DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it at the cinema last night, we wanted to see Wolf Creek, but we couldn't get in with it being an Eighteen. :(

You didn't miss much! I went to see Wolf Creek today and it is poor(very disappointing given the number of positive reviews going around). Outside of the last 15-minutes(where there is actually some action) it is boring and very slow. The acting is passable, as is the story, but it just takes too long to get going, and nothing happens until the last 15-minutes! I have seen comparisons to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but TCM is so much better. Wrong Turn is better. It is probably one of the worst films I have seen this year!
Just got back from seeing it myself, also found it boring. I actually preferred the first half of the film to the second, there was very little gore and the kills were boring. Wouldn't mind going to Wolf Creek though that looked like an amazing place to visit even if it is out in the middle of nowhere. :sneaky:

Watched all four of the George A. Romero zombie moves over the past week, as well as the remakes.

Night of the Living Dead (30th Anniversay Edition)

A mess of a movie, with all the character building (and some action) taken out and 15 minutes of pointless new footage added. The ending is different as well. Still somewhat enjoyable for the old stuff that is still left, but see the original version instead! (**)

Night of the Living Dead (1990 Remake)

A good, respectable remake of the 1968 original. Most of the film is the same as the original, but Tom Savini(the director) adds his expertise in special effects, and the ending is also different. The cast is pretty good, with the dependable Tony Todd as good as you would expect, and the rest of the cast all perfectly acceptable in their parts. Much better than the 30th anniversary re-hash (and mess) of the original. (***)

Dawn of the Dead

A great film, with a good mix of action, gore, humour, and some good character building. Some of the make-up effects do not stand the test of time, but it is still the best of Romero's films. (****)

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

A great movie, with great action, great special effects & make-up, some good humour, and very gory in places. There are some good and interesting characters that the viewer can care about (even though they are not developed as much as you would hope), and the acting is pretty good as well (Sarah Polly, Jake Weber, and Ving Rhames are all great as three of the main cast, and all of the other main cast are just as good). The first 10-minutes of the film(pre-title) are great, and one of the best beginnings to a film you will see! Dawn of the Dead is a great movie, one of the best films of 2004 (probably the best horror), and very fun to watch. It is on-par with the 1978 original, and at times it is even better! (****)

Day of the Dead

A good film, which starts of somewhat slow(in the 1st half of the film), but gets better as it goes on into the second half of the film. There is some good action throughout, and the usual gore you come to expect from a Romero film. The zombie Bub is also great! (***)

Land of the Dead

A good film, with some good action and again the gore and effects you have come to expect. Somewhat disappointing though, and as the credits roll you feel the film was pointless! None of the characters are developed, and therefore you don't care about any of them. Dennis Hopper is wasted in his role, and the acting throughout never really gets above average. The idea that the zombies have started to learn is interesting, but most of the film involves you watching them walk towards the city! The action and story seems rushed, the ending could and should have been better, and all in all it is not upto the level of a Romero film! I am guessing that Romero was forced to cut some of the gore and action (and maybe story) to get the rating down (15 certificate in the UK!), and therefore I hope that the uncut version which is being released next month is better! (***ish).

I got to see a free showing of Howl's Moving Castle during the week.

A very good (fun) film, with a solid voice cast (Christian Bale, Lauren Bacall, Emily Mortimer, Billy Crystal, Jean Simmons), a good story, and some nice animation and visuals throughout. If you liked Spirited Away then see this. (***1/2)

Guest Dan Fears Satan

Sorry but I loved Million Dollar Baby too, the dialouge acting and story in general where all outstanding. I caught Land friday night to some dissapointment. Saw Butterfly Effect yesterday which was dire. 100 minutes of a complete mess!!! I caught Rules of Attraction mid week, really liked it. The whole student thing is relatable but theres a few trendy elements I wasnt a fan of *the cast for a start*. And last night watched the absaloute classic Clerks, I've seen it hundreds of times and its still great. Will Kevin Smith ever out of do this? I think not.

Spot on Dan, spot on. Rules was a great surprise, and Dawson stole the film. Haven't seen Land Of The Dead yet, but I have a feeling I am going to come out of it saying the DOTD remake was better.The Butterfly Effect is a nightmare of a film, with some of the best unintentional comedy I have ever seen. I literally rolled around on the floor laughing during one "emotional" scene.

I went to see Revolver today.

It is mildly entertaining in parts, but tries to be clever and complex (and confusing) and fails on most levels! At times it seemed like Guy Richie watched a Quentin Tarantino movie(Kill Bill) and Fight Club, and then thought "I like that bit and that bit" and used it in Revolver! It is too confusing for what it was meant to be, and by the end you are wondering what the heck is going on (there are also no end credits). Jason Statham can be good in bit parts(Mean Machine), but to have him as the lead man in this film wasn't a good idea (that said he isn't bad as the lead in Transporter) as he is not upto the part. Ray Liotta is usually great, but is only pretty good in this. The rest of the cast seem to be going through the motions. The dialogue and cryptic script gets boring fast. All in all the film has some enjoyable action at times throughout, but on the whole is pretty basic stuff, and really unspectacular. (**)

I finally got to see Sin City on saturday and Batman Begins on Sunday. Sin City was as good as I expected it to be, I'll definatley have to sit and watch it again. Batman Begins was decent but I wish Scarecrow had been given a bigger role as he's my fave Batman villain.And yes, Butterfly Effect is a god awful piece of shit. After watching it I declared it to be nothing more than 'Donny Darko-Lite' and I still stand by it.

Guest KANO_THE_MYSTIC

I finally got to see Sin City on saturday and Batman Begins on Sunday. Sin City was as good as I expected it to be, I'll definatley have to sit and watch it again. Batman Begins was decent but I wish Scarecrow had been given a bigger role as he's my fave Batman villain.And yes, Butterfly Effect is a god awful piece of shit. After watching it I declared it to be nothing more than 'Donny Darko-Lite' and I still stand by it.

Yer I haven't seen it but from what ive seen it doesn't lookthat good plus everyone is making it sounds like its the best film ever . I was going to finally buy it but after hearing someone actually say its (what i suspected) crap then Im sure I wont bother

Yer I haven't seen it but from what ive seen it doesn't lookthat good plus everyone is making it sounds like its the best film ever . I was going to finally buy it but after hearing someone actually say its (what i suspected) crap then Im sure I wont bother

You're talking about Butterfly Effect right?If so please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please don't pay ANY money to see it. If you really insist on seeing it just borrow it from a friend or something.