quote the raven

*Official* Youtube.com cool finds thread

FREE FULL SHOW, Pro Wrestling EVE WrestleQueendom Feat Meiko Satomura - Kay Lee Ray - Viper - Aja Kong - WAR GAMES

This is uploaded by Eve themselves, so not posting a link to a naughty upload or anything :) 

Kendo Nagasaki doing what's basically a shoot interview, talking about working with Mike Marino and Les Kellett:

On 12/5/2018 at 3:41 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

Eric Bischoff did a TEDTalk recently - Why the news media is stealing from the Pro-Wrestling Playbook

https://youtu.be/n2RCT6Li4UQ

Unfortunately, it's not very good. He starts off quite well, doing a standard heel promo to show the audience how they can be manipulated, but then it just boils down to: "The media doesn't want you to THINK, it wants you to FEEL!" Well, fuck me what a revelation. My Modern Studies teacher pointed this out to me when I was 14, and it's a bit embarrassing trying to sell this as some deep thought in the context of a TED Talk. I wish he'd just made the title of his talk "How Pro Wrestling Actually Works" or gone a bit deeper into how wrestling tropes have influenced the media/the world as a whole, which they have, but he came across as pretty weak in this. Bit of a shame, as while I was never a massive Bischoff fan, he clearly still has the verbal skills at 63 to do... something. Stick to slagging off Meltzer on your podcast for now though, Eric, you're on safer ground.

Edited by Brewster McCloud

7 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

I also noticed that Ken Shamrock had done a Ted X talk, but I just can't...

It was in Manchester as well!  I went to a TED event in Manchester and it was generally excellent. I then saw there was another one announced and Shamrock was there, but the tickets for the event were about triple the previous one so I didn't bother.  Was going to ask him something WWE related as well :(

1 hour ago, The Reverend said:

So it turns out that Slick's awesome them tune in the WWF 'Jive Soul Bro' wasn't an original!! 

Googled this and it turns out this was a double-A side with:

Captain Chameleon seems to have been an alias of David Wolff, Cyndi Lauper’s manager/boyfriend, which would explain how these 2 tunes ended up having their vocals re-recorded by JYD/Slick & being used in WWF.

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It was in Manchester as well!  I went to a TED event in Manchester and it was generally excellent. I then saw there was another one announced and Shamrock was there, but the tickets for the event were about triple the previous one so I didn't bother.  Was going to ask him something WWE related as well :(

Well, I just watched it and it's really not that bad. He comes across as a slightly gruff PE teacher giving an outside the box pep talk; "Boys, today isn't about football..." He's not the most articulate of fellows, but he gets his main point - about the importance/best way of looking after disadvantaged children - across quite well. He does the standard TED Talk thing of pacing around and using illustrative hand gestures, which I guess they're all told to do. I had no idea he had a Lion's Den "ministry" in Africa. Good on 'im. It's quite nice to know all those unnecessary fights haven't scrambled his brain too much, although the Ted Talk was a few years ago. 

Went down a YouTube rabbit-hole and came up with an episode of Big Time Wrestling from Detroit in 1978. Features a cracking match / brawl between Mark Lewin and Terry Funk, as well as The Sheik - as a babyface?!