Wrestling Observer's "100 Greatest Wrestlers"

Guest Low-ki

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a fair enough list to me.Only additions I would have made would have been Chris benoit and Dean Malenko.Otherwise, Dynamite Kid and Undertaker are a little low but then Jerry Lawler and Teery Funk are a little highIn agreement with Lucha Fan. my first thought when I read through the list was surprise that Negro Casas wasn't included ... bit of a surprise as I haven't seen that much of him - guess he made an impression!Going back to an earlier question I believe Danny Hodge is Jim Ross' favourite wrestler ever - so presumably he was pretty decent.

Rikidozan was way more "punch-kick" than HHH actually.....

Fair enough.

Plus, a "punch-kick" style hardly hurt guys like Austin, Rock, Hansen or Kawada, did it ?

No, but what I'm trying to get at here is that the ones that didn't do that style generally have the complete package, which is what the list is meant to be based on.

That

• Paid Members

but not as dire as you seem to be making him out to be

I dont have anything against Andre, and in now way am I trying to make him sound dire, I just dont think he should be at number 6.if you look at it by the 3 factors,draw, yeh fine.......he was probably in the top 3 draws of all time, thats fine.charisma, I would only say average, nowhere near the 6th most charasmatic wrestler of all timewrestling ability, come on, theres noone who could say Andre the Giant is the 6th best in the world when it comes to wrestling ability.so what im saying is that out of the 3 categories, he only really excels in one of them.

Well Rock's got two massive arena sell outs under his belt (I know he didn't main event Mania 18 but to give credit to Jericho and HHH would be crazy)

Both shows were pretty much sold out weeks in advance of any matches being announced for either show.

and some stunning figures during that period, especially during 2000 where post Foley and pre Austin he was the only major draw.

Erm, Triple H?

ratings always go up when he returns nowadays he just doesn't stay long enough for it to have an effect

He’s first return back in the summer of 2001 popped a couple of big numbers, now he does nothing major: Smackdown ratings- January 2003Jan 2: 3.4Jan 9: 3.4Jan 16: 3.4 Jan 23: 3.5Smackdown ratings- February 2003Jan 30: 3.2 (Rock’s return show)Feb 6: 3.3 Feb 13: 3.2 Feb 20: 3.4 He didn’t exactly set the program on fire did he?Oh and obviously the buy-rates for No Way Out (Rock vs. Hogan) and Backlash (Rock vs. Goldberg) were hugely disappointing.

I swear I've seen Muchnick mentioned as a wrestler (albeit a lower one) on a couple of cards before he got into promoting. It could be me just getting mixed up with any one of the NWA founders, mind.

Lister will probably know but I can remember Da Meltz saying Muchnick never wrestled.If he did indeed have an in-ring career then I assume it was pretty unremarkable.

If you can think of over 5 wrestlers that drew more then Bret in the WWF you'd be strugglig...

Hulk Hogan Steve Austin Bruno Sammartino Billy Graham Bob Backlund Andre The GiantAntonino RoccaPedro Morales Triple H Randy Savage The Rock Roddy Piper Do I need to keep going?

If you can think of over 5 wrestlers that drew more then Bret in the WWF you'd be strugglig...

Hulk Hogan Steve Austin Bruno Sammartino Billy Graham Bob Backlund Andre The GiantAntonino RoccaPedro Morales Triple H Randy Savage The Rock Roddy Piper Do I need to keep going?
Bret wasn't responsible for the WWF's decline in the early 90s, and without him 'steadying the ship', they might have declined much more.

• Paid Members

Also the name of the game is wrestling and name 1 wrestler who WRESTLED better then Hart over his WWF career?

if we are talking about consistently wrestling good matches I think you would be hard pushed to find someone better than Angle. I know that sounds as if im just saying it because he's current etc. But I genuinley believe he is the most consistent wrestler the WWF / WWE has ever had.