• Paid Members

The interviews today have basically amounted to "Prime Minister, this D-Day veteran says you're an absolute fucking joke.  What do you have to say to him?" at which point Sunak looks like he's going to cry.

• Paid Members

BBC reporting that Labour have finalised their manifesto after negotiating with Unite all day. I would assume Unite were happy with the proposals in it because it doesn't look like a fuss has been kicked up. Hopefully we see the back of zero hour contracts and awful practice of re-hiring the same staff on worse contracts. One of my old employers fell foul to both of them, thankfully after I left them, but I have mates there that even in management positions were forced out the door on shit contracts.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, FLips said:

BBC reporting that Labour have finalised their manifesto after negotiating with Unite all day. I would assume Unite were happy with the proposals in it because it doesn't look like a fuss has been kicked up

I thought Unite aren’t endorsing it? If not they’ll likely be withdrawing their usual donation. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c722zkj9ly8o.amp

Edit - There was talk about recognising Palestine as a state too but that would lose them a lot of funding too, maybe they crunched the numbers and seen who they could live without. And unsurprisingly for a party called Labour, it’s probably the workers. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought Unite aren’t endorsing it? If not they’ll likely be withdrawing their usual donation. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c722zkj9ly8o.amp

Edit - There was talk about recognising Palestine as a state too but that would lose them a lot of funding too, maybe they crunched the numbers and seen who they could live without. And unsurprisingly for a party called Labour, it’s probably the workers. 

Oh blimey, well that's bad. I'm following on BBC Live and they mentioned it had been agreed but not that Unite didn't back it, so I wrongly assumed they did.

1 minute ago, FLips said:

Oh blimey, well that's bad. I'm following on BBC Live and they mentioned it had been agreed but not that Unite didn't back it, so I wrongly assumed they did.

Unite have come under a fair bit of criticism from their members over how toothless they’ve been with Labour abandoning their core union support, so I think (going by comrades in Unite) that the rank and file have said they’d cancel their membership if they didn’t start standing up for them. Maybe that’s been a big factor. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Unite have come under a fair bit of criticism from their members over how toothless they’ve been with Labour abandoning their core union support, so I think (going by comrades in Unite) that the rank and file have said they’d cancel their membership if they didn’t start standing up for them. Maybe that’s been a big factor. 

I'm not very up to scratch on the Labour/Unite partnership. Is it a case of Unite independently supporting whichever party they felt had their best interests at heart or is it specifically with Labour contractually?

Is there a risk of Unite aligning elsewhere politically if they feel their interests best suit the Unions?

18 minutes ago, FLips said:

I'm not very up to scratch on the Labour/Unite partnership. Is it a case of Unite independently supporting whichever party they felt had their best interests at heart or is it specifically with Labour contractually?

Is there a risk of Unite aligning elsewhere politically if they feel their interests best suit the Unions?

You know the way there’s a feeling that you’re obligated or entitled to vote Labour if you want the tories out because what else are you going to do? It’s the same with unions and Labour. It’s always been that Labour have been the party to represent unions, after all that’s what the party was founded on, but more and more unions are ending their affiliation (RMT being one, and it’s always fun watching Mick Lynch point that out whenever he’s accused of manipulating Labour via strikes)because they don’t represent the union members anymore. 

Unite are one of the big ones though and carry more clout, and with their financial strength it could go a long way in setting up a new party for the workers, or endorsing and growing an existing one. As always pisses me off, there are so many to choose from!

I think the greens got in in my local area. I don't really wanna vote for Labour as I don't like starmer. Greens wouldn't be a wasted vote as they might get the seat in my local area. I'm considering lib dems because they are competing with reform for seats and I want them to have as little seats as possible. However lib dems are very unlikely to win the seat so it would be a wasted vote. 

• Paid Members

Unless they have a manifesto that doesn't quite practice what they preach, I think my vote very well may be with the Lib Dems or Greens if they run in my area.

I think Labour and the Tories made a fool of themselves, and they were stood up there with Nigel Farage. Every one of their answers wasn't an answer, it was an attack at each other.
Penny Mordaunt clearly had it drilled into her to only ever answer anything with that ÂŁ2000 tax figure regardless of context and I don't think it did them any favours. It's one thing to lie in the sense you promise one thing and then not deliver it, but this new breed of Trump-style politics where you can just outright repeat the same publicly debunked lies over and over is frustrating.

