Your top 10 wrestlers of the modern era?

Lambeau Leap

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order:Shawn Michaels - When people used to diss McMahon for not using Raven properly, a cliche that often popped up was 'he could do it all'. My benchmark of someone who could 'do it all' was Michaels and to be honest, in comparison Raven didn't even come close. It's hard to fathom just how much entertainment value he brought out in a match with even the most unfancied of opponents. Looking back over old tapes, he just always seemed to make a match worth watching. Even looking back at the likes of Wrestlemania 8 and the match with Tito Santana it just jumps out so evidently how good he was and the potential he carried. Across the board, various different opponents and various different gimmick matches, he still sets notch for people to aim for. Ric Flair - I could probably go on about this all day, he just had 'it'. At first glance there was something that just sparkled, not physically dominating; not particularly tall nor OTT on the muscles, he just looked the part. Such an undeniable aura of belief in himself which just transcended through his matches and promos. I think what made him so good as a heel - without stating the obvious - he made it believble. The smaller, unfancied man, nobodys going to believe any silly heroic nonsense against a monster; cheat to win, Defence is the best form of offence. I can just contently sit down and watch Flair matches for hours on end, each time no matter how often i've watched it there is always something class hidden from the casual eye which you pick up on and have to admire, just the subtle things in his selling and body language which are just superb.La Parka - This will no-doubt raise a few eyebrows, but everyone to their own. First time i saw La Parka in WCW i chuckled away to myself for a few minutes thinking in a general 'oh god whats this' attitude; 6ft 3", beer belly, wearing a skeleton outfit and playing air guitar on a steel chair whilst wearing a sombrero - what else can you really think?..........Ten minutes later i had found a new wrestler to love. "He's not meant to do that is he?" - well is he? Your not meant to have someone that size doing what he does. It was baffling, suicide dives, topes, you name it he was doing it. It was fantastic, i just couldn't get enough. The guy just oozed charisma and the fans LOVED him. The amount of 8 man tags on PPVS or even opening matches on Nitro, etc he just totally warmed the crowd up without actually doing anything OTT. He just seemed to have a natural talent for performing and playing to the crowd and became one of the reasons i watched Nitro each week towards the end. When he wasn't playing the comedy side of things, he could be a damn good wrestler, especially as a heel. Teasing to dance, the crowd pop and then he just gives the 'nah, fuck it' signal and carries on beating down his opponent. Not a very good reasoning there i suppose, but at the end of the day wrestlings about being entertained and La Parka always pressed the right buttons for me :) Shinjiro Ohtani - As things go in general, not just wrestling, first impressions always last. Thats the basic one behind this guy. I've maybe only seen slightly over half a dozen Ohtani matches but everyone of them is just like a coaching manual in being a good bad guy. His execution and physical demeanour is just exquisite, body language, timing of moves etc is superb. First i saw him was against Delfin at J-Cup 94 and as i say he just leaped out of the screen and grabbed my attention so well. Simple but effective, telling a story, chop down the little man and take that leg out. But fucking hell did he take that leg out. Every move, every inch of the leg covered - anyone watching can see what he's doing, just demolishing this poor bastards leg and looking like it's just a normal day in the office for him and an enjoyable on at that. The subtle things like that which can just wind a crowd up so much have to be admired. It's kind of like, im a dickhead but you can't knock me because im so good at what i do because im technically sound. Ivan Drago of wrestling :laugh: Sabu - *credibility of posts ends here* ;) Something different. Total nuts, a spot machine. People will know this is what i hate about a lot of modern wrestling, just total spot fests, and in a way it's blatantly hypocritical to turn round and list Sabu in sometihng like this. But hey, i don't like tomatoes but i like tomato sauce! His faults are clear for all to see but i just took to him straight away. So much effort and energy in every performance i've seen, he just seems to go like a train, 100 miles an hour and puts on a show to please the fans. Much like Foley, just a born entertainer who wants to give people their moneys worth. Given the right opponent he had some cracking matches and on the other side of the coin he had some horrors. Whenever someone mentiones ECW, it's always Sabu that i think of.Kurt Angle - Just a masterclass in wrestling really, from both the technical performance side of things and the show side of things too. The way he adapted in such a quick time to pro wrestling and the speed in which he worked his way to the top of the WWE basically tells the story in itself.Chris Benoit - Much like angle except never really hit the right notch with the non-wrestling side of things. When your that good though it doesn't matter IMO. The sheer brute force and itensity of his matches is incredible and everything is just so crisply executed and so graceful. Just a joy to watch.Malenko - Same as Benoit really, just a natural talent. So crisp and so smooth, everything was done with such grace and elegance but yet at such high speeds. It just looks like your watching a masterclass at time, everything was just so flawless and at such a perfect tempo. Taka was another who fell into this category for me. Just makes everything look so laid back and effortless.Guido - Something different. I love the shoot style, the hardman gimmick, it was all very credible - amateur take downs, submissions. On his own he had some stormers with Tajiri, Super Crazy, etc and as a tag-team the original FBI were just fantastic heels, never failed to get the crowd wound up. As the FBI MKII, they had some fantastic tag matches which will long live fondly in my memory - particularly the Ballroom Blitz match against Tajiri/Whipwreck which is proably the best tag match i've seen.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

Yeah. Some people had already clicked. But it was fun to play along.

