Sign in to follow this  
Ralphy

What gigs are you going to in the next few months?

On 5/27/2019 at 7:50 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Went to See Spanish Love Songs the other week. Never really listened to them before but went as my girlfriend loves them. They were OK. Another one of those American indie bands that have been listening to too much Springsteen. Did enjoy the game of SLS bingo i came up with after realising all their songs are in the same formula.

I saw them on this run too, and thought they were superb, but then I’m a massive fan.

Can see how people lump them in with The Menzingers and the Bruce worship. 

”I wanna find a haircut that fits me, that hasn’t been co-opted by Nazis” is still my favourite lyric of the last few years though.

Just booked Tiny Moving Parts, Microwave and Lizzy Farrell. REALLY tempted by the Cologne date of Boysetsfire 25 year anniversary as it’s with fucking Thursday, and Raised Fist, and even though Boysetsfire are playing London, they’ve already said they’re not bringing Thursday.

Surely they’ll be having their own show whilst they’re around Europe.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:35 AM, gmoney said:

It really was. 

I've never seen a better singer live, he was tingle down the spine good. At one point he did Condition of the Heart followed by a lovers rock version of Slow Love that just blew me away, grinning from ear to ear. Those two songs probably don't make my top 50 Prince songs, but incredible here. Also it was cabaret seating and we were in the front row, during Little Red Corvette he got in the crowd and he serenaded me with the "A body like yours/ Oughta be in jail'/ Cause it's on the verge of bein' obscene" bit about a foot from my face. A truly special night.

Apparently he does this yearly, and he's doing a George Michael one in November. 

Where was this? Was it at that little jazz bar off the back of the high street? That place is such an anomaly for Streatham; it's really quite nice and a great intimate venue for live music.

46 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Where was this? Was it at that little jazz bar off the back of the high street? That place is such an anomaly for Streatham; it's really quite nice and a great intimate venue for live music.

That's the one, The Hideaway. It's a really nice venue, sounded great. They do table service, which I am not used to at all at a gig, it felt very American, especially when they drop the cheque when the show is still on, but it's not really a complaint, it's just a different way of doing things. 

Went to Slam Dunk on Saturday in Leeds. Great day for me, the Mrs and the eldest. It's way bigger now than in previous years but with it being a single day still has a really nice atmosphere, there didn't seem to be that thing of loads of pissed up 14 year olds that you get at a lot of weekend camping festivals. I've heard there were bunch of issues with folk queuing an hour and a half for the cash machines and there was near enough no mobile signal site wide for most of the day so a lot of the card machines at the merch tents and food stalls weren't working but it didn't affect us.

The thing I love the most about the new setup is that there are two areas with side-by-side stages which means as soon as one band ends you just walk a few paces to the next stage. It's just a shame that the sound from one of these stages was encroaching in to the back half of the Punk In Drublic crowd.

We queued and hour and a half to be at the front of the New Found Glory signing. My Mrs and daughter were so excited to meet them, was well worth the wait to see their faces.

Managed to catch Cruel Hand (first band of the day and good moshy hardcore to kick off with) , Milk Teeth (always consistently good live), Anti-Flag (surprise of the weekend- a band I've always ignored but made a fan out of me on this performance alone), Mad Caddies (one of my all times favourites, good set let down by sound issues but they plodded through), Simple Plan (meh), Less Than Jake (meh), Employed To Serve (incredible) , New Found Glory (best band of the day) and caught the first ten minutes of NOFX but bailed when it became apparent they were going to be a disorganised mess.

Was at The Rutles on Friday night, going to see The Hostiles tonight. 

Alongside the ones I already had planned, now going to see L.A Witch and Aiden Hatfield next month. 

Contemplating Weezer at Brixton Academy later this month. I'm in London for Wrestle Queendom 2 that weekend anyway, with no concrete plans. Thing is, I only really care for maybe one and a half album's worth of their work.

Saw Weezer at Wembley Arena a couple of years ago, they played 90% of the Blue Album and it was brilliant. It was off the back if Pacific Daydream but it felt a Blue Album anniversary & greatest hits set, loved it. They could just come out and hit you with all new material though this time around, id still recommend going.

I saw Drab Majesty in the basement of a pub last night, they put on a great show and there were a cool mix of metallers, nu-goths and indie kids in the crowd. They've oddly not seemed to have attracted many OG goths, the closest I saw was an old dude in a Coil hoodie, have the older crowd just stuck to the classic bands while ignoring this new crop of artists from the past few years?

Muse at Ashton Gate on Wednesday. Terrific stuff. Their live product is absoutlely at home in stadia, even if it did take a while to get going and, weirdly, best appreciated right at the back row with lasers n' stuff. Their Cousin Eddie riff was excellent and well-receieved as well.

Less Than Jake have announced a tour with Goldfinger. it includes Leeds so I am there. for what will probably be about the twentieth time I've seen them.

I love Less Than Jake. they are my favourite band of all time.

52 minutes ago, Ricc1PW said:

Less Than Jake have announced a tour with Goldfinger. it includes Leeds so I am there. for what will probably be about the twentieth time I've seen them.

I love Less Than Jake. they are my favourite band of all time.

It’s the Fireball tour for this year, so expect another name added and nice cheap tickets. 

Taking Back Sunday were tremendous last night. TAYF was played in full along with a selection of their greatest hits afterwards. Adam jabbers on way too fucking much though, usually about absolutely nothing. They were rushing through the last few songs at 1.5 speed as he'd gone overboard with his inane chatter.

Still, my throat hurts from 'singing' every single word and I had 5 pints so, as old age does, I awoke with a throbbing headache. Lovely stuff.

I forget, are many going to 2000Trees from here this year? Finally planned my weekend and even though I'll be there with a mate, he does his own thing a lot so a bit of a UKFF meet up would be cool.