*Official* Youtube.com cool finds thread

quote the raven

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard of this before. Was it legit? I know it probably was not set up as a legit fight but did it turn into one or was it a work?

Andre’s back was mashed st that time wasnt it. Looks awkward tho whole thing. 

The Hearthquake had a similar shoot thing go one years later as well i think.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Never heard of this before. Was it legit? I know it probably was not set up as a legit fight but did it turn into one or was it a work?

Maeda had a reputation for pulling that kind of stunt, particularly if he was booked in situations he didn't like, or against people he didn't see as "legitimate". 

I don't think the full story's ever been clear - one school of thought is that Andre started it, possibly at Inoki's instruction, to try and teach Maeda a lesson. For all the stories of Andre being potentially uncooperative, I think this would be the only real example of footage of him actively trying to shoot on someone if this were the case. 

The other explanation given is that Andre was drunk, and Maeda took exception to having to work with him in that condition, getting more frustrated as the match wore on. That Inoki seems to have a problem with Maeda when he storms out, and not Andre, would certainly suggest it was him that started it.

Either way, the match was apparently unadvertised, and only booked with a couple of days' notice, so something was likely up before the bell had even rung.

Too many of them to link directly but the Performance Center videos from the Royal Rumble weekend are well worth watching. Wish they did these things more on TV. So much easier to get behind people with genuine reactions. I know it doesn't work for heels in general but for the faces? Definitely. I got more from Black in about 20 seconds in his post Rumble reaction than for most of NXT.

5 hours ago, Sheffbag said:

The only footage (i believe) of Tommy Rich winning the NWA title and his only interview as champ. 

Sorry to split hairs, but the interview is after Race regained the title and therefore making Tommy Rich the ex-Champion.

I always cringe when you see the locker room empty to "celebrate" a new champion. I get that it is to put over the magnitude of the win, but logically a babyface win would hurt other babyfaces from receiving a shot at the belt, if the majority of matches are Heel v  Babyface?

Also if you accept that back then wrestling was portrayed as a sport, is there any other sports that you would see an individual win celebrated by rivals? I can't really imagine Cliff Lazarenko/Eric Bristow and Alan Evans jumping for joy, when Jocky Wilson won the World Darts Championship!

• Paid Members
On 2/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, Lord-Mountevans said:

Also if you accept that back then wrestling was portrayed as a sport, is there any other sports that you would see an individual win celebrated by rivals? I can't really imagine Cliff Lazarenko/Eric Bristow and Alan Evans jumping for joy, when Jocky Wilson won the World Darts Championship!

Often at Wimbledon the runner up will congratulate the winner. I'm sure I've seen that loads. You can't tell me you don't like the footage of Andre celebrating with Hogan and pouring champagne on him. It made the heel turn even better. 

Edited by gmoney