Regal returning?

Rob Lowe

Guest schumacher

Poor worker or not. Let's put REGAL and ANY WWE worker in the ring without pre-scripting a match and you will find out who is able to WORK a match. The word WORK in this case means WORK a match and not choreograph 3 minutes of rope running with added crash bangs......

Tou fuckin' che

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I enjoy watching William Regal. WWE doesn't allow him to wrestle like he could because they want to put boundaries on their performers. That's WWE's fault.There is a reason why Chris Jericho's and Chris Benoit's wrestling is less exciting now than it was in the mid-1990s, and that's not because they have suddenly lost their skills or become older. The problem is "WWE style".

you may have a good point there. a lot of performers are frowned at for outshining the main eventers but regal has gone way past toning his style down.

• Paid Members

Poor worker or not. Let's put REGAL and ANY WWE worker in the ring without pre-scripting a match and you will find out who is able to WORK a match. The word WORK in this case means WORK a match and not choreograph 3 minutes of rope running with added crash bangs......

Tou fuckin' che
Many of the matches widely regarded as the greatest ever were 'choreographed' ahead of time. Just because they weren't spontaneous, does that mean those matches shouldn't be regarded as truly great.Why would you care, as a fan, whether a match is laid out beforehand, or not? As long as the match is good, it shouldn't matter how it's produced. Edited by MoChatra

Talking of matches being laid out. I remember in Mick Foley's book he talks about one match "being good, or at least good if you like spontaneous back and forth action" (think he may have been talking about a match against Kevin Sullivan), or something along those lines. Which would suggest to me that even the wrestlers themselves believe a match has to be scripted to some degree in order that they can put on the best performance possible.I like William Regal but don't like Shawn Michaels or Rey Mysterio, who I would assume have far more fans, that is why there is so many different styles of wrestling - people have different tastes!

Going slightly off the subject something Animal said in a recent interview got me thinking, the last time the Road Warriors were on RAW they had a 3minute match that was supposed to go about 12 minutes, but as usual Austin over-ran his segment with his alcoholic ramblings, LOD's match was suddenly turned into 3 minutes and was then called crap. How can anyone have a good match in three minutes, OK, there are some examples, but seriously, bar a match involving someone like Rosie who probably isn't able to go 15 minutes do to his size, why not let wrestlers do what they're supposed to do and wrestle?Oh, sorry I forgot RAW has to have Austin talking about when, where and how he's going to get drunk for 20 minutes Shane McMahon pretending to be hard for 20 minutes and then Chris Jericho moaning about Austin for 20 minutes, there's an hour take into account advert there left with about 45 minutes to fit the entire RAW roster in...crap.

Tou fuckin' che
Many of the matches widely regarded as the greatest ever were 'choreographed' ahead of time. Just because they weren't spontaneous, does that mean those matches shouldn't be regarded as truly great.Why would you care, as a fan, whether a match is laid out beforehand, or not? As long as the match is good, it shouldn't matter how it's produced.
I didn't say ALL choreographed matches were bad. I said REGAL is a good worker. Although Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan (WM) and The Rock vs Hulk Hogan (WM) were good matches (and choreographed), I am sure you agree that the matches didn't need good workers but wrestlers who were OVER. Had Test and Albert done the exact same matches, they would have been booed out of the building even if the WORK itself was better.Someone else mentioned that a wrestler could be good even if he didn't wrestle classics all the time. There is a reason why you all discuss Regal in this thread. He stands out. Ok, he is British but he does also have great facial expressions, fascinating mannerism and unique wrestling style in WWE. If Test or Albert disappeared from WWE next week nobody would have taken note because they are "WWE style" clones who is no different from other "card fillers" and can be replaced by ANY other "WWE style" clone, except for Albert's hairy body.

don't like Shawn Michaels

What! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
If you have a search through the archives I have made my feelings on Shawn Michaels abundantly clear in the past.

Although Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan (WM) and The Rock vs Hulk Hogan (WM) were good matches (and choreographed), I am sure you agree that the matches didn't need good workers but wrestlers who were OVER. Had Test and Albert done the exact same matches, they would have been booed out of the building even if the WORK itself was better.

