The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

BVD is, I think, a Japanese company that sponsors New Japan heavily.Weight divisions:UK:Heavyweight: No weight limitMid-Heavyweight: 209 lbs limitLight-Heavyweight: 198lbs limitHeavy-Middleweight: 187lbs limitMiddleweight: 176lbs limitWelterweight: 165lbs limitLightweight: 154lbs limitJapan:Heavyweight: 220lbs and aboveJunior-heavyweight: 228lbs limitLight-heavyweight: 190lbs limitW/WWF/E:Heavyweight: No weight limitLight-heavyweight: 225lbs limitWCW:Heavyweight: No weight limitLight-heavyweight (1991-92): 234lbs limitCruiserweight (1996-2001): 225 lbs limitNWA:Heavyweight: No weight limitJunior-heavyweight: 190lbs limitLight-heavyweight: 175lbs limitMiddleweight: 160lbs limitUFC:Heavyweight: 265lbs limitLight-heavyweight: 205lbs limitMiddleweight: 185lbs limitWelterweight: 170lbs limitLight-weight: 155lbs limit(Also recognises super-heavyweight (265+), featherweight (145 max), bantamweight (135 max) and flyweight (under 125) divisions but does not promote matches.)

Also, if in Japan they call a suplex a brainbuster, what do they call a brainbuster?

Avalanche-style brainbuster.BVD is a sportswear-type company I think. Wrestling tights etc.

I think WCW and WWE had the limit at either 215 or 220... depending on how they felt.

Yeah it's whatever they feel like. The old WCW Light-Heavyweight title in '91 was 235 pounds.

I remember Christian doing segments on Sunday Night Heat where he trained in "Kurt Angle's chicken suit" so he could get down to the weight limit in time for a cruiserweight title match on the show...

Disco Inferno's influence can not be underestimated.

In New Japan there's often B.V.D written on the ring or on the referee's shirt. What is this all about?

It's a mens underwear brand. It stands for Bradley, Voorhees & Day.

Also, if in Japan they call a suplex a brainbuster, what do they call a brainbuster?

It's just a different name for the move than in the US. Like the clothesline being called a lariat, and a back suplex is called a backdrop, for example.

Avalanche-style brainbuster.
Not true, sir. Avalanche-style means from the second or third rope - so an avalanche-style brainbuster is a superplex.

• Paid Members

I stopped watching wrestling from late '99 to 2004. What are these 'desire' videos that pop up around the internet all about, and how did it all start?

They are basically promo video packages containing a certain wrestler. The guys talk about their experiences in front of the crowd, etc. The basic theme is how much desire they have to perform in the WWE.They started with Steve Austin, Foley, undertaker and The Rock, I believe. There's also a very good Matt Hardy spoof one.

• Paid Members

Whats the maximum weight to be classed a Cruiserweight? or Juniorweight? or what ever way you want to put it?

I think WCW and WWE had the limit at either 215 or 220... depending on how they felt.I remember Christian doing segments on Sunday Night Heat where he trained in "Kurt Angle's chicken suit" so he could get down to the weight limit in time for a cruiserweight title match on the show...
Didn't WWF in 1997 have a crazy weight limit for the Cruizerweights? 185 to 195lbs?

I stopped watching wrestling from late '99 to 2004.  What are these 'desire' videos that pop up around the internet all about, and how did it all start?

They are basically promo video packages containing a certain wrestler. The guys talk about their experiences in front of the crowd, etc. The basic theme is how much desire they have to perform in the WWE.They started with Steve Austin, Foley, undertaker and The Rock, I believe. There's also a very good Matt Hardy spoof one.
And a Bret Hart one too :)

Guest DEAD MAN

I was on the EWW site (Extreme World Warfare) and was impressed on what i saw but ive never realy heard much about this company. Could someone tell me where it is based and if you have ever attended a show of theres what was it like? Could you also put in any other information that you might know about the company.Thanks in advance :yinyang:

Just wanted to re-post this incase it got over looked, sorry if re-posting this has annoyed anyone :yinyang:

Right here's one:I am aware of the term 'kayfabe' and what it means, but where did it originate from?

Edited by JJC04

I stopped watching wrestling from late '99 to 2004.  What are these 'desire' videos that pop up around the internet all about, and how did it all start?

The original desire videos were made for wrestlers who at the time planned to retire (Undertaker and Steve Austin). Due to their popularity more were made.

• Awards Moderator

The original desire videos were made for wrestlers who at the time planned to retire (Undertaker and Steve Austin). Due to their popularity more were made.

*scratches head* wasn't the first one a potted "history of WWF" right up to the name change, to celebrate the end of an era?