If Steve had bothered to spell protuberance correctly, maybe I would have too. ;):devil:
Ha~! What's the spread on his next mysterious dissapearance/re-named re-appearance?

• Paid Members

Yeah. Some people had already clicked. But it was fun to play along.

If Steve had bothered to spell protuberance correctly, maybe I would have too. ;):devil:
Ha~! What's the spread on his next mysterious dissapearance/re-named re-appearance?
Well, he's apparently gone off New Japan again (is that like 20-odd times he's lost and then regained interest in that company this year alone?), but once he regains that Inoki love, me thinks he'll probably rename himself Chin Nihon Fan. Once the New Japan love goes, he'll probably disappear, only to return again approximately three months later under the guise of 'Will You Stop!?'. :crazy:

Guest rage against the wwe

On the "ridiculous" comment:I wasn't ripping you for picking those guys. Bobbins saw your top ten (with Jarrett and Diamond) and said "Jeff Jarrett. Seriously Jeff Freakin Jarrett?" I was simply saying that surely he should have said "Simon freakin Diamond?" as he is an stranger pick than JJ, IMO.See my point? Not that I give two shits even if you do ;)

Oh, OK every thing's cool now :thumbsup: I thought you were taking the piss outa my pick's... but you've cleared it up for me that you were'nt :D I wont change my sig... but I will put Fight the war f**k the norm at the bottom of my sig :laugh:

La Parka - This will no-doubt raise a few eyebrows, but everyone to their own. First time i saw La Parka in WCW i chuckled away to myself for a few minutes thinking in a general 'oh god whats this' attitude; 6ft 3", beer belly, wearing a skeleton outfit and playing air guitar on a steel chair whilst wearing a sombrero - what else can you really think?..........Ten minutes later i had found a new wrestler to love. "He's not meant to do that is he?" - well is he? Your not meant to have someone that size doing what he does. It was baffling, suicide dives, topes, you name it he was doing it. It was fantastic, i just couldn't get enough. The guy just oozed charisma and the fans LOVED him. The amount of 8 man tags on PPVS or even opening matches on Nitro, etc he just totally warmed the crowd up without actually doing anything OTT. He just seemed to have a natural talent for performing and playing to the crowd and became one of the reasons i watched Nitro each week towards the end. When he wasn't playing the comedy side of things, he could be a damn good wrestler, especially as a heel. Teasing to dance, the crowd pop and then he just gives the 'nah, fuck it' signal and carries on beating down his opponent. Not a very good reasoning there i suppose, but at the end of the day wrestlings about being entertained and La Parka always pressed the right buttons for me :)

YES! If you're going to do a "dubious" pick then at least choose one of the coolest mother-fuckers walking the earth. *Starts doing the Parka strut for no particular reason

La Parka - This will no-doubt raise a few eyebrows, but everyone to their own. First time i saw La Parka in WCW i chuckled away to myself for a few minutes thinking in a general 'oh god whats this' attitude;  6ft 3", beer belly, wearing a skeleton outfit and playing air guitar on a steel chair whilst wearing a sombrero  - what else can you really think?..........Ten minutes later i had found a new wrestler to love. "He's not meant to do that is he?" - well is he? Your not meant to have someone that size doing what he does. It was baffling, suicide dives, topes, you name it he was doing it. It was fantastic, i just couldn't get enough. The guy just oozed charisma and the fans LOVED him. The amount of 8 man tags on PPVS or even opening matches on Nitro, etc he just totally warmed the crowd up without actually doing anything OTT. He just seemed to have a natural talent for performing and playing to the crowd and became one of the reasons i watched Nitro each week towards the end. When he wasn't playing the comedy side of things, he could be a damn good wrestler, especially as a heel. Teasing to dance, the crowd pop and then he just gives the 'nah, fuck it' signal and carries on beating down his opponent. Not a very good reasoning there i suppose, but at the end of the day wrestlings about being entertained and La Parka always pressed the right buttons for me  :)

YES! If you're going to do a "dubious" pick then at least choose one of the coolest mother-fuckers walking the earth. *Starts doing the Parka strut for no particular reason
Too true.I was fortunate enough that the fantastic Mr CTXrussomark made me a comp featuring basically everything La Parka did in WCW. The strut just blows anything away, especially when it's a singing strut.