FWA Sign TV Deal with TWC

PC316

FWA Press Release - Posted 09.03.04The Frontier Wrestling Alliance is proud to announce that on March 4 th 2004, a five-year contract was signed to make the FWA the sole and exclusive UK promotion on the new Wrestling Channel.The deal, which has been in the works for over twelve months, will incorporate many different facets of the FWA.Alongside the FWA's weekly television show, viewers can expect to find everything from highlights of FWA main shows, FWA wrestler profile shows, FWA Unsigned, and FWA home shopping.Over the coming year, there are even plans for a fly-on-the-wall documentary series, as well as sit-down interviews with imported foreign talent.The deal is exciting news for both the FWA and The Wrestling Channel. For over five years now, the FWA have strived to bring the best homegrown talent into the living rooms of wrestling fans around the United Kingdom on a regular basis. The signing of our first national weekly TV slot is a huge landmark for us as a company.Everybody at the Frontier Wrestling Alliance would like to thank the wrestlers, staff, and most importantly the loyal fans, that have helped to make this vision a reality.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Well, there goes any pretension that The Wrestling Channel would be good for british Wrestling, and that the FWA cared about the business as a whole.

I had heard rumours of this for a while, and didn't want to believe them, but I knew it had to be true. What I am told is that Sean Herbert doesn't know much about British Wrestling, though, which this announcement confirms.

I had hoped that The Wrestling Channel would be built on a model like Japan's Samurai TV, which features action from all over Japan, as well as abroad. What this decision has done is close a TV outlet to everyone but the FWA's chosen ones.

Which I could understand if the FWA were the only ones producing both quality wrestling, and quality production. But they're not. I'm not knocking what the FWA do - it's good in places - but there are a dozen others who can match them in terms of action, and a handful who already have the facilities to match their production. GPW is actually using the same company, for Christ's sake!

What makes things even worse is the five year clause. Five years ago, the FWA didn't exist. Two years ago they found themselves at the center of Revival and things took off. What this clause means is that no promotion, even if they grow bigger than the FWA, can get TV on The Wrestling Channel for five years. Shocking.

The gossip is, of course, that the FWA insisted on this clause in return for a long term commitment to The Wrestling Channel. The gossip says that, yes, the FWA may secure a deal with a major channel, but to ensure that TWC would keep getting footage in addition to any major deal, the FWA insisted on this. Ehh, gossip is as gossip does, I guess.

Where does this leave GPW? EPW? ICW? IPW? SCW? BCW? FCW? WAR?

You tell me.

That's disappointing news.At a time when British Wrestling needs a boost, it's a real shame that FWA/TWC have essentially buried all other UK promotions.The more popular the British Wrestling scene becomes in general, the bigger the potential audience is for TWC. I don't understand why they would do such a thing.

The Frontier Wrestling Alliance is proud to announce that on March 4 th 2004, a five-year contract was signed to make the FWA the sole and exclusive UK promotion on the new Wrestling Channel.

Great news for the FWA.Bad news for British Wrestling as a whole (imo).The Wrestling Channel would have been the perfect place for various UK feds to have got nationwide exposure and create more interest in Live Wrestling in various parts of Britain. For example, I've seen reports of loads of British shows which are held only a couple of hours away for where I live. But just reading results of said shows doesn't convince me to make the effort to see that fed live. Seeing them in action on TV could do that.But it's all irrelevant now, isn't it.

Its not good, and I am not happy about it.BUT, at the end of the day its business. The FWA are protecting its interests and obviously made a great case to the channel and struck a good deal. To be honest show me a company in the UK would not have done the same given half a chance. I would have I think :/ The channel is also looking out for its own interests, its not interested in promoting British Wrestling, its job is to make to money. The FWA will be like the WWE of the UK, and by keeping the competition off the screens makes them more powerful. It will either work or fail only time will tell.Well done FWA, I hope it works for you....Gary

This is fucking shocking news and Alex Shane and his croonies should be ashamed of themselves, as should Herbie.All along people were saying how TWC is the ideal oppertunity to get British wrestling back on the map then this goes and happens? FWA clearly are so selfish and coulnd't give a fuck about other UK promotions which would be fair if UK wrestling was firing on all cylinders and raking in millions per year , but it isn't. Up and coming promotions like GPW,WZW,SCW,BCW and other up and coming British promotions have been shat on by FWA. And it's one hum dinger of a shit.Shocking, shocking news.

Guest The Masked Avenger

This is fucking shocking news and Alex Shane and his croonies should be ashamed of themselves, as should Herbie.All along people were saying how TWC is the ideal oppertunity to get British wrestling back on the map then this goes and happens? FWA clearly are so selfish and coulnd't give a fuck about other UK promotions which would be fair if UK wrestling was firing on all cylinders and raking in millions per year , but it isn't. Up and coming promotions like GPW,WZW,SCW,BCW and other up and coming British promotions have been shat on by FWA. And it's one hum dinger of a shit.Shocking, shocking news.

This situation is indeed one hum dinger of a shit, get it round ye FWA.

Guest The Masked Avenger

YOU UNGRATEFUL BUNCH OF BASTARDS!!!!WE'RE THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE WORLD LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET A WRESTLING CHANNEL WITH FREE SHOWS FROM THE BEST AND BIGGEST PROMOTIONS AROUND THE WORLD AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS MOAN!!IF I WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE SKY I WOULD BE OVER THE MOON AT THE PROSPECTUS OF SHIT LOADS OF FWA MATERIAL AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS CRITIZE.THIS IS REALLY SAD, AND MAKES YOU UKFF'ERS LOOK LIKE A COUPLE SAD PATHETIC INTERNET IDOITS.

Fuck off bitch, Im sure they are glad FWA is on TV but are merely pointing out it is better for the UK as a whole if other UK Promotions were allowed onto the channel, seeing as it is realistically the only channel they will be able to get on to.After all if the UK scene is to prosper which is in UK fans best interests competetion to the FWA is needed. Edited by The Masked Avenger