News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

27 minutes ago, BigJag said:

The death of the Iranian president further muddies the waters.

How so?

Don’t think there’ll be many around upset that the Butcher Of Tehran should’ve got a new helicopter or one that wasn’t 50 years old. Obviously dickheads are already claiming Israel are to blame. 

3 minutes ago, BigJag said:

I was thinking in the sense that his death will further destabilise the middle east.

It would be good if his demise mobilised the people of Iran to overthrow the regime. 

18 minutes ago, BigJag said:

I was thinking in the sense that his death will further destabilise the middle east.

Nah, to the extent Iran is a cult of personality (its not really), its for the Supreme Ayatollah, not the President.

It may make for a rocky few months for Iran domestically as potential replacements jostle for position (given the Ayatollah's age there was always a feeling that this President would be his last, and probably his ultimate successor) but nothing they can't handle.

Iran already purged their moderates and rebels, what's left is almost a uniquely singular hive mind of hardliners and conservatives. They'll basically continue business as usual.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Donald Trump found Guilty on all 34 counts. To be sentenced July 11 at 3pm UK time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-69069142

Someone on Reddit rightly clarified that while this has been spoken about as a hush money trial, it's actually about election interference which is a felony. You would think and hope he's in a terrific amount of deep shit.

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FLips said:

Donald Trump found Guilty on all 34 counts. To be sentenced July 11 at 3pm UK time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-69069142

Someone on Reddit rightly clarified that while this has been spoken about as a hush money trial, it's actually about election interference which is a felony. You would think and hope he's in a terrific amount of deep shit.

If I understand it correctly the election interference is what makes the falsifying of the business records a felony. Falsifying business records is a misdemeanor on its own. 

• Paid Members

The scary thing is he's probably still going to win the election. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

The scary thing is he's probably still going to win the election. 

I'd expect so. Be interesting to see how this is received in swing states but his core voters won't be dissuaded as this absolutely supports his narrative. His MO has always been weaponised victimhood. This is just more 'evidence' that they (a word that does a lot of heavy lifting) are trying to sabotage him etc. Plus, there's the fact that Biden is awful and people are getting really angry about inflation and immigration over there. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

I'd expect so. Be interesting to see how this is received in swing states but his core voters won't be dissuaded as this absolutely supports his narrative. His MO has always been weaponised victimhood. This is just more 'evidence' that they (a word that does a lot of heavy lifting) are trying to sabotage him etc. Plus, there's the fact that Biden is awful and people are getting really angry about inflation and immigration over there. 

I'm not so sure. Not downplaying how useless Biden is, but I think the key thing with Trump second time around is that there's no way this will have won him any supporters. So it's a question of whether his existing base and voter apathy from non-Trump supporters will be enough to see him through, and I'm not convinced it will.

I'm a fool asking for consistent logic from these people, but I wonder if far fewer of his supporters will actually bother voting for him this time, because why bother voting in a system that you fully believe to be rigged? 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I wonder if far fewer of his supporters will actually bother voting for him this time, because why bother voting in a system that you fully believe to be rigged?

Sadly not, firstly they believe the system is only rigged when they lose, but also they need to vote to "offset" all the fake votes coming for the dems. So they will be out in force. That makes it incredibly annoying seeing a bunch of libs proudly posting about how they aren't going to vote this election.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, neil said:

Sadly not, firstly they believe the system is only rigged when they lose

That's what I suspected, sadly. They don't actually believe things are rigged, so much as they're like toddlers who have learned the phrase "IT'S NOT FAIR" when their interpretation of "fair" is "giving me what I want right now". 

I still stand by that the best thing coming of this is that he won't have gained any support from it, but it'll be complacence and apathy wot wins it.