Sign in to follow this  
Ralphy

What gigs are you going to in the next few months?

I've missed Mineral AGAIN. They're playing a show in London this week and it looks to be their only UK date. I never knew this was even happening, much like their last UK show. Pretty annoyed at this. 

Noel Gallagher High Flying Birds tonight at Cardiff Castle. Still does a lot of Oasis stuff during the set so offered to go with a mate who didn't want to go alone but still looking forward to it. 

Better than Slam Dunk though. That line up got more and more disappointing. 

On 5/24/2019 at 1:02 PM, Shy Dad said:

Noel Gallagher High Flying Birds tonight at Cardiff Castle. Still does a lot of Oasis stuff during the set so offered to go with a mate who didn't want to go alone but still looking forward to it.

I saw him last year at Edinburgh Castle and he was excellent; his band are fantastic and his voice is always consistent. The set list had a good mix of his Oasis stuff and his best solo stuff, but the highlight was him spending time between songs taking the piss out of the parka/Pretty Green army - very witty is old Noel. Staggering amount of people wearing parkas on an absolutely roasting Summer day.

Yeah he did open up the Oasis part mentioning that there must be a lot of fans considering the shit leisure wear in the crowd. Dedicated Stop Cryigg Your Heart Out to Liverpool fans and made jokes about Cardiff City getting relegated. 

Was an excellent day out. Gavin Coombes as a support with his solo stuff and band was great too. Everyone just seemed to have a great time, didn't see a single argument in the crowd about people falling into each other or knocking beers over. 

Yeah, I found it to be a similar experience, with everyone getting on with it a couple of songs into the set. Gaz played too; surprisingly decent solo songs. 

Did he play any new songs?

From what I gathered nothing particularly new. Like older stuff people knew but the people around me knew his backing singers so I couldn't really tell if anything new was going on. 

Went to Slamdunk Festival in Leeds on Saturday. Not the type of the festival id usually attend at this point but with them adding the Punk in Drublic stage and it being something suitable to get my missus for her birthday we went up. Tremendous day, it rained for a couple of hours but knowing we had the comfort of a hotel to go back to we just caned them in the rain. First off, i couldnt believe how big the festival was, i knew the lineup had some big bands but i thought it would still be pretty small, the site had a lot of space but there had to be 20,000 people there, it felt bigger than a Bloodstock Festival, especially considering there were 6 stages running. The general feeling on Slamdunk is that its a bit of a teeny bopper festival too, didnt feel that way at all. I think the main stage was probably made up of a younger crowd but the rest of the site just felt like being at any other festival, great mix of people and good vibes, i thought it would mean Punk in Drublic would be quiet but i was wrong about that.

Band wise i did alright, caught full sets from Angel Du$t and Turnstile in the tent, both tremendous. I saw Turnstile's first ever UK show a few years ago and whilst they are still mental they've developed into a real confident live band, especially Brendan Yates, special band, special frontman.

Rest of the the day was a nostalgia-fest, Lagwagon, Millencolin & Less Than Jake on the bounce. Lagwagon were let down by a real quiet sound mix but the rest was great fun. Had to hang with the missus so skipped Bad Religion for New Found Glory on the main stage, they busted out a bunch of covers, cider was flowing and it was a good time. Then caught the Menzingers headline one of the smaller outdoor stages, fucking fantastic, before dying a deyhrated death watching nofx.

Good shit, cracking set up too. If the lineup is upto snuff next year i'll call it my missus birthday present and go again.

Edited by Egg Shen

Went to See Spanish Love Songs the other week. Never really listened to them before but went as my girlfriend loves them. They were OK. Another one of those American indie bands that have been listening to too much Springsteen. Did enjoy the game of SLS bingo i came up with after realising all their songs are in the same formula.

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Positivity about Slam Dunk. 

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It was one of my favourite things to go to a few years ago ever, but I dunno something just didn't click with me this year and the stage splits made it worse (someone I was going to go with hasn't seen Neck Deep or New Found Glory but I wanted to see Hello Goodbye and Plain White T's for nostalgia) and in the end having scrapped the Midlands section it would have been a 5 hour travel early doors or having to stay in Leeds or Hatfield for 2 nights.

Everyone I spoke to loved the sets but as per the organisation of it was a shambles. Hatfield especially the cashless system they were using stopped working and the queues for everything was abysmal and so under prepared. 

But if the line up speaks to me next year I may have to go ahead and go up with a weekend off. 

Organisation in Leeds was great, i even used the official shuttle bus system and we got there back with no issues. Bars were really busy for a couple of hours mid afternoon but after that grabbing a drink was no problem, they didnt use a cashless system either. No complaints, id recommend Leeds if you're gonna make the trip.

That's the one I would make as a very good friend lives in Leeds. Cheers for the heads up, everyone I spoke to seemingly was in South so hadn't seen much about North but glad it went smooth. 

Hopefully going to get around to doing Lollapalloza when I'm in Stockholm next month. Just waiting on our accommodation to be sorted properly before we book tickets for it. Only for one of the days mind, as I couldn't justify the full weekend by harvesting a kidney. Same goes for the predictably extortionate drinks prices. First time I'll have ever been to a festival, so I naturally can't wait.

1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Hopefully going to get around to doing Lollapalloza when I'm in Stockholm

I did mushrooms in Amsterdam once. I also went to a concert, didn’t do it, went to it. 

I'm not much of a modern hardcore fan, I'm deeply rooted in that Japanese nasty shit but Ithaca blew me away tonight. A real powerful mix of hardcore and mathcore, they're gonna be big.