Which is the exact point I made on Page 3. If Regal and Malenko had had those exact matches, they would have been shat on by marks and smarks alike, because they weren't over. The WWE style is entirely built around people doing their signature moves for pops. If a wrestler's over, they can have a 'great' WWE style match. If they're not, they can't.Otherwise, how do you explain Lance Storm?

Well , whoopdee-do. From one bunch of boring crap to another. . Regal fitted in great in New Japan aswell.

Regal did have a good run in New Japan…7 YEARS AGO!As I said earlier, I used to be a fan of Regal’s work back in the mid 90’s, yet the modern day Regal is clearly a shadow of his own self in terms of motivation and attitude towards his craft.

Surely a fairer comparison would be this: Could Angle have great matches in AAA?

Go watch his two singles matches with Rey Misterio Jr from last autumn. Angle clearly was smart enough to adjust his style to fit in with Rey’s Lucha esque style, in fact Angle tapped into Rey’s in-ring style far better than what the likes of Chris Benoit & Eddie Guerrero did in singles matches with Rey in the following weeks.Regal couldn’t even be bothered to modify his style to work with Chris Jericho. Kurt Angle > Steve Regal

I enjoy watching William Regal. WWE doesn't allow him to wrestle like he could because they want to put boundaries on their performers. That's WWE's fault.

Nobody is asking Regal to morph into Test overnight, yet Regal needs to slightly adjust his style so that he can work with the Test’s of this world. The incredibly frustrating thing is that Regal is totally capable of doing this. Looking at his mid 90’s work in WCW, yeah sure he was able to tear it up with similar style workers in the likes of Fit Finley, Chris Benoit and Larry Zbyszko, yet he was also able to work effectively with totally opposite workers such as Sting, Psicosis and Ultimo Dragon by changing his style to fit in with his opponents strengths (Such as bumping big for Sting’s high spots or playing the bully against the smaller Dragon)Regal needs to drop the attitude and modify his style so that he can work decent matches with the opponents he’s matched up against, otherwise his WWE career will continue to be nothing more than a series of disjointed and plodding matches that invariably bore the fans to tears.

Guest schumacher

Tou fuckin' che
Many of the matches widely regarded as the greatest ever were 'choreographed' ahead of time. Just because they weren't spontaneous, does that mean those matches shouldn't be regarded as truly great.Why would you care, as a fan, whether a match is laid out beforehand, or not? As long as the match is good, it shouldn't matter how it's produced.
I certainly don't believe that a choreographed match can't be a classic but I think the point that was made was a fairly obvious counter-point to you saying Regal is a poor worker when it obviously takes a lot of skill to call a match on the fly.I would most certainly agree with Mr. Danger's point that Regal does need to adjust his style to fit in with the current WWE if that

The merits of Regal as a wrestler aside (I do tend to agree that his WWE matches have not been what they could be, but do think he's an excellent wrestler), I remember an excellent moment when the WWF could have gone a different way with him. One of the funniest skit men there is, remember an angle when Steve Austin and HHH were teaming, when (IIRC) Undertaker's wife got punked out. Though it seemed obvious to the watching audience that it was Austin who was responsible for this, HHH was getting the blame from everyone. He went in to Commissioner Regal's office, expecting sympathy. The usually affable (to heels anyway) Regal laid a verbal roasting on him, which got a massive reaction from the crowd, and made Regal look like an absolute bad-ass. Of course within minutes he was back to making funnies, but I remember that as a classic moment...

I still love watching his matches, even if they get the proverbial dud rating, every single match I've seen of his I've liked due to the little things he does when he wrestles, even the matches that stink

I agree very much with this. With Regal, the 'finished' product may not be worth as many snowflakes as that of Angle or Edge, but Regal has a lot of them cool and unique reversals, locks and details that I always enjoy seeing.Is he a good worker ? That depends on how you define a 'worker'. Is Hogan a good worker ? Ebessan ? Tommy Dreamer ? To be honest, I couldn't care less. After watching wrestling for close to two decades, I know what I like and what I dislike. Regal I like.