The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

I know what you're saying. I am up-to-date (in that I completely missed '05 and most of '06, starting rewatching from Nov '06) and I'm not feeling it either.

Part of the problem for me is that I just don't buy into MO'z as the uber-baddies. They're far more "NWO Black & White" than "Aagan Iisou" and, to me, they just don't feel that much of a threat.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Typhoon. I may be a whole fucking year behind (that KoG 2005 final ROCKED! :D), but from what I have seen on DGUSA I really ain't feeling it.CIMA, Susumu and Ryo in the same faction for one. CIMA is the ace of the company (Don Fujii just happens to hold the Dream Gate), and is going to be seen as such. Susumu and Ryo alongside CIMA isn't going to benefit either of them in terms of their standing on the roster.Typhoon is almost as crowded as Muscle Outlaws too. CIMA, Susumu and Ryo for three. Then throw in Dragon Kid, Mori and Hulk, plus Evans and Sydal when they are over there. It may lead to a lot of combinations in tag matches and various other elimination style matches, but a lot of guys will get lost in the shuffle. Susumu and Kid are particularly at risk, at least Ryo has a natural feud with Genki going on.Two factions with loads of members, or a traditional set-up of numerous factions? I know what I would prefer. Then the question is how to split the large factions effectively. I'm guessing (and hoping) Shingo and Doi align permanently (and away from Typhoon and MoZ) for starters.

I'd say theres some suprises instore with the stable situation, I mean Doi/Shingo are aligned in ROH, Doi is trying to recruit Mori (but not necessarily to join MO'z), Ryo only joined Typhoon beacuse of Mori and Evans is looking like he could turn on CIMA, so supposing they all formed a stable you would have a unit consisting ofRyo,Doi,Shingo,Mori & possibly Evans leavingTyphoon - CIMA,Susumu,Dragon Kid,BxB & SydalMO'z - Genki,Gamma,Yoshino,Kishiwada,Cyber Kong Tozawa-Juku - Tozawa,Iwasa,Araken,Ono & ShousidoThe only ones remaining unitless (of any significance) would be Mochizuki(who's said he won't be joining a unit), Fuji (who although of his partnership with CIMA, hasn't joined Typhoon) & Kanda (who was teaming with Onodera before he went on his excursion).

Except either one of two things will have to happen for that set-up.Doi and Shingo turn face, which isn't appealing considering how awesome both are as heels (and how Doi only caught fire when he turned at the start of 2005)orRyo turns heel, which considering Genki just has, would knacker the Ryo/Genki feud.I don't particularly like either prospect.

SUWA FINAL3/11/2007 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall1. SUWA (5:00 Draw) CIMA2. Aja Kong (1:34 Uraken) Lingerie Mutoh3. Jinsei Shinzaki, Shinjitsu Nohashi{W} (10:26 Sakauchi) Ultimo Dragon, Little Dragon{L}4. Yoshihiro Takayama{W}, Minoru Suzuki, Go Shiozaki (18:47 Everest German) TARU, brother YASSHI{L}, Akitoshi Saito5. Shuji Kondo (16:00 King Kong Lariat) SUWACIMA and Fujii appeared before match 1, leading to the quick match. Original Crazy MAX appeared together in the ring for one last time, shaking hands.This was the second ever CIMA vs. SUWA singles match, and also the second 5 minute draw.The show ended with the traditional 10 gong ceremony. SUWA will now travel en route to his final retirement in Mexico in May, on his 10th anniversary.

Really looking forward to seeing the main event, shame SUWA/CIMA only went 5 minutes should be worth seeing though.

I've just been re-watching some 2004 Dragon Gate and in the build-up to the Mori vs. Sugawara Hair vs. Hair match they show Mori shaving his friend Ryo Saito's head. Why was Anthony shaving Ryo's head?

Also, did the loser of a Mori vs. Sugawara Hair match ever get his head shaved? My not-always-reliable memory tells me they had two cracks at the match (one going to a no-contest and one won by Anthony), but the only person who lost his hair was President Thingy when Aaagan Iisou duffed him up after Mori's win.

I remember Ryo took a head-shaving after Sugawara beat Mori at some stage.

Ah, that might've been the match I remembered as going to a no-contest. Mori gets beat, Ryo gets heroic and says "I'll take the haircut... but you'll have to do the cutting".This is starting to sound familiar.

