Final Colston Hall, Bristol show - Doug Vrs Jonny!

WhizzKid

After a run of 50 years, the Colston Hall in Bristol will have it's final ever wrestling show next week. The long running venue has always been one of the top UK venues and has had regular wrestling seasons for decades with bi-weekly shows taking palce up until the early 90's. Shows have continued even thoughout the low period of live wrestling in the UK during the mid 90's when the Colston Hall was one of the only regular venues to run wrestling shows. Just about every British and visiting international wrestler has appeared at the venue and over the years the venue has hosted some of the top feuds and matches seen on UK soil. Colston Hall management have decided to end their relationship with pro wrestling, even though live wrestling will continue in the city from eraly next year.The final show at the Colston Hall on Thursday 18th December 2003 (7-45 pm start) will be headlined by a clash of two of the UK's top stars with the All Star Promotin's People's title on the line. 'The Anarchist' Doug Williams will put his title on the line against the hugely popular Jonny Storm in what is likely to be an excellent finale for wrestling at the venue.Also, making a special appearance will be 'Main Man' Marty Jones, who has appeared at the venue more than any other wrestler. The outspoken star from Oldham is scheduled to appear in tag action in what very well could be his final match. Others scheduled to appear include 'Industructable' Skull Murphy, 'Brooklyn Brawler' Julio Torres, 'Wildman' Whiplash, etc etc.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation:Colston Hall has a couple of thousand seats in it. All Star draws about 150 every month. So now they're moving to a dodgy leisure centre somewhere.We're advertising Doug Williams V Jonny Storm, but it probably won't happen. Please come!Also: Marty Jones is wrestling! We can't get away with calling it a retirement match any more, as he's had several million of them, so we'll go 'It might be his last match!' in order to entice some suckers through the door...

If the match happens, it sounds great. Doug and Jonny tend to always (from what I seen) put on good matches

Yep, if it happens, it'll be good. I can't see Doug/Jonny being completely awful, even allowing for the ten minutes of stalling/crowd not giving a shit/Robbie Brookside running in and squashing both...

• Paid Members

/me would like to wager there being no publicity on this until an hour before the last show starts, on the regional news- and nothing at all since. Sad, but believable. I've also heard rumour from one person that the run in the Fairfield Halls in Croydon is on its last legs too, probably for the same reason.Could Dixon's wrestling equivalent of Ice Cream be turning sour with the people at last?EDIT: Oh look. Over at bigtimewrestlinguk.com, they've made a Christmas animation for the front page. Whoever had the simple foresight to do that ought to be made head booker immediately.

Edited by sephjnr

/me would like to wager there being no publicity on this until an hour before the last show starts, on the regional news- and nothing at all since. Sad, but believable. I've also heard rumour from one person that the run in the Fairfield Halls in Croydon is on its last legs too, probably for the same reason.Could Dixon's wrestling equivalent of Ice Cream be turning sour with the people at last?

But ice cream tends to be nice, even if it's not of the highest quality... nice metaphor though :)

Translation:Colston Hall has a couple of thousand seats in it. All Star draws about 150 every month. So now they're moving to a dodgy leisure centre somewhere.We're advertising Doug Williams V Jonny Storm, but it probably won't happen. Please come!Also: Marty Jones is wrestling! We can't get away with calling it a retirement match any more, as he's had several million of them, so we'll go 'It might be his last match!' in order to entice some suckers through the door...

Translation:I'll slag off anything on this forum that has something to do with All Star Promotions 'cause I'm a sad git. Can't appreciate any wrestling in this country unless Alex Shane tells me it's good. :laugh: Please list all of Marty Jones' "several million" retirement matches. He's never retired or mentioned it until now. Once again you don't know what you're talking about Moj.

Translation:I'll slag off anything on this forum that has something to do with All Star Promotions 'cause I'm a sad git. Can't appreciate any wrestling in this country unless Alex Shane tells me it's good. :laugh: Please list all of Marty Jones' "several million" retirement matches. He's never retired or mentioned it until now. Once again you don't know what you're talking about Moj.

