Final Colston Hall, Bristol show - Doug Vrs Jonny!

WhizzKid

If you think the All-Star product is that bad, then why keep going?

Well, I didn't go last month. Or the month before... I got totally disillusioned when they forgot about all the storylines they'd built up (Doug Williams turning on his tag partner PN News, for one) and just ran (admittedly good to decent) matches that didn't make sense. You know, killing the attendances dead and necessitating a move away from Colston which isn't being explained by Whizzkid because there's no way to put a positive spin on it?And the reason I keep going on about All Star whenever there's a thread, Guvnor, is because they constantly false advertise and use tributes/kiddy characters, which all contribute to wrestling in general having a horrible public image in Britain. I would assume you knew this, as you're a worker and all, but if you have your head up your arse I can see how you missed it. It's not just Dixon (I've gone off on rants about Oric too, but people don't tout Oric as the best promoter in the country), but if my constant harping on makes a few people go 'Well, why should I go to this shit tonight?', then I'm helping British Wrestling get on, in a small way. Do you see?And I won't even touch Mad Eli, and Dixon letting him into Colston for free, to watch... well, not the wrestling, let's leave it at that. You're based in the Westcountry and you're a worker, you know what I'm on about...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I was making is why keep labouring the fact that the guy doesn't like All-Star? It's not like it's only been brought up once or twice when they've done something bad. It's every single time there is a thread on the promotion.Back on topic, it's a shame about wrestling at the Colston Hall coming to an end after such a long history there. Does anyone have any favourite memories from the shows there over the years?

• Paid Members

Well there's the Jody/Jonny ladder match which was pretty damn good, but I WON'T go into detail about a certain event during that match (Moj and Adder know about it, and that's that :crazy: )For me it would have to be when the Power Rangers finally beat the Superflies for the Tag Team Titles around 7 years ago in a ladder match- the Flies were shit-hot, and no matter what the Rangers did they couldn't beat the cheats... until the ladder match.

And the reason I keep going on about All Star whenever there's a thread, Guvnor, is because they constantly false advertise and use tributes/kiddy characters, which all contribute to wrestling in general having a horrible public image in Britain.And I won't even touch Mad Eli, and Dixon letting him into Colston for free, to watch... well, not the wrestling, let's leave it at that. You're based in the Westcountry and you're a worker, you know what I'm on about...

Has it ever occurred to you that there may be other reasons for advertised wrestlers not being there sometimes? I know from running shows myself that the lineup you start with in your head quite rarely becomes the lineup you end up running with on the night. This can be for a number of reasons, including injuries, other commitments, and so forth. Admittedly, some false advertising does go on sometimes. Even then though, it's not always intentional - some promotions print a massive run of posters for shows way in advance of them and, between the time of the poster run and the show, things change.And, incidentally, on the second point, I think I know what you're referring to, and I don't see what that has to do with anything we're talking about. I don't agree with it, but it has no basis in this conversation. And, yes, I am a worker, but I'm not based in the West Country, although I do work some shows down there.

• Paid Members

Has it ever occurred to you that there may be other reasons for advertised wrestlers not being there sometimes? I know from running shows myself that the lineup you start with in your head quite rarely becomes the lineup you end up running with on the night. This can be for a number of reasons, including injuries, other commitments, and so forth. Admittedly, some false advertising does go on sometimes. Even then though, it's not always intentional - some promotions print a massive run of posters for shows way in advance of them and, between the time of the poster run and the show, things change.

sorry to barge in, but it has to be said that while it's completely understandable that things happen to make the card change, Dixon waits until the last possible moment to inform people. That last moment being when they pay their money and get in the door. It's very difficult to quickly knock out a new run of posters to distribute, granted, but Brian doesn't even bother to change anything on the posters, even if the wrestlers pull out with plenty of notice to do so. Take last month for example- it was supposed to be Doug v Robbie Edited by sephjnr

