The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Hi.Whatever happened to Dory Funk's golden boy "Adam Windsor"? Is he out the business? What are all the malicious rumours about him? Was he really British?Thank you.

He really was British. I think he came from Coventry, oddly enough.Last I heard he was still around, but it's a long time since I heard anything from Dory's dojo.And "malicious rumours"? I couldn't possibly comment on the proclivities of Dory's wife. Oops. Have I said too much?

I could be wrong here, but this is what I've gathered from numerous interviews and stuff when the phrase has been mentioned:The Gorilla Position is where the agent for a match stands and watches, just behind the curtain/entrance out of the view of the crowd.Then when the wrestlers come back through after the match, that agent is the first person to see them.It got the name because Gorilla Monsoon was the person who usually stood there during his WWF tenure.I think judging shoot interviews depends on what you think about the individual concerned.For example I wouldn't be arsed to listen to legends like Jushin Liger or Harley Race talk about their careers because I haven't followed their careers. But I would be happy to sit through 3 hours of someone like Raven because I did follow his career and am interested in what he has to say.

• Paid Members

I could be wrong here, but this is what I've gathered from numerous interviews and stuff when the phrase has been mentioned:The Gorilla Position is where the agent for a match stands and watches, just behind the curtain/entrance out of the view of the crowd.Then when the wrestlers come back through after the match, that agent is the first person to see them.It got the name because Gorilla Monsoon was the person who usually stood there during his WWF tenure.I think judging shoot interviews depends on what you think about the individual concerned.For example I wouldn't be arsed to listen to legends like Jushin Liger or Harley Race talk about their careers because I haven't followed their careers. But I would be happy to sit through 3 hours of someone like Raven because I did follow his career and am interested in what he has to say.

I really haven't watched much in a while. I watched Angle's shoot the other day and it was pretty tame.The only ones I recall are Balls' and Sandmans.Is Brett's any good? Cus I'm gonna watch it tomorrow. Edited by stuey2dope

• Paid Members

As I understand it, the Gorilla position isn't so much for the agent of the match, rather it's for the guy making sure each wrestler is in the right place so they can go out when their music hits, particularly at a TV taping or PPV.

And can I have some opinion on what are some of the best shoot interviews to view?

The first Jim Cornett shoot that he did with RF was tremendous and is my favourite, although you cant go wrong with any Cornette (I have at least 15, and that doesn't include when he was doing the interviewing for ROH like with the Bruno and Konan ones). The Bill Watts shoot (also RF) would rank second, and the Lanny Poffo shoot comes in third. Of the newer ones I would recommend any Jamie Dundee stuff.

As I understand it, the Gorilla position isn't so much for the agent of the match, rather it's for the guy making sure each wrestler is in the right place so they can go out when their music hits, particularly at a TV taping or PPV.

This. Back in the day, Gorilla Monsoon was the guy in charge of timing the TV shows. He would be just behind the curtain (or occasionally somewhere else in the arena with a clear view of the ring) on headset with a clock and a format sheet, making calls through the ref's earpiece to let the guys in the ring know what to do when. Because Vince was apparently the first guy to do that kind of thing in such a disciplined way (as opposed to just having the ringside timekeeper giving the guys signals), the position came to be named after the guy who was most famous for it.Nowadays, of course, there are several guys there - Vince himself, Kevin Dunn, Stephanie, and one or more agents may all be there.

This. Back in the day, Gorilla Monsoon was the guy in charge of timing the TV shows. He would be just behind the curtain (or occasionally somewhere else in the arena with a clear view of the ring) on headset with a clock and a format sheet, making calls through the ref's earpiece to let the guys in the ring know what to do when. Because Vince was apparently the first guy to do that kind of thing in such a disciplined way (as opposed to just having the ringside timekeeper giving the guys signals), the position came to be named after the guy who was most famous for it.Nowadays, of course, there are several guys there - Vince himself, Kevin Dunn, Stephanie, and one or more agents may all be there.
Its a bit surprising that it isn't the road agent whose responsible for that. Surely they've got the most to lose from a match they're in charge of falling apart?

Nah, one guy is usually responsible for timing the entire show. If a match over-runs, he's got to quickly figure out where to cut time from another match, or if a match is dying on its arse, he's got to know when to make the call to go home.I have no idea who does it for WWE now. I remember reading a while back that Jerry Jarrett had been doing it since the beginning for TNA but that the company was freaking out when he left because they didn't have anyone else that they thought was up to it. It's a pretty big job on live TV, especially PPV.

• Paid Members

If I remember rightly, Paul Bearer was doing it for a while on one of his last runs and said it was ridiculously highly pressured.I don't know if he does that job, but Bruce Prichards is nearly always sat by the curtain when you see backstage stuff (in DVD extras rather than part of the show).Incidentally, according to a Rick Steamboat interview, the pre-earpiece signalling system involved the wonderful technical trick of road agents putting a pencil in their teeth when a match had to go longer, and the timekeeper adjusting his tie when it was time for the finish.

My account has been disabled on XtremeWrestlingTorrents, i had a ratio of .589 with 1 or 2 days left of having to get it to .600. Is there any way i can get my account re-enabled?

Registration reopens in 2 weeks. Thats crap that, that happened, as they have just added 5 gig onto everyones accounts, as well as free leeches and double uploads because of the 3rd anniversary celebrations.

Socuring through wikipedia, i have noticed that there was a Harley Race vs Haku match on the Royal Rumble 1989 PPV, a match that was cut for the Coliseum video release. Same goes for the Mountie vs Koko B Ware in RR 1991. Can anyone tell me why these were cut? (I'm assuming its time constraints) Also, are there any other examples of this occurring?EDIT: It's been a long time since i've watched the PPV, but i cant recall the Slaughter/Duggan/Tornado/Santana vs Col. Mustafa/Berzerker/Skinner/Hercules match from Survivor Series 1991 either

Edited by RoryFice

• Paid Members

Yep, at that stage in the US it was much more expensive to produce a tape above two hours. The US format uses more physical tape per hour, so a two hour show there used the same tape as a three hour show here. Earlier WWF tapes were limited to two hours wherever possible, either through clipping matches or cutting them altogether. WCW actually stuck to two hours for most of their releases well into the 90s.The next size up (our 4 hour tapes) was only 2:40 in the US, so you either had to use EP (the US equivalent to our LP, but it was three times as 'fast' so much shittier quality) or cut a few minutes out of a PPV. In most cases this was simply done by ditching a few promos or commercials, or losing a minute of a match here or there, but occasionally a minor match bit the dust completely.