Just seen the line-up for the March 25th pay-per-view:-

13 Mar 2007 Dragon Gate - MEMORIAL GATE full lineup3/25/2007 Mie, Tsu City Gym1. Akira Tozawa, Taku Iwasa, Keni'chiro Arai, Yuki Ono vs. BxB Hulk, Dragon Kid, Anthony W. Mori, Atsushi Aoki (NOAH)2. Magnitude Kishiwada, Kengo Takai (Garoga Knight's) vs. Yasushi Kanda, Kintaro Kanemura (Apace ProWrestling Gumi)3. Open the Brave Gate: Matt Sydal vs. Genki Horiguchi4. Stalker Ichikawa Z Bosou 10 Match Series #1: Stalker Ichikawa Z vs. Jun Akiyama (NOAH)5. Cyber Kong vs. Masaaki Mochizuki6. Open the Triangle Gate: Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Gamma vs. Ryo Saito, Susumu Yokosuka, CIMA7. Open the Dream Gate: Don Fujii vs. Jushin Thunder Lyger (New Japan/CTU)

Doesn't fill me with excitement, I have to say. I feel for poor Mochi. :(Stalker getting murdered will be fun. The OTG should be fine as long as it's an actuall match rather than endless overbooking to get around Gamma's limitations. I have no idea how Fujii will mesh with Liger, but, even though it doesn't make go "oooh" in the same way as, say, Susumu or Mochi vs. Liger, I'm looking forward to watching them try at least.The rest: Meh. An Infinity episode at best.

I remember Ryo took a head-shaving after Sugawara beat Mori at some stage.

Ah, that might've been the match I remembered as going to a no-contest. Mori gets beat, Ryo gets heroic and says "I'll take the haircut... but you'll have to do the cutting".This is starting to sound familiar.
I think what happens is, Mori gets pinned, Ryo tries to take the haircut for him, but Sugawara will only agree to it if Mori does the cutting. The he tries to cut Anthony's hair afterwards anyway. The bastard.Yeah, that PPV line up does not inspire me. The worst thing being, Sydal is probably going over Genki.EDIT - I see Jack Evans has just turned heel and joined MoZ. What the fuck is their unit concept, anyway?

I told you: theyre the fucking NWO B-Team!You know we'll get Kong/Gang/Evans vs. Turboman/Shenron/Shisa Boy by the end of the year and, lo, shall it suck a mighty member.

004.jpg

Anybody interested in the above DVD "Stalker Ichikawa : The World's Most Weakest Counter Attack"? Here's the card :

[*]2/3 Falls Retirement Match #1 - Miki Bean Jam Filled Rice Cake Eating Contest : Stalker Ichikawa VS Akira Tozawa

[*]Gamma / Ishinriki / Chocoball Mukai VS Yamato Onodera / Don Fujii / Tetsuhiro Kuroda

[*]Kevin Steen VS Shinobu

[*]2/3 Falls Retirement Match #2 - Pro Wrestling Rules : Akira Tozawa VS Stalker Ichikawa

[*]Mister Pogo / Touryu VS Masayoshi Motegi / Katsunari Toi

[*]CIMA / BxB Hulk / Onryo VS MIKAMI / Kota Iibushi / Daichi Kakimoto

[*]2/3 Falls Retirement Match #3 - Vale Tudo Rules : Akira Tozawa VS Stalker Ichikawa

Running time 90 mins. I believe the matches are complete, as all the 7 matches last only about 70 mins.

Having been out of the loop Dragon Gate wise for over 4 years! ( Looks misty eyed at his last watched Toryumon shows of late 2002, Darkness Dragon unmasks, Kanda retires, DO FIXER formed and Ryo turns heel, plus SUWA and Owashi roaring and brawling) i've spent many hours reading through the thread to help me get back up to date with the DG LOVE THAT I HAVE YEARNED FOR and also a big thanks to JLM's awesome DG guide.Will now go through the process of actually getting to see some of the much hyped matches and pimped shows whilst throwing in a few reviews and tidbits to keep this thread FRESH~!Look out for a small review of the DG in China 12/19 show soon.Will also be looking to watch some of the former Toryumon/DG guys such as SUWA in NOAH and Yasshi and Kondo tearing it up in AJPW.In keeping with the FRESH NEWS STUFF!Mochi and Kanda will travel to New Japans' 4/13 Osaka Prefectural Gym convention. They will attempt to win back the IJ Tag titles from Jado and Gedo.

Archived