I too get very bored with Moj's perpetual problem with Allstar. Sure they do some things which may not have the fans best interests, but your beloved FWA didn't exactly make a good showing by announcing they would have an Xmas event, and then leave the line "big announcement coming soon" on their website for about 5 weeks. No one seemed to worry about that cos FWA can do no wrong in your eyes.It is a shame the attendance at most of Allstar's regular shows is down from what it was years ago, but that is not Dixon's entire fault. It is true that most of the time they don't really give the fans much reason to come back the next month, but their shows are 85% of the time better than FWA shows, as they have more variety and don't rely on "spot fests", and the wrestlers actually wrestle instead of doing ballet.The FWA may seem like the saviours of UK wrestling with cos they sell out 500 seat venues once every 6 or so weeks, I'd like to see them run 500 seat venues 3 or 4 times a week all year and see how much success they have then.Obviously I seem to be comparing FWA to Allstar for no reason, but it is cos Moj seems to think FWA can do no wrong, and it seems everytime "allstar" or "brian dixon" gets mentioned on here we get the same crap from him.Also:

I do agree with some of the crticism levelled at All Star in that it is rolling out the same sort of show it has done for numerous years without much new or exciting, as seph said no real way to connect with any of the wrestlers exvept those guys like Doug and Jonny who are nationally famous through FWA etc...

I can't see how you can say Doug and Jonny are nationally famous through the FWA when they work for Allstar all over the country all through the year and have been for longer than they have been for FWA. FWA on the other hand has done a handful of shows in the North in their 4 year history, and never done a show in Scotland or Northern Ireland like Allstar have.

Moj, I am afraid your 'I hate All-Star' gimmick has gone stale (like, ages age). It is time you come up with a new one, for example, perhaps you could act like a stereotypical Canadian. That would be good, the next Mountie~~Oh, and back on topic, it is a shame that the Colston Hall shows are coming to an end after so many years.~King Koyote~

Also:

I do agree with some of the crticism levelled at All Star in that it is rolling out the same sort of show it has done for numerous years without much new or exciting, as seph said no real way to connect with any of the wrestlers exvept those guys like Doug and Jonny who are nationally famous through FWA etc...

I can't see how you can say Doug and Jonny are nationally famous through the FWA when they work for Allstar all over the country all through the year and have been for longer than they have been for FWA. FWA on the other hand has done a handful of shows in the North in their 4 year history, and never done a show in Scotland or Northern Ireland like Allstar have.
My apologies, I did word that point very badly, didn't I? What I was attempting to say is that while it is very important to put someone "over" with how they wrestle in the ring, play on the crowd during the match to understand the character and boo/cheer as required. It also helps an awful lot to put them on the mic occassionally and explain their motivation/intentions in a feud, this I feel helps connect the fans to a wrestler in a more meaningful way, building up that bond can help lead to repeated attendence, rather than letting people get cheesed off and not come back.In other promotions wrestlers, not just people like Jonny and Doug get the opportunity to do this, but when they are wrestling for All Star they come down work the crowd, do the match and leave, almost workmanlike. It effectively isolates each match rather than stretch an event or match into something more meaningful.Does that make more sense?

One thing i still havent grasped yet is why u all seem to hate All Star i mean if u really think about is Brian Dixon producing a show that every1 would want to go an see i see it as a family show, old school stuff, something that hes prob been doing for decades, it obvioulsy works or else they wouldnt have shows or be able to book doug an jonny or get a crowdAnother thing ive noticed: Stalling: As ive said be4, first show i went to it really pissed me off cause all the showboating lasted at least 10 mins but recently thats come down alot so i can tolerate itI also dont get this false advertising stuff, robbie brookside always seems to make these shows an hes there main guy so what if some of these famous names dont make it, ur goin to see a show at the end of the day bit pointless goin to see 1 guy, i mean when me and DDL and Joey Hayes went seein American Dragon at All Star sure him bein on the card somewhat influenced the decision but we prob woulda gone anyway...All Star gives guys who wouldnt normally get the op to work a crowd the op to do so seein as non marks go to shows like that to cheer an boo an not mark out for every moonsault or whatever, also beneficial for new wrestlers to so they can gain more experience because each card is different and most guys can get booked...Low attendance also shouldnt be an issue i think they do a good job seein as they dont plug there shows too much, this is all my opinion anyway, i still go to shows regardless like cause i enjoy old school stuff...Shame about this Colston thing too...

