Sign in to follow this  
Ralphy

What gigs are you going to in the next few months?

14 minutes ago, lightningxlock said:

Slam Dunk

The Bouncing Souls

Conor Oberst & Phoebe Bridgers 

Hop Along

Absolutely gutted that I can't make these.That's a stellar line up you have there! 

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

how are Mallory Knox doing post-losing their frontman? i aint a fan but when that guy left i thought they had to be doomed.

I actually really enjoyed them at 2000 Trees last year which seemed to be their first real gig without Mikey. They really just seemed to be clicking more, the music was as good as always and they really seemed hyped that people still cared enough to want to see them. 

Will be interesting to see how the numbers turn out for Asylum and what the crowd is like and how they are for it being a gig they're headlining but I'm looking forward to it. 

Seemed like one of those bands where the frontman was the overwhelmingly primary focus of the band and got that pinup type of appeal within the genre. Tough to come back from.

I'd say very much correct especially for that younger fan base where the whole pin up lead ethos is very clear. 

I'll definitely have more thoughts on it after seeing them but Asylum looks a great venue so will be nice to add somewhere new. 

nice one dad, let us know it goes.

Off the point but it's blown my mind that Ralphy started this thread 13 years ago 😲

They had a different singer at 2000 Trees last year? I only watched a couple of songs but I didn't notice. Not that I'm really into them though anyway in the first place so probably wouldn't have.

Yeah the bass player has took over full vocals instead of just being the backing vocal guy. So its not as noticeable a change of sound as you still hear him quite a bit on earlier records anyway. 

Went to see the International Teachers of Pop tonight; very good. A little absurd, but with some good songs. The crowd were a little shite, dancy-wise, which led to the Brent-esque keyboard player getting a little belligerent, with his band mates very clearly rolling their eyes with his shite. 

Ian Rankin was floating about in the back.

Caught Mayday Parade and the Wonder Years last night as well as getting VIP for Parade. Brilliant gig. Having Wonder Years before hand was excellent as it let everyone just go mental for 40 minutes and fair play to the crowd the Years fans moved to let a lot of the younger Mayday fans onto the main floor for their set. 

I have no voice, I've been awake in a boiling hot hostel since 5am and I've now gotta travel home but I bloody love live music. 

Their opening act Pronoun are going to be one to watch as well. 

Deaf Havana have been announced as the final headliner for 2000 Trees as well as some more bands. 

Not too thrilled with the announcement as I don’t really like Deaf Havana and they seem to headline the festival every other year. I wish they’d get someone different in and shake it up a bit. 

Bill Burr was a good time on Friday. He's filming the same show at Albert Hall so be sure to catch it when it drops as it's a very tight, relevant set.

It was a weird mixed crowd though. Bill is left-wing with some centrist views so his audiences are made up of everyone from every walk of life, but he also appears on Joe Rogan's show regularly and isn't too keen on the Democratic line-up so you get THOSE folk there too.

It was quite nice actually, seeing everyone drop their guard for a couple of hours so this yank can shit on both sides of the political fence. Reminded me of when I was in my early twenties, when political discourse came down to tax rates and the government's role in education.

A slight shit stain on the night was some white guy dropping the N-Bomb whilst queuing for beer, and his mates quickly walking away from him (I assume due to utter shame and discontempt) as he yelled, "What?? WHAT?!?".

I'll potentially be "vomited" on by a small Japanese lady next month, some proper weird little punk act called 14th Generation Toilet Hanako-san is playing in Brum. Think Babymetal but one girl dressed as a toilet ghost and instead of pop metal it's more raw hardcore with almost black metal levels of screaming.