Ralphy

What gigs are you going to in the next few months?

Saw SWMRS twice yesterday. Incredible live right now. Just so much passion. 

Just got my tickets through to see In Flames in Bristol. I just googled the support bands and one is Norma Jean, who I don't like and the other is Howard Jones' new band which seems like a left field choice.

28 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Just got my tickets through to see In Flames in Bristol. I just googled the support bands and one is Norma Jean, who I don't like and the other is Howard Jones' new band which seems like a left field choice.

thinking about going to that show, been years since ive seen In Flames. Have you been to SWX before Rey? its a quality venue, the best in Bristol now easily.

12 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

thinking about going to that show, been years since ive seen In Flames. Have you been to SWX before Rey? its a quality venue, the best in Bristol now easily.

I haven't even heard of the venue before. How does it compare to the O2 Academy, which is up there in my favourite venues, mostly because of the bands I have seen there and just the size and acoustics.

Addendum: I just found out that the Bierkeller closed down and I know the Fleece may be closing soon as well. Which is a right cunt, because they are some good venues.

Edited by Rey_Piste

SWX is literally a 2 minute from where the Bierkeller was. Its a nighclub thats recently started doing live bands, its smaller than the o2 but i prefer it, great sound too. I do like the o2, but its a headache when its sold out.

If you go to SWX you need to get as central in the crowd as possible, the sound is pretty shite on the edges. Quality of SWX depends on the band really, it's a club soundsystem and so works better for stuff that fits that sort of acoustic profile - stuff with more emphasis on lyrics or dynamicism is varied. Sylvan Esso, Superogranism (pop) and HMLTD (synth punk) were great there, Tank and the Bangas (hip hop) and Khruangbin (noodly funk) less so.

SWX has way better sound than the O2 but I'm of the opinion O2 sound is shite (for the bands I've seen there) 

And I'm more and more of the opinion Trinity is best venue in Bristol, seen several bands now play a gig there and a gig somewhere else and the Trinity gigs are always noticeably better. Incredible soundsystem that's super clear, easy venue to get to where you want in the crowd and the venue actually does stuff to engage in the community.

Been on a bit of a gig binge recently; seen Brother Ali, Mick Jenkins and Lee Perry all in the last 5 days. Internet next week. 

Edited by organizedkaos

I can't wait for this. They announced the line up yesterday and it looks amazing. I missed last year's due to a family trip but this year I'm all clear and bought a ticket instantly. The venues awesome for me to purely for being directly under Waterloo.

FB_IMG_1553728994053.jpg

Seen Black Stone Cherry last night at the first show of there US run, really strange to see them play to about 200 people here when I know they play arenas in the UK.

Cant lie, it was nice to be right at the stage and the band kicked ass as always 

Yeh strange that, they have such an American sound too but mean jack shit in their own country. A mate of mine won a competition to have Chris' play his guitar on stage during the Kentucky tour and Chris told him that if it wasn't for the UK the band wouldn't exist anymore.

They are headlining Caerphilly Castle in July, its sold out but im hoping to grab a ticket somehow.

Got tickets yesterday to see Ash and Static-X though.

Just realised that I'm in London when Jawbreaker are playing Brixton Academy, so strongly contemplating that one now.

I'm really looking forward to that. I'm going to have the stupidest, biggest grin on my face throughout the whole set.

Edited by Accident Prone

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Just realised that I'm in London when Jawbreaker are playing Brixton Academy, so strongly contemplating that one now.

If you’re in London the night before the gig, the Prince Charles Cinema is showing the Don’t Break Down: A Film About Jawbreaker documentary at 6:25 for one night only

5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

If you’re in London the night before the gig, the Prince Charles Cinema is showing the Don’t Break Down: A Film About Jawbreaker documentary at 6:25 for one night only

That showing up on Facebook is how I found out the gig was happening! 

I'm actually at the wrestling on the Friday, though, so will have to miss that one.