Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

anyone catch the Hopkins/Dawson rematch? an MMA news site stupidly spoilt it for me yesterday morning which pissed me off but by all accounts Hopkins really shows his age in the fight. Some sites saying it was arguably the poorest performance of his career :(

anyone catch the Hopkins/Dawson rematch? an MMA news site stupidly spoilt it for me yesterday morning which pissed me off but by all accounts Hopkins really shows his age in the fight. Some sites saying it was arguably the poorest performance of his career :(

BHop hasnt put in a good performance since he fought Pavlik a few years back, that includes his foul-infested "performance" against Pascal. Shame though, i hoped he'd win and retire.

American guys like Paulie get more chances because they make more money. Simple as that. If enzo mac had actually beaten McPhilibin legititmately, he would have a world title fight in July, and he would be incredibly undeserving. Fact is? Cleverly - Maccarinelli will make more money than Cleverly against whatever eurobum they've found in the WBO top ten. Its not limited to American fighters. What makes you think someone like Tony Bellew deserved a shot?

Edited by HeavyT

• Paid Members

i loved Hopkins performance against Pascal though, it was a perfect example of a veteran with a slowing body using his ring savvy to win the fight, Hopkins was awesome. To beat a man like Pascal (who's in his prime) at the age of 46 is impressive whichever way you wanna look at it.

• Paid Members

Mayweather vs Cotto is 2 days away. I'm really looking forward to this, despite fully expecting Floyd to win comfortably. Anyone been watching 24 7?

Episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9CTxYaRQuc

Episode 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqkI6JmiX-Y...feature=related

Episode 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruGn2ab1WVw

Episode 4 should be online sometime tomorrow or Saturday.

It's been pretty good so far but Floyd wasn't happy with the 3rd episode.

"I want to apologize to all my fans and viewers who watched 24/7 last night. I wasn't pleased with this weeks episode of 24/7. Me and my film team are providing Bentley Weiner with exciting content which she is not using. We really needed the producers from Mayweather-Hatton 24/7 to come back to HBO give the fans and viewers more excitement."

What's everyone's prediction for the fight? I can't see past Floyd. I really like Cotto but I don't see a clear way to win for him, Floyd's got him beat all around for me. I'm going Mayweather by stoppage around the 9th.

• Paid Members

Hope for a Cotto win but like you said i see no clear way for him to win.

Still if Cotto gets beaten on his record it won't do him much harm. He has a great fan base and will be gaining even more with these 24/7's.

Whats this Saul Alverez(?) like? Think he will get past a aging Shane Mosley?

• Paid Members

Yeah Cotto's expected to lose so it's not like a loss to someone like Mayweather will hurt his credibility. He's had an excellent career. He won't win but even if he makes it competitive it will look good on his resume.

As for Saul Alvarez. I really like him, he's looking like the real deal to me. He's got power, he's strong, he's beaten some good guys and he's still only 21. And he's a ginger Mexican. I think he's legit.

I'd expect him to beat Mosley handily at this stage. Probably a one sided decision I reckon, but if he can finish Mosley, who's been in with the best and never been stopped, then that will be a big statement. I'd be very surprised if he turned back the clock again like he has in the past. Probably a one last payday situation for Sugar Shane this.

Speaking of paydays, Cotto's meant to be getting $8 million not even counting PPV cuts and other bonuses. Nice to see him get a big payday like that.

Oh and there's loads of free stuff on Box Nation tomorrow. All 4 24/7 episodes are on, a special preview show from Bunce, Cotto highlights, Weigh ins all free.

Also for anyone that doesn't know, they're showing the Marco Huck vs Ola Afolabi fight tomorrow night free aswell. Good stuff.

• Paid Members

Sky Sports sources claim Chisora vs Haye will take place this summer. Not surprising. I'll def watch this, could be a brutal grudge match. That is assuming the brawl wasn't a work, which I wouldn't rule out.

• Paid Members

been enjoying 24/7 again, there's not much of a feud, very little smack talk but the show the still super entertaining. Mayweather really is in a league of his own in terms of extravangance, by contrast Cotto seems as nice and humble a guy you could meet.

