The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Will Wrestlemania this year be shown on Box Office?

Yep.Mania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series & a couple of others are all on Box Office. The rest are on Sky Sports.

The original desire videos were made for wrestlers who at the time planned to retire (Undertaker and Steve Austin). Due to their popularity more were made.

*scratches head* wasn't the first one a potted "history of WWF" right up to the name change, to celebrate the end of an era?
No, the history video was first used in a storyline, put together by then co-owner Ric Flair to convince Vince to not bring the poison of the nWo into the WWF.After that angle it was aired on the shows like the other Desire videos. All of them are up on pwtorrents at the moment for anyone missing any.

• Paid Members

UK:Heavyweight: No weight limitMid-Heavyweight: 209 lbs limitLight-Heavyweight: 198lbs limitHeavy-Middleweight: 187lbs limitMiddleweight: 176lbs limitWelterweight: 165lbs limitLightweight: 154lbs limit

Why do we have welterweight and not light-middleweight?Who's better, Bret or Shawn? Sorry. :blush:

• Paid Members

Why do we have welterweight and not light-middleweight?

Because in boxing, you have the straightforward lower divisions (middle/welter/light/feather/bantam/fly), and then one in between each of them. Depending on the governing body, it's either 'super' the one below (so middleweight, super-welterweight, welterweight, super-lightweight) or junior the one above (so middleweight, junior-middleweight, welterweight, junior-welterweight).Anyway, to get to the point, if there was a light-middleweight, it would theoretically be in between middle and welter.

I am aware of the term 'kayfabe' and what it means, but where did it originate from?

Kayfabe is impossible to track down for certain as (for obvious reasons) there's no written evidence of its early use.It appears to be a corruption of pig Latin. This involves putting the first syllable at the end of a word and following it with 'ay'. Or isthay volvesinay uttingpat the irstfay yllablesay at the end of an ordway.Fake would become ke-fay, which could conceivably have been corrupted over time kayfabe.There are other stories about it being based on someone's name, but there's no evidence to support this.It almost certainly comes from the carnival days (where 'beat the wrestler' was among the scam sideshow games), as the only other place its been heard is among people who have descended from carnival families.

The original desire videos were made for wrestlers who at the time planned to retire (Undertaker and Steve Austin). Due to their popularity more were made.

I don't believe this is the case. When was Undertaker exactly planning on retiring?The first one was 'My Sacrifice' with all the stars. IIRC, after that there were some 'individual' ones, and then of course the awesome Kid Rock History of WWE video that Flair played to convince Vince not to bring in the NWO.

• Awards Moderator

It almost certainly comes from the carnival days (where 'beat the wrestler' was among the scam sideshow games), as the only other place its been heard is among people who have descended from carnival families.

...where, as a footnote for further questions, the term 'mark' comes from. There would be a stooge in the crowd looking for people who would be easy to beat yet willing to put up money. This stooge would mark their back or shoulder with chalk to highlight someone in the crowd worth picking.This term goes through all carnival attractions of a "step right up" nature, not just wrestling sideshows.

• Paid Members

There's also another variation on the origin of mark (which probably comes from the same people), by which hobos who went from door to door asking for food and shelter would, if they got treated well, leave a mark on the gatepost so that fellow hobos would know the household was an easy touch.

As for the "Desire" videos... I gather the historical one was one of the LAST proper "Desire" video that WWE rattled off.It all started with the general Superstars video, which was done to Creed's "My Sacrifice". They also made an Austin video, to Creed's "Weathered", which lasted a few weeks before Austin walked out (so you can probably date that to some time in early 2002).The Rock had a video set to POD's "Alive"; Undertaker had one to Gavin Rossdale's "Adrenaline" (which was also used as a theme tune to the Unforgiven 2002 PPV - and IIRC, these two were tied in); Matt Hardy had one set to a bastardised version of his entrance music...Jeff Hardy got one to Our Lady Peace's "Not Enough"; Chris Jericho got one done to his "King of My World" song by Saliva; and of course, HHH's return from injury was met by a long line of videos set to U2's "Beautiful Day". Now you start getting into muddy waters.While they were not labelled as "Desire" videos, Kurt Angle (Coldplay - Clocks) and Mick Foley (Staind - So Far Away) also got the similar music video treatment upon their returns.

It all started with the general Superstars video, which was done to Creed's "My Sacrifice". They also made an Austin video, to Creed's "Weathered", which lasted a few weeks before Austin walked out (so you can probably date that to some time in early 2002).

Are you sure? I know you're the Music Maestro and all, but I could have sworn that Austin's was also done to 'My Sacriice'.Great idea btw, Rick.

I'm slowly working my way through Chokehold which is a great read showing the depths at which the NWA went to in order to keep things 'proper' in relation to outlaw promotions and blacklisting of wrestlers. From this, I was wondering what was attempted to try and quash Vince's nationalisation of the WWF? Surely they didn't just let him expand into territories which weren't his own, or did they? My knowledge of this subject is very poor so I'm not sure even if the question is a valid one, but can anyone provide a rough summary of what went down? :)

Edited by Pegasus Kid