Agreed. What a complete and utter dickhead!

• Paid Members

Translation:I'll slag off anything on this forum that has something to do with All Star Promotions 'cause I'm a sad git.  Can't appreciate any wrestling in this country unless Alex Shane tells me it's good.  :laugh: Please list all of Marty Jones' "several million" retirement matches.  He's never retired or mentioned it until now.  Once again you don't know what you're talking about Moj.

Agreed. What a complete and utter dickhead! And I'm NOT just saying that because someone else justified my opinion for me so I don't have to so I can prattle on like a retarded parrot.
Agreed! Whizzkid, you do know that Moj has been to several of these shows, right? He's watched them sat by me for some time now, and he can see the good in anything that's put before his eyes. And he does try to buy into it.The problem is that what's bad about the matches completely overshadows the good. And what's bad?well....* the completely unnecessary stallfests at the start of EVERY bout.* nobody who is under the age of 40, or is not a moderate-profile Brit worker, is capable of grasping the crowd's attention with every move. Or indeed, is capable of working the stick or doing anything in character apart from some hackneyed Heel-ing and the odd sell-job.* certain groups of fans CANNOT buy into things that aren't blatantly obvious. These groups, sadly, make up a LARGE proportion of Dixon's audience.* there's 0 fan service- nothing to keep them interested in the wrestlers before the start bell and after the end bell. After they leave the arena and go home, THAT'S IT. Finito. See you next month. NOT exactly a good thing for All-Star.That enough, or do YOU WANT MORE ©?

Well I'll come to the support of Moj as well, as until I moved I went to most of the Colston shows over the last almost two years. He doesn't only see the bad in things, he does have a great enthusiasm for the good as well. I appreciated that being in attendence and his enthusiasm and the comment added to my enjoyment of the shows. :)I do agree with some of the crticism levelled at All Star in that it is rolling out the same sort of show it has done for numerous years without much new or exciting, as seph said no real way to connect with any of the wrestlers exvept those guys like Doug and Jonny who are nationally famous through FWA etc... Of watching both TWA and All Star I enjoyed more the TWA shows that were promoted in the Colston Hall, they may not have got everything right... But there was a lot more excitement, life to it, even booking a lot of younger wrestlers, albeit green, but giving them valuable experience.

• Paid Members

Translation:I'll slag off anything on this forum that has something to do with All Star Promotions 'cause I'm a sad git.

Sephjnr: I just happened to see this thread and comments made by people that I agree with, so I said as much. Not that I really feel the need to justify myself to a cretin like you. Incidentally, for a 'smart' net fan to accuse me of acting like a parrot is about as rich as Bill Gates!Just about every thread that gets posted about All-Star has some sort of smart-arsed comment in by this NewportMoj person, and it's always the same thing again and again. If you think the All-Star product is that bad, then why keep going?

• Paid Members

Sephjnr: I just happened to see this thread and comments made by people that I agree with, so I said as much. Not that I really feel the need to justify myself to a cretin like you. Incidentally, for a 'smart' net fan to accuse me of acting like a parrot is about as rich as Bill Gates!Just about every thread that gets posted about All-Star has some sort of smart-arsed comment in by this NewportMoj person, and it's always the same thing again and again. If you think the All-Star product is that bad, then why keep going?

I said you acted like a demented parrot simply because you DIDN'T justify your opinion, and both me & Moj have justfied ours. Time and again. Nothing wrong with having an opinion as long as you can back it up. If you choose not to justify it, the only person who looks stupid is *you*, and not the person you're attacking.And if you want to know why Moj keeps going to All-Star? You'd have to ask him that, but make sure you don't insult him again without good reason. I realise you're a wrestler and not just a "smart fan", so to protect your fragile ego I won't call you a demented parrot again.