I'd love to see Miguel pull it off!

• Paid Members

What a tremendous fight Mayweather vs Cotto was.

Never expected it to be that competitive to be honest. And I don't think you can put it all down to Floyd slowing down because when he went back to his defensive style in the late rounds, picking his shots and defending, he was looking just as sharp as he has in recent years. I think the fight being as competitive as it was is a credit to Cotto. He put Floyd under constant pressure and made Floyd fight more than anyone has in years, since the first Castillo fight and maybe more so. Great fight. Two highly skilled, intelligent boxers going at it for 12 rounds.

Cotto fought out of his skin to me. Shame he couldn't pull it off but he did himself proud.

One negative point for me, the Box Nation commentary. Jesus fucking shite. I had the fight for Floyd 8 rounds to 4. There was no controversy to me although I thought it was defo closer than the judges had it. But to listen to them fuckers on Box Nation's commentary you'd think it was a complete shutout. They were verbally all over Floyd's cock so much they might aswell have been in the corner between rounds doing it for real, it was embarrassing to listen to at times. Completely disrespectful to Cotto aswell who gave it a better go than probably anyone has against Floyd in the pro ranks.

Back to the positives, nice to see Floyd and Vodka breath kinda bury the hatchet. I'm not getting my hopes up for Floyd/Pacman even with the post fight call out and teasing us with 'possibly fighting in the fall'. I won't believe it until I see Michael Buffer introduce them.

Few other random thoughts;

-Alvarez/Mosley was a bit hard to watch at times. I hope Mosley calls it a day now. He's got nowt to prove, he's had a hell of a career and if he retires now at least he went out on his shield unlike his lacklustre showings in the Floyd/Manny fights. He gave it a good go in the last rounds but he was outgunned by Canelo for power and he doesn't seem to have the speed and reflexes that made him great in his prime anymore. I'm glad he never got laid out though.

Canelo isn't the finished article yet but I think he will become a big deal over the next 1-2 years. He's still only 21 and he's got a ton of potential and experience already. It's gonna be exciting to watch his progress.

-Beiber walking out with Floyd was an odd sight. He could barely hold Floyd's belts up during the intros. Triple H brought Floyd's cred back though with me.

-I got a kick out of seeing Sugar Ray and Tommy Hearns sitting together at ringside. Tyson looks good these days too.

-Anyone catch the Huck vs Afolabi fight? What a fuck of a fight. It wasn't the huge fight Floyd/Cotto was names wise but I thought it was an even better fight personally. That 12th round was cracking stuff. And the fact it ended in a draw means we get to see them go again.

Fucking great night of boxing.

Edited by wandshogun09

Cotto totally made a believer out of me, i genuinally never rated him as a propper world class boxer untill lastnight. those piss stains on commentary were like them 2 old geezers from the muppets, worst commentary ever. Boxing is a very very strange beast - you have Mayweather who is probably the best in the world who was made work very hard against cotto, then you have Pacquio who pretty much destroyed cotto but then Pac pretty much got his ass handed to him by Marquez, then you have Marquez who was absoloutly destroyed by Flloyd after he hadnt fought in 2 years.

I'm pumped up for Khan in 2 weeks. How do people see that one going?

• Paid Members

ill chip in the commentary, it was shocking. I was genuinly pissed off watching because they were almost ruining what was a great fight, ive never heard such a biased commentary team in my life. I think they realised it themselves at times because they would say 'that's no disrespect to Cotto' but then they'd back all over Mayweather's dick. Whenever Cotto would pin Mayweather up against the ropes all they'd talk about was Mayweather's brilliant defensive displays when at times he was getting clipped with left hands as they were saying it yet they would't aknowledge it. Fucking cunts the pair of em, im gonna tweet Frank Warren later to let him know what i think. My biggest gripe about Boxnation is the broadcast team, it's like they've got all the b-leaguers no one else wants. Channel 5's boxing coverage puts em to shame, Channel fucking 5!

As for the fight, i scored it 117-111 for Floyd. He looked great, but it was by no means the shut-out and one sided contest the commentary team made it out to be.