I think Angela Rayner had a couple of strong answers but ultimately, and as was mentioned by the other candidates, they're Tory-lite at this point. I don't think I could vote for them in good faith unless my area came down to only Tory vs Labour and that would be out of necessity to get the Tories out and hope Labour didn't fumble the ball. Every time she spoke I just didn't believe what she said.

The bit were they were both screaming at each other and all the other participants actually got embarrassed was a really bad look for both of them.

Stephen Flynn and Rhun ap Iowerth I think came across fantastic and if I was a Welsh or Scottish viewer tonight they would easily get my vote. They gave sensible and honest sounding answers without resorting to too much name-calling, and Stephen especially gave what you would expect to be unpopular answers on immigration and nuclear deterrent but he was so straight forward and convicted about them that he managed to get them over. Give me a straight "no" any day of the week compared to how Carla from the Greens handled it by dancing around figures to say no in a non-commital way. I've really liked what I've seen of him on both shows now. Again it's a shame I can't vote for either of them.

Say what you want about Nigel Farage and his junk party but it's easy to see how he wins people over in the way he presents himself as a down to earth everyman gobshite. Again, there are things he says which fundamentally I agree with. As someone who spent years in retail dealing with shoplifters and Romanian crime gangs targetting the towns and cities in my area, what he says about shoplifting and people being able to do what they want is true, if anything he was underselling it. His issue is everything has racist undertones rather than genuinely wanting to sort the problems out. He says what his crowd want to hear but I don't believe he has a genuine solution to any of it.
It was no surprise that he spent most of the debate only using buzzwords, talking about immigrants and acting like a dickhead, but that's what people like about him. It was enough for Trump to become President.

I think Carla Denyer had some really strong answers and while I don't think her quiet demeanour (compared to the rest of them) came across as very confident, it is refreshing to have a young leader who isn't resorting to shit flinging at every opportunity. You do have to bear in mind though these people have to be up there with world leaders and tackling important world issues and conflicts and I'm not sure if her nature gave that confidence across, similarly to the other Green Co-leader the other night.
That being said I agree with their policies more than probably any of the other parties and I'm excited to see how they cost it because if it was sensibly done I'd love to put my support in a party that prioritised green issues and human rights. Unfortunately the current two-party system we have combined with the facts that a lot of Green policies are seen as too radical or impossible to achieve mean they might not do too well in this country of cynics.

Daisy Cooper was strong too I think. Seemed fairly genuine and had more of a stage presence than the Greens do. I think they came across as a safe middle ground between the more radical ideas of the Greens and the more realistic ideas of the other parties. Again though I'm not sure what Ed Davey is offering as he got talked down on the last debate show and spent the rest of his time at Wet N Wild or wherever he was. I think if you're not voting Tory or Labour this might be the most "safe" vote to actually get results, but again it will come down to the manifesto.

Overall I think it was a good debate show. I'd love one without Labour and Tories there to hear full answers that weren't tainted by feeling like you had to mention them. I think four of them had a strong night and outside of the shouting match on the right side of the stage there was a lot of good points made. Labour completely lost my vote though, unless like I said, it comes down to necessity in my area to get the Tories out.

For me it's going to come down to a few priorities.

• Green energy and nature/green area reservation
  • Taxing the rich and big companies
  • Controlled immigration with a focus on skilled workers and being close to net zero that doesn't involve inhumane acts
  • Tackling local crime and providing local services
  • Unprivatising basic needs like water, energy and public transport and funding important services like the NHS and schools
  • Fair workers rights and wages
  • A focus on refurbishing or outright rebuilding derelict and unused privately owned properties instead of flattening all the green areas to build ugly new build houses everywhere. Yes it's a bit NIMBY but the place I grew up on now is surrounded with new builds from every direction and we've lost huge fields, woodlands and farmland to build it all when we have multi-story abandoned office blocks and unfinished flats sitting rotting in the town.

We'll just have to see what's in the manifestos but I'm hoping Green and Lib Dem run in my area.

• Moderators

I wasn't as convinced by Rhun but apart from that your assessment is really similar to what I took away from the candidates. Particularly on Farage - he surprised me a bit tbh; there's enough grains of truth there that I can see how people get taken in by him.

There was a surprising amount of focus on local services this evening which I really appreciated. Too often there's an over simplification of just talking about a target number of homes to build without anyone mentioning the infrastructure required to actually have functional communities.