This one's probably best aimed at sephjnr..Is there an "official" reason why they won't be promoting wrestling at the Colston Hall again, by that I mean who had made the decision, is it Bristol City Council as a result of the Colston's upcoming renovations, or is it the decision of All Star?

Edited by TheAdder

• Paid Members

This one's probably best aimed at sephjnr..Is there an "official" reason why they won't be promoting wrestling at the Colston Hall again, by that I mean who had made the decision, is it Bristol City Council as a result of the Colston's upcoming renovations, or is it the decision of All Star?

I haven't the faintest idea :blush: I've heard nothing from the Council *yet*, so fer the moment assume it's down to Dixon.

Back on topic, it's a shame about wrestling at the Colston Hall coming to an end after such a long history there. Does anyone have any favourite memories from the shows there over the years?

Unfortunately I haven't been to the Colston Hall for a number of years, but did attend regularly up until 5 or 6 years ago. Some of the favourite memories of the shows there would be the Dave Taylor/Robbie Brookside V Dave Finlay/Doc Dean match which went to a 30 minute draw and still remains the best wrestling match i've had the pleasure of seeing live. Also the Finlay V Rocco, Finlay V Collins and Collins V Rocco feuds.Going back to Moj's comments, i'm not sure when someone making a business decision to move venues was such a bad thing anyway? I'd imagine hiring the Colston Hall doesn't come cheap anyway so even if you're getting 400-500 people there would still leave you with 1500 empty seats...it makes sense to move. Your beloved FWA, for example, have cancelled 3 shows over the past year i'm guessing due to business reasons, isn't that the same? The same company have held about 20 shows over the past year with, I guess, at least 5 of them not as originally advertised. This equates to a quarter of all their shows which probably no worse than All Stars record.The fact that people say All Star are the number one promoter in the UK is simply because arguably they are...200-300 shows this year, a 4 month British tour by one of the best young workers in the world, regulalry using the best workers in the UK. If you look on their website already they've got dozens of shows announced for the New Year, quite a few in venues they have never used before, or not used for some time, yet other promoters are struggling to find venues for one show a month!!?

You can harass me for being picky about the little details, but the little details MATTER to people who pay money and expect a certain match after weeks of anticipation. Dixon is *extremely* lazy and shoddy with keeping the fans up to the news.

What amuses me is that you and Moj can pick holes in All Star shows but you can do the same to any promotion if you feel the need. Anything levelled at All Star can be levelled at most other promotions. It amazes me that in your words you are "picky about small details" when you are often wrong abou small details yourself. Doug Williams Vrs Rob Brookside was never billed for the last Bristol show, it was the Brookside Vrs P N, so when you feel that small detail is so important and don't even know the details yourself (a bit like saying Pete Collins has never retired before) it shows that these details you are so picky about matter not. All Star put on a good show month after month and that's what a good wrestling fan wants.As for moving to a new venue - read the local press Seph. The council say wrestling isn't a part of the entertainment they want at the Colston Hall and the lack of support the venue has given wrestling by not putting up publicity material, not including it on venue publicity suggests that they have tried to kill off wrestling at the venue over the past couple of years. That together with ticket prices being put up and the apparent down period in wrestling at the moment explains why 200 to 300 fans turn up at the Colston Hall now as opposed to double that in the recent past. Still that's a very good figure for a wrestling venue to get each month and despite what you say, the FWA get a similar figure at there Broxbourne shows these days. It's very sad that wrestling is ending at the Colston Hall. It was the first place I saw live wrestling and have been a regular since an early age. The standard of wrestling has always been high and even now, with no support from the venue, it outdraws most shows in this country. The fans are loyal and passionate and having travelled to a lot of UK venues, the Colston Hall has one of the great crowd atmospheres with people really into the action.

exvept those guys like Doug and Jonny who are nationally famous through FWA etc...

That comment is very subjective, I first heard of Doug through Hammerlock, UWA and UCW, same really for Jonny and Jody. If you really think they made their name with their (on average) 12 gigs a year for FWA in my opinion you are very mistaken. I guess you might counter this with comments on the mainstream publicity FWA has got, but when UWA first got on L!ve TV it was featured in many of the broadsheets not just the tabloids.