watching Ringside at the mo. Khan and Kell Brook and Audley on, good show.

I remember being glad Lewis lost the Rahman. As I remember it, about 5 seconds before he got knocked on his arse, Lewis gives this smug sneer with complete disdain to the man in front of him. His training going in to the fight has been not great either as he was in a Hollywood movie and was doing premieres etc instead of putting the hours on.

For his legacy, that defeat was the best thing that happened to him.