Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Here is a thread (sorry Chest) on Denmark, which has national service but, surprise surprise, has other things too. 

Oh, I wasn't defending the Tories or the policy rollout in any way. Just saying that, in the broad sweep, a form of 'national service' isn't necessarily jingoistic right-wing bullshit.

It's just our government that made it so.

There's a way that the policy could be reworked to be part of a broader package of civic renewal, focused on benefitting the prospects for young people (especially those from lower income families).

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Oh, I wasn't defending the Tories or the policy rollout in any way. Just saying that, in the broad sweep, a form of 'national service' isn't necessarily jingoistic right-wing bullshit.

Don’t worry, mate, I knew that. I think the distinction is pretty much as you say. National Service and Civic Service are different things. The latter benefits society, the former doesn’t. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It's probably worth saying, that a lot of European countries either have National Service or are looking to bring it in. Macron brought it into France a few years back.

I think the tories have made it pretty clear what they think of the policies of other European countries. If someone tells Sunak and Farage this then this policy will be cancelled in a week. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I think the tories have made it pretty clear what they think of the policies of other European countries. If someone tells Sunak and Farage this then this policy will be cancelled in a week. 

I think there are a few European countries who have policies Farage approves of. Granted, we are talking about ones from the 30s and 40s, but still. 

EDIT - Re Lucy Allen. Not anymore, she’s been suspended. 

Edited by Keith Houchen
My dad wasn’t a toolmaker.

• Paid Members

I predict that Labour will win the biggest number of seats but based on the May elections, probably not enough to form a majority.
A simple majority needs 326 seats. A working majority requires a good 335 (there are 650 seats). This is because some seats will be lost at by elections, and sometimes MPs will be ill or troublesome and not follow orders. At the last election they only won 202 seats. Since then boundary changes to make seats roughly equal in size have the effect of taking a couple more seats away from Labour, making the chances of them getting a workable majority even harder.
There is no enthusiasm for Labour. Starmer is uninspiring and seems intent on just being as uncontroversial as possible.
My guess is they will get around 320 seats.

There is no enthusiasm either for the Lib Dems. By default they will win a few Tory seats as a protest vote. Maybe as many as 60 in total.

The SNP will probably loose a few seats due to their internal problems. Down to about 40.

The Ulster seats, a few Plaid Cymru and a couple of Greens will account for about 25.

Leaving the Tories with about 205 - down from 365 last time.
I think they will do better than some apocalyptic predictions. 

Part of the reason the Tories won't do so badly is because of Reform. I think the Tories went early to prevent Reform from getting any wind behind them, with Farage possibly throwing his hat into the ring. Now Farage has ruled himself out. I think he was caught off guard. Reform are on about 12%. With Farage they may have got nearer 20% (but still no seats probably) which would have been catastrophic for the Tories.
As it is, under Tice, Reform are boring and cowardly. What do they stand for? Nothing much.

So I think there will be a hung Parliament with a new Lib-Lab pact. A weak Government with a feeble Prime Minister.

I'm still going with none of the above personally.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I'm still going with none of the above personally.

Has the Tories' promise of national service not won you over?

This is pretty terrible. Starmer has said whenever asked that the investigation is ongoing, which itself begs loads more questions. 

Right wing party fixer and paid Zionist shill Luke Akehurst is rumoured to be standing in an as yet undecided safe seat for Labour. Remember not to vote for him if true. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Has the Tories' promise of national service not won you over?

No. I get the feeling that Sunak is putting it out there as he knows he won't be Prime Minister in a couple of months and won't have to honour it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Boycie said:

No. I get the feeling that Sunak is putting it out there as he knows he won't be Prime Minister in a couple of months and won't have to honour it.

I just thought it would be of interest considering it's one of the top priorities in the charter of the political party represented in your avatar.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I'd imagine that the greatest hits are been readied for wheeling out. Bringing back corporal punishment in schools, bringing back the death penalty, scrapping benefits and bringing back the workhouse. I imagine the depths to which they will stoop will know no bounds. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
I know what I know. No no.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I just thought it would be of interest considering it's one of the top priorities in the charter of the political party represented in your avatar.

Sunak isn’t of the correct heritage to be a citizen though, so hard to support his policies. It’s a real quandary for the ethnonationalist whacko contingent isn’t it. He wants to train young men to defend Britain from the browns but he himself is also a brown.